Phones forum

Question

Samsung Galaxy s3 or iPhone 5

by amanda_flo / November 12, 2012 12:13 AM PST

Im about to buy a new phone and Im having doubts about the quality of these two examples. Is s3 better than iPhone 5? Im tired of investing in cheaper products that have lower durability.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy s3 or iPhone 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy s3 or iPhone 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm the wrong person to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 12:25 AM PST

I went to a cellular trade show (actually many!) and the carriers announced WITH GLEE! that the average user is now changing handsets (that's what the phone is called) under 2 years now.

This means GOOD NEWS for them in many ways. It means that the phones do not have to be built to last 7 or 10 years so if you are thinking durability the news is grim.

Unless we get into the militarized units, I would never use the word "durability".
Bob

Collapse -
new phone
by amanda_flo / November 12, 2012 8:38 AM PST

thanks. for me it s crazy to change every two years. i just cant afford it and also dont need it. But, yes, now I want to buy a new phone and be sure that Im making the right choice. My friends tell me to buy the S3 and some comparisons also emphasize it http://versusio.com/en/samsung-galaxy-s3-vs-apple-iphone-5 the truth is that Im tired of PC s and Windows, and I will perhaps bet on Apple products setting aside all the problems with google and adobe

Collapse -
Nod. It's not that expensive anymore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: new phone

While I just exceeded 2 years on a HTC Evo 4G but it never was dropped, just used by an old lady in Pasadena. Just kidding. I did fit it with a better case and battery so it didn't suffer the usual battery runs out by noon issue.

We did pick up a new Android slider from VM+Amazon for 60 bucks so for a no-contract phone what is this cost issue you write about?
Bob

Collapse -
hum..
by amanda_flo / November 14, 2012 5:01 AM PST

Actually, I wasnt thinking on the contract. I would like to have an unblocked one but thats a long story. Anyway, I think Ive made my mind and Im going to purchase the 4S since I was able to find a good deal and I also dont need the latest one!

Thank you all for your help and time!

Collapse -
unlocked
by amanda_flo / November 14, 2012 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: hum..

i meant

Collapse -
Answer
There is no *significant* difference in durability
by Pepe7 / November 12, 2012 1:51 AM PST

Both can only take reasonable hits/drops before some type of breakage will normally ocurr. Flip a coin, and pick the smartphone that meets your needs in other ways besides durability, for the reasons Bob provided.

Collapse -
new phone
by amanda_flo / November 12, 2012 8:44 AM PST

thanks. i get confused with all these latest gadgets. other friend says that i should buy the ipad mini. should i?

Collapse -
But the iPad mini isn't a phone
by Pepe7 / November 12, 2012 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: new phone

Are you looking at buying a phone, or a tablet computer? FWIW, if you are trying to figure out a separate purchase from buying a new phone, I honestly have no way of knowing which tablet computer might suit your needs, as it's mostly a personal, case by case situation ;).

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Galaxy s3 or iPhone 5
by Carlton102 / May 4, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

The s3 because its so damn good, it is called the worlds smartest phone, the 2012 Olympics phone and another name. and s voice is better thans siri, and you can have a potential of having 96 gb in your phone and it also has so many functions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.