Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HL-R5087W TV screen goes blank -tv/sound on

by gd09 / February 28, 2009 5:46 PM PST

Had tv 3yrs. About a month ago, the at various times the tv screen would go blank even though the tv was still on and the lamp was still on. I cut off the tv and the picture would come back. It may stay for hrs or mins before the screen goes blank. I replaced the lamp. Problem continues. I called Samsung they recommended a tv repair tech near my home. He came out, checked the cable, video hook ups check the lamp and said he tightened the connections, etc. Problem continues. They sent someone else out and since the screen stayed on he advised me to call him when it happens and confirm the lamp stays on as well as the sound. He know thinks it could be a lamp engine. he other tech mentioned lamp cover. Once problem starts it becomes more frequent the longer tv is on.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HL-R5087W TV screen goes blank -tv/sound on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HL-R5087W TV screen goes blank -tv/sound on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Issue
by Robert Epstein / April 5, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

I had the same problem within 30 days of purchase. Returned the set for a new one. Now four months later the secont set has the same problem!

Collapse -
Samsung HL-R5087W TV screen goes blank -tv/sound on
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2009 5:33 PM PDT

gd09,

Does this happen on all inputs? Or just where there's a cable/sat box?

Try turning off the cable/sat box when the happens. If the picture comes back, it's likely the HDCP in the cable box that triggering the picture to stop sending, while the audio continues to come through.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung SP50L7HX DLP TV linked to Sky HD box - same problem
by CalMEDon / April 8, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

We have a 3-year old Samsung SP50L7HX rear projection TV linked by HDMI cable to a Sky HD box (via a QED switch box). Between 1 and 2 months ago, we started experiencing the exact same problem. At some (random) point, usually at least 2 or 3 hours into viewing programmes on the TV, the picture disappears and we are left with a black screen (sound, from the amp, is still on). Either switching the digibox off and then on or switching the TV off and then on restores the picture. If this is happening because of a problem with the HDCP handshake and the problem has clearly only appeared quite recently, which piece of equipment is at fault? How do we set about having this annoying problem resolved? We have a Sky repair plan on the Sky HD box and an extended warranty on the TV. Where does the fault lie? Any advice welcomed please. Thanks.

Collapse -
Samsung SP50L7HX DLP TV linked to Sky HD box - same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 8, 2009 12:39 PM PDT

CalMEDon,

It could be either one, but in *most* cases, the HDCP technology that would stop the picture resides in the cable box, which requires the detection of a panel, and it may not be connecting for some reason.

I'd start there. I certainly can't rule out the televison, but changing out the box usually fixes the issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same problem occurs when viewing a DVD on TV - why?
by CalMEDon / April 10, 2009 8:41 AM PDT

Hi

Thanks for the advice. The same random loss of picture happens when watching a DVD using our Samsung DVD-HD850 player (linked to the TV by HDMI cable via the switch box). I read another recent thread on this forum describing the same random loss of picture when a Wii is linked to the TV. How can the Satellite box (in my case a Sky HD box) be the source of the problem when it is happening when either a DVD player or a Wii is delivering the picture to the TV (and not the Satellite box). Is it not a software error or hardware fault on the TV itself that is leading to the TV randomly failing to read the HDCP signal? If the source of the error was the satellite box then you would expect that the problem would not occur when the picture being viewed on the TV is not sourced from the satellite box. Or is it just that I am not understanding full yhow this HDCP technology works? For your advice please. Thanks.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 4:29 PM PDT

CalMEDon,

It may be that the switchbox is causing the issue. Does it happen with the absence of the switchbox? The HDCP in the box may be reading the switchbox as a non-approved device.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 13, 2009 4:44 PM PDT

CalMEDon,

Sorry about that, I jumped the gun a little. I meant DVD player.

It could very well be the television. But try hooking up the DVD player directly to the television without the switchbox to see if that doesn't correct the issue.

