Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HLT6187SAX/XAA DLP white spots on screen

by prairiedogger / October 29, 2012 12:51 PM PDT

My 61" DLP started the white spots about 6 months ago. It seems to be a common problem with Samsung's DLP models.
This TV still looks great but new spots are appearing and are quite distracting. It's about 5 years old.
I still have to research it more but is Samsung taking care of this or is there a fix recommended?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HLT6187SAX/XAA DLP white spots on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HLT6187SAX/XAA DLP white spots on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HLT6187S white dots
by dockshrock / October 30, 2012 10:50 AM PDT

Same problem here. Samsung's support folks claims it's just normal wear and tear and not a common problem with this model--which is of course, complete crap.
There are numerous online videos demonstrating the replacement of the DLP chip. It really doesn't look very complicated. After reading about the repair ripoffs whih often exceed the cost of a new set, I will do it myself but this will be my last Samsung product ever. They may save the cost of doing the right thing and replacing a defective part, but it wll cost them all of my future business and also that of everyone I will urge to avoid their products.

Collapse -
Are you going to include Ti products too?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2012 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: HLT6187S white dots

That DMD is in other makers too and we are seeing this in those sets as well. Be sure to include those others if you want to be sure to avoid the Ti plague.

Collapse -
Missed my point
by dockshrock / October 30, 2012 2:27 PM PDT

I have no problem accepting the fact that TI chips can fail. My issue is with Samsung's customer service sponse or lack thereof. Defend them if you must, but a company that puts these parts in their sets, finds out that they fail far sooner than they should and then fail to stand behind their product is not one from which I wish to continue to purchase any products.

Collapse -
The issue is being reported on the other makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2012 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Missed my point

There is that other issue about figure 9 of a Ti document. If you look at it you see it will wear out. No mystery.
Bob

Collapse -
figure 9?
by dockshrock / October 30, 2012 11:35 PM PDT

I'm not sure what the figure 9 reference refers to.

Collapse -
Here's the Ti document.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: figure 9?
http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/dlpdmd/133_ieeeir.pdf

Notice how lifetime is much less as temperatures rise?

So sadly, it is wear and tear and there are many studies to show how this could be a few year device. Given what I see, it's affected by temperature and humidity so higher in either and the life span drops.
Bob
Collapse -
Similar problems - lack of response
by kiwigirl5 / October 31, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

Don't expect any help from Samsung....their products all have numerous manufacturing defects and they know that. We also have a DLP TV that is experiencing problems and their solution is to try and get the consumer to exchange their TV for another Samsung all while paying the $1200 - $1500 out-of-warranty fees. Great tactic to entice the customer to purchase another product and pay for it and for that privilege they will take the defective $2400 TV off our hands . Probably fix problem and resell through a third party company.
The picture is clear and the TV is only 3 yrs old. Samsung should fix the problems - not provide incorrect info to make another sale at the expense of the consumer. What kind of company adopts such unethical business practices...SAMSUNG!!!!

Collapse -
Sorry but isn't the manufacturer of the part Ti?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 4:15 AM PDT

I supplied a document for you to look at figure 9 and figure out what's up.

Collapse -
No - it's the supplier
by kiwigirl5 / November 1, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

Samsung should take responsibly for the components that they use in the manufacture of their products...it's their job to go back to TI or whomever and seek restitution not mine as a consumer....I won't ever buy anything from Samsung again!!!

Collapse -
Capacitor Power supply problem
by kiwigirl5 / November 1, 2012 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No - it's the supplier

This is our problem...and Samsung are giving us the run around...so frustrating. See posts out there all the time for this same issue and the lack of response from Samsung Customer support.

