Android forum

Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 won't update/storage

by pjn0524 / August 31, 2013 7:02 AM PDT

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 about a month ago. I also bought an external micro-SD card for the phone. However, I am running into a serious problem. Most of the applications won't update due to what "customer service" calls "phone specification limits". In other words, there's not enough storage space on the phone. And I can TELL the files to move to the SD card, but if they're under 1 GB, they won't actually move and they're still on my phone. I can't even open up pictures to look at them. This REALLY irritates me. Why bother buying an SD card if the phone doesn't USE it? My Android tablet would let me specify downloading TO THE CARD rather than the tablet's internal storage. Stinks to high heaven that I have this "smart phone" that is SO stupid.

Oh, and also, most of the time when updates are needed, I am getting an "invalid package file" error. What's with that? I saw a thread that said this was "fixed" on August 13. Uhm, no.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 won't update/storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 won't update/storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / August 31, 2013 9:27 AM PDT

Time to delete some applications/pictures/music from the phone to free up some memory in the phone. I won't defend Samsung for creating a "smartphone" that lacks adequate memory management.

Collapse -
About "My Android tablet would let me specify downloading
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

"My Android tablet would let me specify downloading TO THE CARD"

Since no Android version today downloads apps to the card, you may be (re) discovering what some deem a flaw in this mobile OS. While I don't consider it a flaw but a limitation I think Google has some work to do along with MSFT.

For example, if you look in the Add/Remove Programs (windows) or App management (android) you see that all installed apps listed there. On one machine that list was over 100 and took forever to flick and scroll to find Waldo.

We've come a long way and there is more to do.

Collapse -
hi, this might help you.
by Titicumpatatu / September 5, 2013 11:12 PM PDT

I want to tell you something that might help you with your problem. I had the same problem as you have and I heard a friend saying something about a mobile phone Insurance.. DIdn't knew at that moment that this thing can help me on my Galaxy Exhbit T599, and it's affordable insurance too... I called him and he told me that you can find anything on this site about memory problems or micro SD card problems. Google Gadget Insurance and you should find it.

Collapse -
This was a problem for me with the T599 also
by vonnieglen / December 29, 2013 12:11 AM PST

This is an old thread I know, but it was a top result in a search so I am adding to it anyway.

Fortunately, this phone is now extremely easy to root and then one can use an all such as Link2SD to fool the operating system into thinking a second partition on your microSD card is internal storage. There are many other solutions as well, but this is the quickest method that I found to overcome this annoyance.

This limitation which also exists on most other Jelly Bean devices was either incredibly short sighted or most likely concocted to steer consumers to spend their money more expensive products. Fortunately the Android Developer community is extremely savvy and able to overcome this type of stupidity within a day or two of it being foisted on an unsuspecting public.

Collapse -
Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599
by karebarerose / March 5, 2014 12:48 PM PST

when i read your post it was like i was hearing myself talk! i bought mine about 3 weeks ago with the micro card. i am out of room in the device storage so i contacted everyone i thought that could help me ( Metro PCS, Samsung, the manual, and my 18 year old son!). needless to say i still am having issues and don't know what to do. i did put the settings to go to the card...but it isn't working! good luck to you! God bless you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.