Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

Question

samsung galaxy player 5 os upgradeable?

by richard-liu / May 11, 2012 5:22 PM PDT

Hi, currently samsung galaxy player 5 running on OS android 2.3.5 ginerbread, my question is : will this device's OS can be upgraded to android 4.0 (the newest android OS) in the future ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung galaxy player 5 os upgradeable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung galaxy player 5 os upgradeable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No. And never. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 8:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
is samsung galaxy player 5 a good portable device?
by richard-liu / May 12, 2012 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: No. And never. Why?

Hi, Bob, thank you for your answer, since the galaxy player 5 OS is not upgradeable, do you think this player will be a good investment for a long-term portable personal device for web browsing and android apps application ? and also, in general, is this galaxy player 5 super ? please let me know, thanks.

Collapse -
That's for you to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

Here we have such tablets but that's only because we are working on Android apps. So we have such things for testing.

Are you thinking you want something two versions behind?
Bob

Collapse -
personal portable device.
by richard-liu / May 12, 2012 11:33 AM PDT

Hi, Bob, thanks a gain, like to know what you meant "two versions behind?" , thinking choosing either ipod touch 4 or samsung galaxy player 5 for personal all day long carrying device like smart phone, but, I prefer the samsung galaxy player 5, please give me some advice, was thinking the new galaxy tab2 7" , but it is too big to carry as a smart phone, thanks.

Collapse -
You write your concern. I only numbered it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

This is Android 2.x, there has been 3.x and now 4.x. That's 2 versions behind. I'm unsure why you asked for the upgrade question but as our office writes apps, I know a little.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks.
by richard-liu / May 12, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

Hi,Bob, I am totaly new to android system, I have been a apple user, and try to get into android experience, that's why, thank you for your advice.

Collapse -
samsung galaxy player 5 OS upgrade.
by richard-liu / May 12, 2012 6:39 PM PDT

Hi, Bob, can you tell me the samsung galaxy player 5, what version of OS can be upgradeable to, in the future, now is running @ 2.3.5 ginerbread, the reason I asked is : trying to buy one, but, worry about the OS, I do not want the player to be outdated, please let me know, thanks.

Collapse -
I think it's the same no and same reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

Looking at the 3.0 version it requires 512MB RAM and this device only has 384MB.

I've read chatter about the CPU requirement but that's not true. Same was dashed about the cameras and screen size but the RAM appears to be holding true.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks.
by richard-liu / May 13, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

Hi, Bob, once again, greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Your are incorrect
by davidsos / May 19, 2012 2:28 AM PDT

This device has 512 MB of physical RAM and can run the software. Do not mistake the RAM that is available after the Android System claims part of the 512 MB of physical RAM. If you are technically adept, visit xda-developers.com and go to the forum for this device and you can find all sorts of ROMs.

Collapse -
I can't offer advice on other ROMs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Your are incorrect

You are right and so am I so let's move to what you offered.

You are writing about ROMs that have no support from the maker. Be sure to tell folk what they are getting into. Some folk are simple owners that will not understand the ramifications of installing those alternatives.
Bob

Collapse -
WRONG SGP 5.0 comes w/ Gingerbread, From Samsung website:
by Twakeford / November 21, 2012 5:11 AM PST

From Samsung website:
"Operating System

Android™ (Version 2.3.5 Gingerbread)"

So yes, 500kb RAM

This reply is wrong, should be deleted.

Collapse -
I'd do that but my answer is outdated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 5:20 AM PST

I can only hope folk update this for us.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by davidsos / May 19, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

Firstly, for the most part the version of Android (Gingerbread) works well for this device. If you want a great music player get PowerAmp from the Google Market (PlayStore - new name). It had a 10 band Graphic equalizer, Bass and Treble controls, Limiter and more. The combinations of which can be stored as named settings that can be individually applied to different headphones/earbuds/speakers by wire or Bluetooth. The sound quality of this app will leave you dazzled and thrilled.

By the way, this device does have 512 MB of physical RAM, contrary to what someone on this thread has stated to be 384 MB.

Next, about versions of Android. Honeycomb or 3.x never made it to open source and was implemented of a tiny selection of devices of which were only tablets, so lets not even consider it. Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) or 4.x is pretty new and is just beginning to penetrate the market, It is absolutely stunning, performs superbly and spells trouble for Apple's iOS. I asked Samsung and was told that they are planning an upgrade to ICS for the GP 5.0 as well as the Gingerbread 2.3.6 found on the GP 3.6.

If you have technical chops, you can visit the below website and will find all sorts of custom ROMs and instructions on rooting your device, something not for the technically challenged. You should make sure that you fully understand all of the details before fiddling with your device. If you take the plunge, make sure that the ROM you want supports the hardware acceleration for the GP 5.0.
For example I have a Motorola Xoom, which I've rooted and have overclocked the CPU to 1.6 GHz and the GPU to I believe by +25%, rock stable and running ICS months before Motorola/Google made it available for the Xoom.

The Galaxy Player Forum
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1423

Collapse -
Please tell them about Samsung's support for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I read what you have done but will the average consumer understand they are on their own here?

I'm always happy to be wrong about some RAM item (Samsung's document still reads 384) but while your correction is nice to read, it omitted the full story and didn't give any hope of the maker supporting you after you did this.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob and misinformation
by mdt73 / August 8, 2012 3:14 PM PDT

Bob, I am not exactly sure why your attitude is so poor regarding the initial question about upgrades available for the Galaxy Player. From ram amounts to ROMs to pretty much every topic within this thread, you have taken the "no way no how" approach. Might your little quips be better suited in an iOS discussion?

I, too, wrote to Samsung, and was told that there is an upgrade to ICS in the works. If it were up to you, I might as well brick my device now, as you stated, without hesitation, "No. And never. Why?".

You don't work for Samsung. Do not reply with absolutes that you know nothing about. Hell, I doubt you even frequent XDA, judging from your inference that Samsung will not support you if you use a ROM.

Attitudes like yours should never be associated with moderators. The "did you search google first" mentality is horrible and cnet would be smart to rid itself of you.

Collapse -
That's good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob and misinformation

I can be wrong and it's up to folk to call it out and I'll apologize.

But there is that nagging issue about tablet makers that use Android and leave the OS with bugs intact (that SMS message bug when memory gets low?)

Sorry to have upset you and keep at it because I'm not always right.
Bob

Collapse -
useful information.
by richard-liu / May 19, 2012 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Hi, davidsos, thank you for providing a great information and discussion about the galaxy player 5.0. at here, I have a question to ask, I saw a review saying that with android OS ginerbread 2.3.5 on this player, we can actually save android app(s) onto the microSD card, while OS honeycomb and beyond can not do so, is this correct ? one of the reason I asked about "is the galaxy player 5.0 upgradeable?", because it is still new on the market, and it is very portable, and very useful as a mini tablet, I certainly would like it can be upgraded in the future to keep up its value without being obsoleted, please let me know, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.