Android

Resolved Question

Samsung Galaxy S Losing connectivity

by Crankypaul / October 11, 2011 7:20 PM PDT

I have a Samsung Galaxy S on AT&T for over a year. In the beginning I had no problems to speak of but lately, in the last month or so, I have been having problems with connectivity. I completely lose my 3G connection resulting in my not receiving texts as well as not being able to get any internet connections. The only fix (workaround) I have found has been to completely shut down and reboot. And no, the phone isn't on Airplane mode either. I've attempted removing the battery on many occasions but nothing makes any difference. It happens more frequently lately. In fact the other day I needed to reboot when I woke in the morning and then later in the day, with the phone sitting on a desk completely unused, I found that I had to do it again. I did update to 2.2 a few months ago (AT&T was probably the LAST one that made it available), but I don't recall this problem existing immediately afterward. Looking at posts by others on other forums it appears to me that this is not unheard of, but there doesn't seem to be any fix available, or at least posted by anyone. I am reaching the point of total frustration. The phone itself is great, when it works properly. I am at my wits end since I can't rely on getting any messages and am constantly checking to see if my connection is alive or dead. I've received messages 6 hours after they were sent because I found that the phone was essentially dead due to this problem.

Crankypaul has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy S Losing connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy S Losing connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by Crankypaul

Collapse -
Same here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

We're seeing that on Sprint and let's not write about the Blackberry mess.

I wonder if folk are unaware that these things are unreliable?
Bob

Collapse -
re: Samsung Galaxy S Losing connectivity
by Crankypaul / October 13, 2011 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here.

Nice to know that it's not an exclusive thing and even more encouraging to know that there doen't appear to be any know fix.

Collapse -
Can I change the question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 5:43 AM PDT

"Is this something that is known at this particular location or across other locations?"

Besides the Blackberry mess, I find it's more a matter of location. My phone works better on the front porch than the patio out back. My neighbor has been doing the same when we don't want a drop during the call.

It appears to not be a device/carrier issue but a location issue.
Bob
<div class="inter-pagination collapsable"> </div>

Collapse -
Re: 3G connectivity
by Crankypaul / October 13, 2011 7:48 PM PDT

My phone HAS worked relatively flawlessly in the past year. The problem now is losing connectivity. It's random, and it never used to happen. I'm talking places that always worked before. According to the AT&T coverage map I'm solidly in a strong signal. And losing the signal means I can't get it back until I reboot. Nothing else works. If I leave the phone alone it will always show the 3G icon, but the arrows are inert and if I attempt to connect, I get a "didn't connect" notice. I never see the circle with the hash mark indicating no signal, I just have grey arrows, no green or red. I've been in REAL no signal locations many times and know the difference on the screen. This shows sleeping arrows, but they never "wake up" without a reboot.

Collapse -
Remember that there are dead spots and they move.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 3G connectivity

If the phone does this in all locations, it's the phone. If not, it's the location.

I know folk have a tough time with the moving dead spots but as the cell carriers tweak things, you will see this.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: 3G connectivity
by Crankypaul / October 14, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

This NOT dead spots. A dead spot would mean that when I move into a live spot, connectivity would return. The ONLY way I can regain connectivity is a complete reboot, nothing else. If I don't reboot, I get no signal no matter where I go.

Collapse -
Then it's a bug.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 3G connectivity

If you head to the store they often reset the phone to factory conditions. Android phones tend to be troublesome as Windows as the owners install this and that.
Bob

Collapse -
3G connectivity.
by Crankypaul / October 14, 2011 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Then it's a bug.

THAT was a bit of helpful advice. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Collapse -
My apologies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2011 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: 3G connectivity.

I don't like doing that to the phones. I try to avoid it as much as possible so we discuss it unless there is no other option.

Good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
did it work?
by Geostrophic / December 14, 2011 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: 3G connectivity.

I'm running into this noe with a new Galaxy. Did your reset work? Thanks!

Collapse -
Removing Apps
by Crankypaul / December 14, 2011 8:10 PM PST
In reply to: did it work?

I did drop a number of apps that I really didn't use but I can't say that it helped. It may have minimized the problem but I still keep running into it. I can have an operating phone when I put it on my dresser and when i pick it up I need to reboot it. I'm not convinced that it is the phone any more than I'm convinced that it's AT&T. I like the functionality of the phone, but if it's going to be troublesome I may jump ship to an iPhone. i'm jumping carriers anyway for other reasons and that can be a perfect time to replace the hardware too.

Collapse -
Answer
by robertmbrady / February 4, 2012 4:05 AM PST

Got my Galaxy S Stratosphere a couple of months ago and same issue. Only when I drive thru certain parts of our valley I lose a signal and can never re-acquire it unless I reboot the phone.

Collapse -
Sounds familiar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2012 11:45 AM PST

I know of no cure but to return defective products and change brands and carriers if need be.

Collapse -
Answer
im with bell canada
by inlimbo05 / February 16, 2013 9:53 AM PST

My wife and I are also getting this problem now
after recieving an (upgrade)text to get a new phone .
Our phones started rebooting by them selves we are now loosing service.
tried the reboot but still same problems .
i feel the companies are just screwing around with the phones to make money off us.....

Collapse -
Answer
by jamefuller / February 17, 2013 3:12 PM PST

Firstly, you need to change your carrier's networks, if you haven't same issue, so you need to contact to Samsung should help you.

Collapse -
Answer
Final solution?
by mwpharma / June 26, 2013 12:47 PM PDT

Did you ever get a final answer to your problem? My kids both have the Samsung galaxy s and they have the same problem you had.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.