Phones forum

Question

Samsung Galaxy Fame Missing Gapps

by faith_bodel / October 21, 2013 4:16 PM PDT

Hey guys, I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Fame and I was having trouble with signing into gmail and accessing the Play store. I tried a few things, including disabling and enabling the downloads. After all else failed I rebooted the phone to factory settings and re-installed the firmware, but afterwards, the Play, gmail and google accounts all had disappeared. I have tried to root the phone and download the Gapps that way, I've also put the Gapps file onto the external and internal SD card and tried to apply the update via the phone re-boot option, but still nothing. Any help would be muchly appreciated!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy Fame Missing Gapps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy Fame Missing Gapps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Once you rooted the phone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 21, 2013 5:59 PM PDT

All bets are off and you should ask the folk that advised that route.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
To add to what Bob said
by Pepe7 / October 22, 2013 12:30 AM PDT

Rooting is not for newbies, and often doesn't solve the problems you may encounter w/ the stock build.

That said, why don't you peruse XDA to see if someone there can assist?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Collapse -
Just some back info
by faith_bodel / October 22, 2013 3:14 PM PDT

Just so it is known, although I am a "newbie" the things performed on the phone were conducted by a trained IT professional friend of mine. But he can't seem to find any programs that can re install the GAPPS on the phone. It appears that it was possibly a NZ Rom that was installed by the manufacturer but we can't find it or any mirrors of it.

Collapse -
When I want to root or get a newer OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2013 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Just some back info

I'm at XDA. It's the place for such things. However if you want to get support, you head to stock and then make it a warranty issue. If it fails, then you get a refund and something else.

Maybe Android is the new Windows? That is, if Android breaks (I can supply examples where it's broke for years) then a maker usually defers to Google. My vote/advice in such cases is to let them keep their problems until it's ready for the market.
Bob

Collapse -
So it sounds mostly like...
by Pepe7 / October 23, 2013 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just some back info

...you were your friend's first lap around the track. He should have already compiled the proper tools in case you needed to flash it back to the proper stock ROM. Again, have him look around at XDA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.