Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking won't turn on

by mac51894 / November 29, 2009 8:57 AM PST

2 years ago I purchased my Samsung HPT4254, and this morning I turned on the tv, and after 5 minutes it shutdown and kept clicking as if it were powering on. I removed the shell, and took out the power supply to look for blown circuits, but I didn't see any bulging. I had a samsung technician come out, just to have him tell me it would be $300 to repair, but all he told me is that it was the power supply. Can someone please give me an answer as to what to do, and what this white gunk looking stuff all over the power supply is? It look almost like white gorilla glue.
I have pictures of the power supply, and a video of the white gunk.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 42" plasma model # HP-T4254x/xaa
by littlebitty35 / January 16, 2010 4:34 AM PST

I have the same tv and same issue. I too was told it would be 300.00$ to fix. I did find the replacement power panel at partstore.com and encompassparts.com. the board is bn44-00161a. I have not purchased one yet, I want to see if there is another way to fix without replacing it first.

Have you fixed yours yet, if so what did you do.

thanks Yvonne

Collapse -
Same issue happened 2 days ago....
by soukbomb / January 31, 2010 7:33 AM PST

TV made a strange pop noise then went off. Now it just clicks whn I turn it on. Removed the back, no visible failures issues. Seeing the same gorilla glue goo as described above. Any luck changing out the power board?

Collapse -
Re: samsung
by littlebitty35 / January 31, 2010 10:56 AM PST

I have no installed one yet. I am waiting for the board to arrive. I will change it out and see what happens. If you heard a pop one of your capcitors had to blow. Look beyond the power board sometime it does not have to be on the power board itself. remove the lower guard and check those boards as well.

Here is the link to a site that has the repair manual to this plasma tv. http://www.manualsonline.com/ you can download the user and repair manual free.

I will post my results of my attempt to fix this expensive pos...lol

Collapse -
white stuff
by littlebitty35 / January 31, 2010 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: samsung

Oh by the way the white stuff is used when the tv is put together to hold capacitors in place while the person solders, it is harmless.

Collapse -
This guy repaired the PSU
by soukbomb / January 31, 2010 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: white stuff
Collapse -
by littlebitty35 / February 3, 2010 3:53 AM PST

Ok, Power board / PSU is in and Tv powered on and working... Although I noticed the picture is not as clear and a single pixel line going across the screen....I did clean the picture up by using svideo cable till i can get the hd cable.

Collapse -
VS and Va adjustments
by soukbomb / February 3, 2010 7:25 AM PST

Good to hear it is up and running. This was from the guy who repaired the last HPT4254:

From ME:
Hey John,
I do have one more question.
Do we need to make adjustments after replacing the board? The first person to replace their PSU had some strange symptoms and I noticed in the service manual there is a mention of making voltage adjustments either manually or by thumb drive. Seems like other stuff may have been damaged?

his response:
You may need to make Va and Vs adjustments, but not always, if so the easiest way is to find the Va and Vs adjustment pots on the PSU and mark where they are, then adjust one way slightly, if the picture gets better, you are going the right direction if it gets worse go the other way and since you marked the original position you can always go back to the original if the picture has no change and then try the other pot. You could also try measuring the resistance of the trim pots on your original PSU board(it's just a variable resistor) and preset the Va and Vs trim pots to the same resistance as the posts in your old PSU. If you need any more assistance just let me know.

Forgot to mention you can also measure the output V of at the pots and adjust them to the recommend voltage output for Va and Vs listed on the Panel of the TV, on a white sticker.

Collapse -
Fixed with new PSU board
by soukbomb / February 6, 2010 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: VS and Va adjustments

Installed the new board today. The old board showed some significant solder damage from some kind of short I assume. I would suggest anyone with this issue remove the old board and inspect the underside. Seems like a good way to be certain it is a power supply issue. I also adjusted the Vs and Va settings to match those on the previous board. No idea if this translates from board to board, but it was a suggestion of a repairman on this post. Reconnected and powered up the TV. Day one, all is good. Picture looks fine. No obvious damage. Ready for Super Bowl tomorrow. 122.00 total for the board.

Collapse -
by littlebitty35 / February 6, 2010 10:25 AM PST

Congrats, enjoy the game. I guess some issues with these boards are easy for some to fix, but I decided it was better to replace than risk destroying the tv all-together. Let's say our prayers that they last longer than the originals!

Collapse -
Got my HPT4254 repaired here too
by beespark / June 22, 2011 11:19 AM PDT

Seconded - my HPT4254 failed catastrophically after about 3 years, it turned itself off and on again, then the power supply blew up with a loud pop. There were scorch marks by MOSFET QX801 (see the blog link, above).

Collapse -
PARTSTORE.COM IS A FRAUD!
by johnswb / November 4, 2010 6:32 AM PDT

I ordered this part from partstore.com and now the site is gone, no working phone number. Beware I just got scammed. I never received the part.

Collapse -
hpt4254
by endo602 / June 11, 2011 4:11 PM PDT

I had the same promblem got so bad with the clicking and shutting off that i couldn't watch it so i took off the back to see if any of the capasitors were bad they were all ok. there was a lot of dust so i took a air compressor and blew out the dust real good and tapped on the relay boxes that was about six weeks ago and it has worked great every since. I think samsung is aware of this but they wont tell you they just say this model does not have the same promblem as the others and want to send some one out for a service call. Give it a try u have nothing to loose. hope this helps if it does drop me a e-mail and let me know. endo602x@ameritech.net good luck....

Collapse -
Samsung hpt4254
by scootzzz / August 26, 2011 11:50 PM PDT

Mine is doing the samething...I called Samsung and was told that its only models made in 2007/08 and mine is 07...but not our model isn't included!!! So after pretty much telling the guy what i thought of them I got NOTHING out of them!!! I paid 2000 bucks 4 yrs ago and used it very minimal .....I am so upset right now over it!!!! I checked mine as well and the Capasiters all look fine.....so i guess now i have to get a Price on fixing it!!!! I hate You Samsung!!!!!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator replace offensive terminology on 08/29/2011 at 12:59 PM PT

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung hpt4254

And watch that language please.

Always post the model number, (you put in the year), country and the Transaction Number so the Ambassador can look into this.

Also, if you are opening up the devices, you may be reducing the chances of a Samsung intervention.

This is just a tip about what seems to help folk in the forum.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.