Samsung

General discussion

Samsung HPT4254 On/Off Clicking Issue

by delfy87 / December 4, 2009 3:10 AM PST

So like many other posting to this forum I have On/Off issues clicking issues with my 20 month old HPT4254 plasma. Samsung support and executive support continues to deny that there is any issue and will glady send someone to look at the tv, on my dime. Has there been on consensus on what is wrong with the HPT 4254 model -- if so I have not seen it on this forum. It appears the capacitors are bad on the LN models but I have an HPT model in which the capacitors are fine. I'm willing to by a new power supply and install it but has Samsung done anything to improve the power supply component? I'm guessing no, since they even deny anything is wrong. What a total waste of $1,500 on this plasma. I have no problem launching weekly 'updates' on my Facebook and Twitter pages letting my 8,000 contacts know what kind of garbage Samsung is attempting to peddle to consumers.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HPT4254 On/Off Clicking Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HPT4254 On/Off Clicking Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung HPT4254 On/Off Clicking Issue
by delfy87 / December 7, 2009 3:08 AM PST

So nobody has an update on what's going on with the HPT4254 models?

Collapse -
This is how to fix it
by siliconweb / January 7, 2010 9:23 AM PST

I had the following issue: 12 months ago my Samsung LCD 46" started taking 2 attempts to turn on. Slowly over the months it went from 2 attempts to 3 to 5 to 10 and today I have no idea how many times it took to switch on but I do know it took around 5 minutes for it to turn fully on but when it did turn on it had speckles on the screen. I would then have to turn it off and then back on (only took 1 attempt after it was warmed up) for the screen to become fully clear.

Well today I fixed it myself for $15. I will post it on Youtube so stay tuned. I bought 3 capacitors ($5 each) BUT if you have time you can buy them online for around 50c to $1 but I didn't want to wait so I bought it from my local electronic supply shop. Anyway, I will let you know when the video is on YouTube. IT WAS VERY EASY to do!

Collapse -
Same problems plus green lines and purple dots
by danisampa / February 1, 2010 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: This is how to fix it

Please let us know when you put the video on YouTube. There are many people getting ripped off to fix this problem. My Samsung LN-4061F is 2 years old and started with 1 clicking sound to now about 6. When it turns on, I see green vertical lines and several purple dots. I leave it on a few minutes, turn it off and on again the the lines and dots are gone. I know eventually one day the tv wont turn on at all, so I'd like to know how to fix it myself instead of paying $500 to someone to fix it. I can basically buy a new one for this amount!!!

Collapse -
Click problem of 42in" samsung model LN-T4042H
by mlagbre / March 17, 2010 11:43 PM PDT

I would like to know if anyone is having the same problem with there tv. As you stated the tv is out of warranty after 2 years and no the tv want turn on. It started with a clicking noise for about 5 minutes turn turns on. but now it want turn on at all. I too contacted samsung customer service surrounding this problem and was told they would do nothing. It will have to be on my dime to fix it. I spent over $1,400 for the set, only to find that it was a piece of junk after two years. If I knew this I would have bought this set. I heard someone say that there is a fix for this problem and that he will post it on u tuble. Have he or she posted this fix. Also I know for a fact that a sue was brought against samsung in NJ and won. Will anyone be interested in bringing a class action sue against samsung. This seem to be a major problem that need to be addressed. A lot of people will lose there dollar if this isn't brought to the public attention.

Collapse -
Samsung HP-T4254
by blacksea1 / April 16, 2010 6:28 AM PDT

Hi, I have a Samsung HP-T4254, will turn on and then after a minute or so shuts down and starts clicking, i do have some electronics back ground, and can do it myself if i knew what the problem was. Thank You

Collapse -
Does anyone have instruction on how to fix this power issue?
by rogerholifield / June 15, 2010 8:47 AM PDT

Does anyone have instruction on how to fix this power issue on the HP-T4254

Collapse -
cliccking samsung tv plasma 50"
by cleiderd / October 10, 2010 8:51 PM PDT

check all capacitors they are all in good condintion, what else could be?

