Samsung forum

Question

Samsung HP-S5053 plasma with sparkle / dotts

by gmtcap / April 25, 2011 8:40 AM PDT

I have called tech support now many times --- reviewed all possible issues with my equipment and cable and narrowed the issue to the Samsung TV. Enumerable dots / sparkles (white / red / green ) all over the screen --- much more visible with darker screens. Does anyone know the fix --- dmd chip --- upper lower buffers / ymain. Part numbers --- ? Samsung's authorized service estimate was $500 with no indication of part or problem. I'm not comfortable with paying this amount of money with no information. Please assist if you have a similar problem.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HP-S5053 plasma with sparkle / dotts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HP-S5053 plasma with sparkle / dotts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2011 8:52 AM PDT

Are you saying you have to pay that much if it's not fixed?

I'm encountering folk that want a full breakdown of the problem, which board is going to be replaced and why. However if you gave out that information the customer might run out and find the board and your estimate and work would not create any income. This is part of the reason why such detail is not given.

-> What's odd about your post is the mention of the DMD chip. Isn't that used on projection systems?
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-hp-s5053/4505-6482_7-31628177.html seems to show this as a Plasma.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification request
by gmtcap / April 25, 2011 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

Samsung tier 1 support supervisor suggested this was a dmd chip problem --- then again, I am not sure that he knew the difference between my plasma tv and a radio. Are you a service technician --must be. Clearly, there are so many service technician scammers --- that a $500 estimate with no indication of the fix or guarantees or anything is ridiculous. Most of us consumers want a fair explanation of the anticipated problem and fix

Collapse -
Clarification Request
"that a $500 estimate with no indication of the fix or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2011 1:40 PM PDT

"that a $500 estimate with no indication of the fix or guarantees or
anything is ridiculous. Most of us consumers want a fair explanation of
the anticipated problem and fix"

I agree. If they want 500 bucks even if the repair fails, there is something very wrong with that shop.

I see that I failed to convey why such estimates do not give such details. I suggest you find a few folk in the repair shops that will explain it to you in person.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung HP-S5053 plasma with sparkle / dotts
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2011 3:29 AM PDT

gmtcap,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.