Samsung forum

Question

Samsung galaxy note 2 us cellular , unlockable for att?

by Po1s10n / December 27, 2012 10:58 AM PST

Is it possible to unlock a US cellular samsung galaxy note 2 and use it on AT&T? I know us cellular is CDMA, but there is a sim tray on the phone.

This is what I have been able to gather:

"To Unlock Galaxy S3/Galaxy Note 2/Galaxy Note 2 LTE

Open Phone app and dial - *#197328640#
From Main menu, navigate to [1] UMTS >> [1] Debug Screen >> [8] Phone Control >> [6] Network Lock >> Options
From Options, select [3] Perso SHA256 OFF and wait for about 30 seconds after choosing the option
Now go back one step by pressing Menu button and then select Back (this should be in [6] Network Lock)
Choose NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZE and wait for a minute
Reboot device
To verify, insert a SIM card from different carrier/provider. If the new SIM card works then the phone has been unlocked"

Also I currently am using a iphone 5 with a different sized SIM card but I can buy an adapter . If it is possible will I still have LTE? I want to trade someone for the note 2, but he only has US cellular.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung galaxy note 2 us cellular , unlockable for att?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung galaxy note 2 us cellular , unlockable for att?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be careful.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 12:14 PM PST

I'm running into folk that insist the microSD card slot is a SIM card slot but it's not. US Cellular is apparently CDMA so phones they offer have no reason to have GSM capabilities.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Po1s10n / December 27, 2012 5:41 PM PST
In reply to: Be careful.

Thanks that really helps Happy

Collapse -
You are incorrect
by Teej53172 / February 12, 2013 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: Be careful.

While US Cellular is CDMA.. most all the smartphones they sell (and have sold) are all GSM compatible as well... I work for ATT, and in the past I have picked up US Cellular phones and unlocked them for use with ATT.. The reason the Simcard slot it a different than the iphone 5 is because the ip5 used a new sim called a nano-sim where the Note II uses the microsim.... Yes, there are multiple types of sim cards.. there is even the regular standard size in addition to those 2... Hope this info helps

Collapse -
Good to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: You are incorrect

The US Cellular site was unclear on that which is why I didn't state it was only CDMA. Be sure to read what I wrote again.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
SIM
by Hillbillyy / December 28, 2012 12:49 AM PST

The N2 (in other regions) uses a micro SIM so if you have a "different sized SIM" an adapter is out of the question.

Collapse -
Nano
by Po1s10n / December 28, 2012 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: SIM
Collapse -
Answer
No known way to unlock at the moment.
by SwtSexiness1 / January 1, 2013 10:06 AM PST

I have the Galaxy Note 2 from US Cellular. There is a micro SD card slot, and a micro sim slot. I am not mistaken the micro slot for sim slot. Both slots have the use printed as micro SD, and Sim. People believe it can be unlocked, because without the sim in phone service simply does not work! As of yet there's no way to unlock it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.