Collapse -
samsung hp-t4254 power supply probs
by 78esprit / November 27, 2010 12:57 AM PST

i have a samsung hp-t4254 tv. am having the same "clicking on/off' cycle probs as many others. i have removed the power supply. visualy no probs. no obvious blown caps, both fuses good, no solder arching on back of board. i havent done any electronic diagnostics in my life but can sure solder/replace items. dont even know how to check caps with my $50 meter......... it looks like refurbished boards are available for around $125...... any ideas as to what is next? rich

Collapse -
I'd look again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2010 2:03 AM PST

The BAD CAPS issue (see google) extends to more than domed tops, leakers and blown bottoms. I find I have to inspect those again as those that are new to this issue will pass a cap that I will fail. Oh, I forgot "tilters" which is another varient.

If you want to fix bad caps yourself, I'm all for that. But I have yet to use a meter on this issue.

Good inspecting,
Bob

Collapse -
2nd look at bad caps
by 78esprit / November 28, 2010 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: I'd look again.

still nothing to see. even looked at all other boards. will using a meter help in any way? rich

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2010 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: 2nd look at bad caps

The meter I used a long time ago not only measured capacitance but leakage current and ESR. That meter was over 4K bucks and not something you find outside of high end engineering houses. Plus we had to remove the cap for the test!

I'm going with no.

Your set appears to not have the BAD CAP issue. If it did, you would see the problem.
Bob

Collapse -
HPT4254 On/off Clicking Issue After The Warranty Period
by hpt4254sucks / January 20, 2010 7:28 AM PST

I have exactly the same problem with my SAMSUNG Plasma TV HPT4254 Model. It stops working just after the Warranty period experied. No wonder the store who sold me the TV was forcing me to by an extended warranty period. I believe they knew that the TV is a garbage and will stop working after the warranty period. I called Samsung Support and they told me that there is nothing else they can do since the TV is out-of-warranty. If I want it to be repaired I have to shoulder the expenses.

I believe this is a component realibility issue on their power supply component that SAMSUNG would not like to admit as this will cause them money. I have a TV which is 10 years old and it's plug-in 24 x 7 a days and never had an issue with it. It is still working these days. It was a Japanese model TV so no surprise it last that long unlike the SAMSUNG which is very unrealiable.

Anybody out there knows if SAMSUNG had accepted these as a reliability issue. And that SAMSUNG is willing to repair these free-of-charge for the sake of customer satisfaction?

If I can't get Samsung to repair it free-of-charge, I will never stop spreading to the world that Samsung Product is a garbage. It looks like nice outside but inside is a garbage.

Collapse -
HPT4254 On/off Clicking Issue After The Warranty Period
by soukbomb / January 31, 2010 7:49 AM PST

Same TV Same issue. The HPT4254 seems to not have any obvious capacitor issues. Has anyone replaced the entire power board?

Collapse -
Samsung HPT4254 Clicking problem
by Emily429 / September 19, 2010 10:29 AM PDT

I also have the Samsung HPT4254 42" Plasma TV it's doing the exact same clicking noise and shutting off and now I can't get it to stay on and Samsung will not help. I'm so mad! I will never buy a Samsung product again and I will tell everyone I come in contact with what I have gone through. What a waste of hard earned money.

Collapse -
by johnswb / October 26, 2010 1:23 PM PDT

I have a HPT4254X/XAA that is having the same problem. The TV was find for about 3 years until this past weekend. I tried contacting Samsung and couldn't get any where. I did do a service request on samsung.com and was just pointed to a local repair man. I call the local service repair shop and was told that it would cost me $38US to show up at my house. It would also cost $45US just to look at it. I'm going to open the back up and see what my power board looks like. I'm sure I can replace the power supply if that is the problem.