What I'm trying to do is help weed out some of the possible causes before we definitively decide it's the televsion.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Problem occurs even with direct connection - help please!
by CalMEDon / April 22, 2009 6:01 AM PDT

Hi

We have been keeping a record of when the picture has disappeared since 14 April. It happened on 19 April at 23:10 (after 4 hours of viewing) when accessing the Sky Planner; twice again on 20 April at 20:10 & 22:00 (after 4 hours viewing) while watching C4 and then when accessing the Sky planner; tonight on 6 occasions starting at 19:00 (after 3 hours viewing) - each time when accessing the Sky Planner. Connecting the TV direct to the Sky HD box rather than via the switch box made no difference. We have left the TV switched off for 20 minutes to 'cool off' and we are now watching a picture again. There is another 'fault' that has developed over the last 4 to 6 months and that is loud hum from the TV (particularly loud for the first hour or so of viewing). The hum disappears within 2 to 3 seconds of turning the TV off. Could that be the colour changer in need of replacement? Could the 2 faults (picture disappearing and faulty colour changer)be related? For your advice please.
CalMEDon

Collapse -
Same problem with me
by TClilmouse / April 26, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

I have the same problem for years already.... it just getting worst and worst.When the temperature is high, it can only stay on before screen blank out for around 20mins. I am very sure it is not the problem with input sources

Please help us..

Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung HL-R5087W-50 Scrren goes black at random with sound.
by wiretapper / May 11, 2009 8:14 AM PDT

I powered it off and then back on it comes back to normal. however, once it went off again (Black Screen) after only 2-3 minutes.

It is a defect in the product. I had the bulb and power supply replaced under warranty in October 2008. Now it's out of warranty and I only missed calling in by 6 days. BUMMER!

I will buy only Sony in the future. I never have problems with Sony devices.

BinaryForce
www.shadowping.com

Collapse -
screen goes black randomly
by Erickson00 / November 10, 2010 12:32 AM PST

My plasma does the same thing. i need to know how to initiate a warranty repair/replacement. This problem happens when watching cable TV, a Blu-ray movie, or playing my Wii. I have tried swapping out HDMI cables with no success. The TV screen will go black for 4-6 seconds while sound remains on. This sometimes happens only once every couple hours, but on some evenings, it happens several times per hour.

Samsung PN58C8000 plasma TV
Comcast DCX3400
Samsung BD-C6900
Wii

Collapse -
Tv Screen black but sound works
by Marmite666 / January 4, 2012 6:58 AM PST

Hi im experiencing the same problem, my TV was working fine all of a sudden the screen went black, i tried switching everything off, i looked online and they said that if i leave it unplugged for 24 hours it should work but it didn't, we do have a new virgin box and tried taking out all the wires still no picture I've had the TV 2 months and lost the receipt so no proof of purchase. what can i do x

Collapse -
Tv Screen black but sound works
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 5, 2012 9:11 AM PST

Marmite666,

Collapse -
Samsung TV screen goes black audio still plays
by iPhone4Gzy / November 8, 2012 1:55 PM PST

Re: Samsung LCD TV Model:LN37A550P3F

My Samsung LCD TV randomly loses picture, screen is black, but audio is still audible.. I have tried turning the cable box (connected via HDMI) off/on when this happens but it doesn't help any.. My question for you, Samsung_HD_Tech, regarding this troubleshoot, is that if it is the cable box and not the TV, pressing SOURCE or MENU or any other buttons on the TV remote should display something on the TV, however nothing gets displayed on the TV which leads me to believe the issue is with the TV.. So far, the only way for me to get my picture back is by turning the TV off/on.. :-/

Collapse -
Samsung TV screen goes blank -tv/sound on
by ruthiep2 / December 5, 2009 11:18 AM PST

Our Samsung TV screen went blank -tv/but the sound was still on and we tried unplugging the power cord on the TV - no change. Then we unplugged it from the wall and it came back on immediately --it was like a miracle! Hope this helps someone!

Collapse -
Black screen-still have sound and power...replaced dlp lamp
by compactcutie / December 25, 2009 11:43 AM PST

Just like previous thread, my Samsung has the black screen, yet I have sound. I did online chat with tech, they suggested the dlp bulb replacement...I ordered one, replaced it, still doing the same thing. Is there any suggestion beyond replacing the lamp???? Thanks

Collapse -
Screen goes blank
by VTG96 / September 8, 2011 9:07 AM PDT

your story is almost exactly like mine after 3 years of purchase my samsung tv faces the same problem and is very frequent dish told me it was samsung and samsung said they would need to send out a technician is there any solution to this??

i agree though i am throwing samsung on my do not buy and reccomend list all there items ive owned are garbage ill stick to sony or toshiba never faced a problem with those brands.

just very aggravating!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.