Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 factory reset

by glasseyefong / January 19, 2013 11:43 PM PST

Can someone tell me if it's possible to do a factory reset on my new phone without turning it on?

I loaded Kaspersky's Mobile Security program on it. As part of the installation it asked for a security code and rejected my first all numeric choice. I added some alphas and continued. When I went to check/amend the standard settings, it came up with an all numeric keypad and no way to enter alphas. Clicking in the data field brings up a Samsung keyboard but there's still no way to enter alphas.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 factory reset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 GT-I8160 factory reset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's an easy no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 1:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Update
by glasseyefong / January 20, 2013 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: That's an easy no.

Having looked at several internet searches I reset the phone from cold by holding down various power/volume/on keys. It also appears that pressing the power key for several seconds works. Unfortunately, it's made it worse as the unenterable password screen now comes straight up. I contacted Kaspersky last week and am still awaiting a reply. Your question re security echoes the guy in the phone shop I took it back to - he couldn't help either. I don't profess to be an internet expert and hadn't seen the article, but there are people out there who delight in causing misery for others. I loaded the security suite so that it didn't happen to me.

Collapse -
Android is not like Windows at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: Update

The only person I know that caught a trojan has rooted and was installing apps from torrents. Not one drive by infection has been seen around here. I'm only one of those folk that work in an office porting to Android with gads know how many androids around the office. If there was a virus, we'd like to see it.

The reset you noted turns on the power so I hope you can see why I had to write no.

The cellular service counters usually can flash a phone back to life.
Bob

Collapse -
Another Update
by glasseyefong / January 21, 2013 7:10 PM PST

I've resurrected my phone by entering the previous all numeric password. That's good.

The "reset to factory settings" process seems to have done nothing. All the apps/changes I made previously are still there. Why would this be? Should the SIM/SD card be in or out?

Collapse -
SD card can be formatted if need be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Another Update

The SIM card does not hold any code besides data. I don't think you need a dissertation on what code and data is.

"settings" are just that. It does not mean we are erasing user data or user installed apps.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help Bob
by glasseyefong / January 22, 2013 2:16 AM PST

I had wrongly assumed that the reset function would put the phone back to its state when I bought it. I've uninstalled Kaspersky but I'm not sure it's all gone. I've now got to work out why, having done the "normal" unlock phone process, I go straight to another key entry screen which requires the Kaspersky password before I can access the phone's functions. Not too clever when the phone's ringing.

Collapse -
Kapersky support should know how to remove.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 2:24 AM PST

Some Android phones/pads/devices have another menu somewhere to wipe user data and apps. This is not standardized and be careful since it could take a phone offline where the cellular carrier has to setup the phone again (I can't guess what they want.)

One of my favorite tools on Android is ES File Explorer. It allows me to look at all folders and in many cases delete something that does not have an uninstall.
Bob

Collapse -
An Android security question
by glasseyefong / January 26, 2013 12:30 AM PST

Bob, does your confidence in Android OS re malware also apply to tablets running on it?

Collapse -
Let's open the discussion up a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 2:10 AM PST

All these things that allow us to install apps means that there is a risk we could go get a bad app. Your everyday person on the street will call it a virus but in the circles I run (really need to stop going in circles?) we call them by the usual other names.

OK, malware is possible but for now we have to, in almost every case go find it and install it. Stock, and apps from the Google store are as safe as we can get today without moving to a more closed system such as Windows 8 RT or Apple's.

In my opinion, Android has the right balance here. The others are a bit draconian or a prison that others call a "walled garden."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.