TVs & Home Theaters

Rant

SAMSUNG HT-C6930W not playing New realese 3d blu ray!!

by ajd2000 / September 18, 2012 2:40 AM PDT

I have had my samsung ht-c6930 blu ray since christmas 2010, been working fine till last couple months.

It hs now stopped playing the lasted release 3d blu ray films, but still plays my older ones.

I have the latest uk firmware uprgaded 1013.2

the film loads fine gets to the part which says turn on your 3d glasses now, then the screen stays blanj and it wont play the 3d part.

all normal blu ray releases work fine just not the 3d.

the films that wont work are John carter 3d
the immortals 3d
and now the marvel avengers film

i have called samsung but have been told there are no new updates and just to live with it or buy a new 3d blu ray player.

anyone got a crack or non samsung update, or will a diufferent devices firmware work on this ???

thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG HT-C6930W not playing New realese 3d blu ray!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG HT-C6930W not playing New realese 3d blu ray!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-571741/samsung-ht-c5900-wont-play-the-avengers-3d-blu-ray/?tag=mncol;3f contains the usual replies.

My thoughts on this are.

1. The rush to copy protect content is creating issues.
2. Item 1 and how the system they created means that makers of BD players are buying into updating firmware in BD players on a never ending cycle.
3. Imagine if you were at a remote location without the internet. You won't be able to get this updated or your Windows to activate.

Something has gone very wrong in the tech world.
Bob
Collapse -
Great example of why...
by Pepe7 / September 18, 2012 5:09 AM PDT

...I tell my friends/clients with HT systems to keep an updated PC on hand w/ Blu Ray drive & HDMI out port. It takes 5 minutes to free your system of such playback restrictions/firmware shenanigans. It's very legal if you are not re-distributing or copying any content, and limiting yourself to playback at home, non-exhibition/commercial purposes

Collapse -
by ajd2000 / September 18, 2012 8:11 AM PDT

i have a laptop, problem is it aint a 3d blu ray drive only a blu ray.
and would defeat the object of having a surround system.....................unless we know a site to get a firmware update

Collapse -
Since we are not in a vendors forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

When folk want to know my choice about BluRay players my answer is a question. The question is:
Who holds the patents on Blu-Ray?

With that out of the way, if I want to play BD media, I use a PS3. I'm sure there are cheaper players but for some odd reason the maker seems to hold all the cards on this one.
Bob

Collapse -
Agreed, but not perfect either
by Pepe7 / September 19, 2012 2:02 PM PDT

Sometimes there are discs that even a Sony PS3 can't playback, or at least not w/o updating its firmware too. YMMV.

Collapse -
HTPC
by Pepe7 / September 19, 2012 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

I feel your pain. But that's why you set up a proper HTPC for your surround setup. You can also choose the drive(s) & software you install on this rig.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG HT-C6930W not playing New realese 3d blu ray!!
by 3coursedinner / September 18, 2012 11:14 PM PDT

could be a couple of things:
1. A firmware update is required and apparently Samsung is not inclined do so. Samsung may be waiting to see how many people complain. My BR player manufacturer has almost monthly FW updates which sometimes include fixes for a couple of BR movies that users have had problems with. FW updates from manufacturers are not regular, especially those that have a slew of models and they have to go through all of them so as to issue an update.
2. I have an Oppo BDP93 player and a Panasonic VT 3d TV and sometimes even with the Oppo there are handshake issues and I get the message that I don't have a 3d display. I sometimes have to manually force the 3D -- not the manufacturer's fault sometimes but the way the BR disc was authored. I go into the Oppo settings and change 3D from auto to 3D and it plays or I have to go into the Panasonic and change to 3D again. If your video signal goes from the BR player into a receiver and then to the display there's possibly another handshake issue which I don't get because I have the video go directly to the display and audio to the AVR so I can't address this particular aspect.

Collapse -
by ajd2000 / September 19, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

hi mate

thanks for the advice i tried going into the settings to force it to play but still didnt work.

looks like a new 3d blu ray player needed

I will be making a complaint to smasung to see what they suggest first.

next will be a phonecall to watchdog in the uk, my friends partner is a researcher on the show and will have alook into. i'll get her to look at these forums as there are alot of unhappy customers of samsungs on here.

Collapse -
(NT) htc6930w not playing 3d
by nkrenz / November 19, 2012 1:06 AM PST
Collapse -
htc6930w not playing 3d
by nkrenz / November 19, 2012 1:08 AM PST

same thing for me - just started having this problem aout 3 weeks ago trying to play 3D Avengers DVD and 3D John Carter, but the strange thing is that the 3D previews play just fine, Frankenweenie etc, just when the main attraction starts the screen goes blank and the display shows MENU. I tried pausing and playing again but the screen turns pink and green - I have updated to the latest version of software - what next??

Collapse -
Next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 1:28 AM PST

Call it in and report it. Samsung and other makers are not pro-active but reactive on such issues.

Also, you have the CNET Samsung forum to use here.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.