Tablets forum

Samsung Galaxy Tab GT P1010, Media scan issue

by REALPUNK105 / February 16, 2013 6:29 AM PST

My partner has a Samsung Galaxy Tab GT P1010. She switched it on earlier and it went into the normal media scan which scans both the internal memory and the SD card for media files. For some reason, the media scan is not scanning the SD card, and remains at 0%. She left it to run for several hours to see if this would fix the problem and it hasn't helped.

We have done the following:

1) We have reset the tablet several times with a hour between the power on and the power off.
2) We have removed the SD card and started the device - which allowed the tablet to scan the internal memory and start up as normal.
3) I did some research and found a post on another website which suggested installing Avast antivirus which has been run with and without the SD card installed and it only found 1 Trojan which has been removed, and unfortunately this has not resolved the issue.

My partner has told me that she has installed a new game today, but we are not sure that this would be the issue. So can anyone provide me with any advice on what to try? next as my partner likes the new game that she has installed and doesn't really want to loose it if she doesn't have to.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy Tab GT P1010, Media scan issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy Tab GT P1010, Media scan issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The clue is that antivirus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 6:35 AM PST

As there is no known Android virus, why uninstall that today? (do they have Avast for android?)

Also, I'd seen that when a video file is corrupt. Be sure to remove all the files from the card and start with a fresh format. Then add half the files. If it works the file it locked up on is on the other half.

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 6:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes Avast is available on Android
by REALPUNK105 / February 16, 2013 6:59 AM PST

Yes Avast does have a Android version. I asume this is because Android is very popular for cyber crinimals.

Collapse -
And they rely on you to install those bad apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 7:27 AM PST

I'd like to read what virus is out there. And I'm honest about my question. Remember I asked about a virus. Not a trojan or malware.

To work this issue I still have to clean off the machine and start putting files 1/2 at a time back on the card to see what it didn't like.

Collapse -
I'd like to know,
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 7:55 AM PST

what game was installed on the day the problem started. Bob, Iunderstand your post on the difference between a virus and trojan/malware but in the example I posted, does not this thing replicate itself?

It seems they had this problem before installing that av so your advice is sound.
Idon't want to hijack this thread so I won't input anymore on av for Android.
Iwill start a new thread soon to discuss av/Android soon.
I have to be honest, I am on the fence about av and Android.

Thanks for discussing,

Collapse -
Let's try to clean up that card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: I'd like to know,

Let's focus on that card for a bit. My method is to empty the card to a local folder then format the card and see if the Android is OK with that card.

OK. Now toss 1/2 the files back on it and re-test.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.