Collapse -
by ringwill / December 23, 2010 4:31 PM PST

It's funny how 3 years seems to be the norm with these boxes. I also have a HP-T4254 that has the same clicking problem. I called Samsung support this morning (day before Christmas eve mind you), and was directed to a local repair shop. At least the technician tried to find a way to have Samsung pay for the repair, but ultimately failed. I was quoted $300+ for repair/parts. I will NEVER buy another Samsung product ever again, as like most people with this set, paid over 1500.00 just 3 years ago.

I can't understand why LCD owners get this covered under out-of-warranty, but the plasma owners are screwed.

I am going to attempt repairing it with a new power board. Hope it works.

If there is a class action suit, please let me know.

Collapse -
(NT) mine too
by pgh1226 / December 25, 2010 8:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung HPT4254 SAME ISSUES
by drs1111 / December 29, 2010 11:25 PM PST

I have checked my Caps they all looks good. I hate to buy a new power supply. Has anyone fixed the problem that we have with out buy a new board?

Collapse -
HP-T4254
by WoR473 / January 4, 2011 5:30 AM PST

Having the same problem, relay clicks several times, then it will turn on, sometimes it will stay on all night, other times it will stay on for 2 min. All caps look good.

One thing i noticed is that on one of the relays, when it is clicking the power on the out side of the relay jumps up for just a second then back to nothing, and this repeats with the clicking, so i tried shorting the relay to "manually" make the connection but that didn't do anything.. The other relay seems to always be on, *confused* . Just wish it was bad caps... looks like i may have to buy a PSB...

Collapse -
Call Executive Customer Department
by cealvarezp / July 11, 2011 5:35 AM PDT

I have a Samsung model LNt4671FX/XAA that I bought about three years ago. It started showing the clicking noise when turning on about a month ago. A friend of mine told me it was a well known problem, the same thing happened to him and he got it fixed by Samsung for free. So I called Samsung to get it fixed. This is what happened:
I call their customer support number and reported the problem. I told them my friend had told me that I was entitled to a free repair as he was. The lady I spoke to told me she needed to see the receipt to verify if 'my model was covered by the free repair policy'. I told her I did not keep the receipt after three years and I was sure the TV was out of warranty, however since this was a well known manufacturer's problem because Samsung was using under specs capacitors I felt I was entitled to the free repair. After 10 minutes back and forth the conversation had almost turned into a screaming match with the lady denying Samsung had any responsibility. Then I asked to speak to the supervisor. The supervisor was not helpful either, but he gave me the phone number of the 'Executive Customer Relations Department'. I called the executive department and a very nice lady told me I was indeed right and that if the problem turned out to be the capacitors, I wouldn't be charged. No receipt needed. She referred the matter to a third party contractor and they called me next day to make the appointment. The third party contractor made the appointment and asked for a credit card. They said if the technician determined it was the capacitor they wouldn't charge me; if the problem was something else they would charge me for the technician visit and give me a quote for the repair. If I chose to do the repair the visit would be credited towards the repair. The technician came today and when he opened the TV we both could see the bulging capacitors (not leaking yet). He told me they were 25 volts capacitors when they had to be 35 volts. He replaced them and the TV is working fine. No charge.
What I disliked of the whole experience was that they had me go through a stressful and long conversation with the first person in customer service. They do have a policy of fixing it for free, but they don't make it easy for you. Maybe they are hoping if they make it difficult people will give up? Frankly, it is really bad business ethics. I don't think I'll be buying SAMSUNG again.

This is the number of the 'Executive Department' 1-800-522-7341. The agent that I spoke to in the executive department is agent # 85170. IF you call customer service and they try to deny responsibility insist on talking to the executive department or call them directly.

I am posting this same message in every board I find over the internet. I hope it helps other people.

Collapse -
Spam will be removed. However. Please correct the facts
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

The BAD CAPS issue was caused by some other company and has resulted in millions of dead PCs and now has spread into many maker's other product (such as this.)

Your post needs a little work to get the facts straight.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.