Android forum

Samsung Galaxy s2, s3, s4 data problems

by garrym806 / June 25, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

Our company is having problems with email reception via different providers abroad. We are based in Belgium and have problems with different Galaxy s2, s3 and s4 phones. We use vodafone as provider.
I was thinking may be there is a log file somewhere in the samsung galaxy phones where the active sync data connection can be viewed ?

All tips are welcome...

Many thanks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy s2, s3, s4 data problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy s2, s3, s4 data problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
So this is data or IP over cellular?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

Let's be frank here that this is not a sure thing. Carriers drop or restrict the port range so to be sure they can get email all over, be sure to have a web portal available as I doubt you will be calling and working with the carrier to fix this. In other works, no one from vodafone is here and you have to work with the carrier if it's as you say.

Collapse -
by garrym806 / June 25, 2013 5:01 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm talking about receiving email through cellular, not through wifi. Can you pls elaborate on what you mean with port range restrictions and having a web portal.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2013 8:27 PM PDT

Last year I worked on a project that used data over cellular and such was not a sure thing. In your case you may be crossing between carriers and if said carriers don't have it all setup just so, it can fail.

Let me put it another way, why do you think it's your problem to solve? That is, you don't run the cellular network and if you dive into this you find that data connections over cellular are hit and miss. This is why we had to re-write our apps to buffer, re-try among other things.

Your question about port ranges makes me think you need to have a deeper chat with your support. I can't fit a course in networking here but it's one of the problems with cellular networks.

Another issue we ran into is the great firewall of China. That one is nothing short of amazing.

Collapse -
by garrym806 / June 26, 2013 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

Hi Bob,

Once again, thanks for your reply.
I'm asking this question from a user perspective. We have a number of CEO/CIO/CFO's that want to receive mails anywhere. Of course China and other totalitarian regimes like Myanmar will be a no go ...

But we are talking about problems in London (UK), Argentina.
On the other hand we have also Iphone 4 users, configured the same way, and these function at exactly the same location.

Our active sync is nothing special, ... , normal https trafic.

Best regards,

Collapse -
But https is not normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

It's encrypted traffic and can indeed fail. I fear I've failed you here. You need to talk directly to the carriers and hear from them if this should or should not work. I'm just a designer, programmer and lead on some designs where we used data over cellular and came away a little wiser and a little more gray.

Let me be a little more blunt. You would provide more than one way to get email. For example, Outlook via the usual pop3/smtp as well as some https web page.

Collapse -
by garrym806 / June 27, 2013 4:26 PM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your suggestions !

Do you know if there are log files on the galaxy where we could find out more info about what is going wrong when a galaxy abroad does not show mail coming in ?

Many thanks !

With kind regards,

Collapse -
Sorry no, but there was a way we troubleshoot
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

So I'll share. We would tether the android to our PC and from there we could use the use tools of NSLOOKUP, TRACEROUTE and well, you as the IT lead would know the rest.

Armed with that we would show this to our cellular contact (we were working on a system that involved many thousand mobile clients) and they would look into the issue.

But in your case I think you need to know that such is best solved by more than one email access path.

I can hope you tried at the very least different IP Ports on your server.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.