Camcorders forum

Question

Samsung Hi8 analog video signal running thru Avermedia USB

by JonathanAlstad / September 9, 2013 3:35 PM PDT

Hey all,
I've been doing plenty of research and experimenting but have been unsuccessful thus far in what I hope will prove to be a worthwhile endeavor. I've got about 10 Hi8 tapes that I want to convert for my girlfriend as a surprise (on a day that's coming up soon! ahh!) but of course the analog to digital process can be a beast for those of us who have never done it before. Here's the tech I've got:

-Samsung SLC810 Camcorder (has an A/V out and an S-Video out)
-Windows 7 64 bit PC complete with plenty of USB ports
-Roxio Easy Media Creator 10
-Avermedia AverTV Hybrid Volar Max USB card (with Composite and S-Video cable adapter)
-3.5mm A/V to R/W/Y composite cable (RCA jacks)

So, essentially, I've got the RCA cable hooked up to the camcorder as well as the composite adapter of the USB card, which is plugged in and lights up/get recognized by the system when a software that's accessing it is running. I have my hi8 video in the camcorder and the camcorder set to Play. I have the LCD on the camcorder closed as the manual says is better to prevent stuttering video playback or something... BUT in both Roxio and Stoik Capturer I have been unable to get the video signal to come up at all. It recognizes the Avermedia USB card, I've installed the latest drivers for that, but no video signal is coming through.

Could it be:
A) the composite cable is bad (even though it works for other devices, i.e. plugging an iPod into a stereo)
B) I'm just not using the right settings on the software I've tried? I use the Capture Video part of Roxio and tried just about all the settings that I thought would make a difference.
C) I need to change a setting on the camcorder to make the video play back through the A/V out instead of on the camcorder itself?
D) Something else entirely?

If anyone has had success doing this or has any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong in this process, please let me know. Thanks!

Jonathan

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Hi8 analog video signal running thru Avermedia USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Hi8 analog video signal running thru Avermedia USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If it fails
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2013 4:02 PM PDT

And if there is no support try it the way I do this. I use a DVD RECORDER (too many out there) and let it finalize the DVD. Now I can look at it in Windows for the MPEG files in a folder there.

I've found many discussions about that USB device. Pretty disturbing.
Bob

Collapse -
DVD recorder
by Terfyn / September 9, 2013 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: If it fails

I agree with R. Proffitt. A DVD recorder is the best solution. Go S-Video IN if you can. You can check the quality of the video as you record. You will be left with a finished DVD.
You will only need your PC if, for some reason, you want to either edit the videos or you want to record on to another medium, a Memorystick for example.

Collapse -
Sounds like a plan...
by JonathanAlstad / September 10, 2013 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD recorder

I'll definitely check out the cost of a DVD recorder as I really have no intentions of editing any video--just want to get it onto a digital format (something that has less chance of degrading over time and that can actually be played conveniently!)

If I were to hook it up via the S-Video, how does it record the sound? Would I not still need to also hook up some audio cables? Would a camera output to both the A/V and the S-Video at the same time and line up the video and audio?

I'll get to work on finding a DVD recorder and an S-Video cable...

Collapse -
Input to a DVD recorder
by Terfyn / September 10, 2013 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like a plan...

The sound is treated exactly the same way for composite (Yellow plug) or S-Video (multipin). Connect the white and red plugs to the audio input and the S-Video plug to the SV socket instead of the yellow plug to the composite socket. The S-Video gives a R-G-B input instead of the "mixed" input of the composite and should give better definition.

Many DVD recorders have a Hard Disk Drive which puts the price up but, if you do not have a decoder box (Sky for example) with a record facility, you can record TV programs directly if you want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

Finding the best 360 camera

GoPro, Pixpro, or Ricoh?

You can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a 360-degree camera. We tested three of them to find out what kind of quality and ease of use you can expect at each price point.