Collapse -
Some information that may help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Parts ????
by kiwigirl5 / November 1, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

Thanks for info...our problem is knowing what the real issue with the repair/replacement of our Samsung TV. We are told that the parts needing replacement are no longer manufactured,then we are told that they are back-ordered and should be available 3 maybe 5 weeks, next they no longer support or manufacture the DLP TV's and we should get it replaced with a LED TV...somewhere between all the different explanations may be the real truth. In the meantime what are we supposed to do while Samsung tries to figure out the best way to handle this and minimize their losses with little or no concern for the customer. Three weeks now and who knows what damage is being done to the TV with these defective capacitors!!

Collapse -
Are you talking about the Ti DMD? If so, another issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2012 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Parts ????

The Ti production of DMD chips shut down in Japan when that Tsunami hit. Japan has yet to recover so while I bet most consumers don't care why there is a parts shortage. It's a shame that the story is not told by the makers.

The bad caps plague is chilling as you consider what devices those parts are found in.
Bob

Collapse -
Parts for DMD replacement
by dockshrock / November 2, 2012 12:05 AM PDT

There are a slew of Youtube videos showing how to replace the chip and its housing. It didn't seem too complex so I decided to do it myself (and just trash the thing if it fails!) The parts are available online through Amazon for about $175 including the thermal adhesive needed--at least for my 61 inch set. I am awaiting delivery and will report on the hopefully succesful outcome including time required to complete. Wish me luck!

Collapse -
HLT 6187 SAX/XAA
by Shuffler2 / November 7, 2012 6:28 AM PST

Well per the Ambasador's suggestion here I filled out a service request. The repair shop called and said I should call samsung to see if it would be covered. I did and was told the model was not covered and that it was normal wear and tear. I asked for a supervisor and was told it was not covered even though some others were.

Normal wear and tear life span for a samsung TV is 5 years according to samsung. I have never had a TV that only lasted 5 years. Had I known before I bought it..... I would have passed for a much better quality TV.

When my current bluray players, phones and other samsung appliances bite the dust, I will not be purchasing that brand again. I require quality products and per samsung's own staff they do not provide quality.

Collapse -
What I'm seeing in the designs are 5 year designs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: HLT 6187 SAX/XAA

It's all about costs. My prime example is a simple part called connectors. These are now simple low cost things that if you can find the design document look to be a 5 year part. Most last longer but it appears longevity is not something you can buy today.

Do you remember the Color Tube issues in the early days of color TVs and what happened? I think this history is repeating itself.
Bob

Collapse -
My Answer from Samsung
by Keto16 / November 9, 2012 4:19 PM PST

From Samsung Electronics Social Media Support Team :

"After thorough research, it has been determined that only specific models exhibited a slightly higher-than-normal failure rate. Although your TV has similar symptoms, research indicates that this is due to normal wear and tear. The part that has appears to have failed in your unit is not the same exact part that has been determined to fail at a higher-than-normal rate, even though the visible symptom is similar. The symptom can help indicate which part needs to be replaced, but it doesn't mean that the particular part was defective from manufacturing."

Bob is right 5 year TV according to the Industry standard. Manufacturers have been pulling this for years even in the military market, parts are sub standard and not up to spec but up to what is called "Industry Standards". BS for making junk!

Looks like I'm fixing it myself... Thanks Samsh*t

Collapse -
Video about that change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: My Answer from Samsung
Collapse -
UPDATE
by dockshrock / November 10, 2012 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: My Answer from Samsung

Just replaced the DLP chip on my 61inch Samsung by following online videos. Chip and Artic Silver adhesive ran $172 total. Took about an hour including cleaning the lens, mirror and heat sinks. Had to keep rewinding the video to double check the directions. Also, too many nearly cold welded screws also slowed me down (not to mention the extra screw that was left at the end!) I estimate it would take 20 minutes if I had another set to do. Picture is like new!

The build date on the chassis was June 2007 so the 5 year "planned obsolescence" would be irrelevant if the DLP was more durable. The rest of the set seems fine.

For reference, I am an orthopedic surgeon--handy with screwdriver but an electronic repair novice. While I am disappointed in Samsung's poor customer response to this problem and won't give them my future business, this is a very doable do it yourself repair.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.