Samsung forum

Samsung DLP white dots fix?

by g3t_t0rk / April 10, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

I know that this issue has been beaten to death. I know that the recall is over and I'm pretty much SOL. What I'm wondering is who do I go to for the fix? Is there a DIY fix? And I remember finding a thread saying that it cost $200 to fix but I can't seem to find that thread anymore. Anyone know what to do?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP white dots fix?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP white dots fix?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Samsung white dot issue
by 26463096079402463158312775530918 / June 17, 2015 12:10 PM PDT

Hi- Just joined c/net for Samsung DLP white dot issue. Is there still any Samsung warranty being given for the tv's? I have the 61"" model, and the pixels just started popping up. thanks for any info!

Collapse -
We are now many years past that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2015 12:23 PM PDT

You can try 1800SAMSUNG and ask again. Hit to see what this part costs.

It's not a Samsung white dot issue. The part was made by Ti and is used in many other makes so it it's not found in just Samsung models.

Collapse -
DIY possible?
by 26463096079402463158312775530918 / June 17, 2015 1:11 PM PDT

Is this something I could do myself. I saw some people elsware posting that they did it? Thanks

Collapse -
Shopjimmy has Youtube videos on the part change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2015 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: DIY possible?

As to you doing this, you have to decide if it's inside your comfort zone.

Collapse -
Re: We are now many years past that.
by Escape888 / October 4, 2015 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: DIY possible?

I got the same problem with my Samsung DLP TV HLT6756 WX/XAA. And I am wondering how people with the same problem(many white dots showing) take care of this problem? Any pointer is appreciated, especially if I can get a comment from 26463096079402463158312775530918 about how to deal with this problem.

Many Thanks.

Collapse -
White dots issues Samsung 5676
by Gatorboy77 / October 4, 2015 4:17 PM PDT

I have a Samsung 5676 with white dot issues and was told by Samsung I was pretty much Sol. Does anyone have advise seems to be an ongoing problem . all my devices are Samsung from TV to my phone.
Case #2139136275

Collapse -
So far thousands have replaced the DMD to solve it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2015 5:04 PM PDT

Unless this is not a question as to the part but something else.

All Answers

Collapse -
Samsung DLP white dots fix?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 11, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Got it fixed!
by g3t_t0rk / May 8, 2012 9:23 AM PDT

Well, I called Samsung and I got it fixed just like brians43 said. Called them, told them I had white dots, and they told me Samsung gives out 1 free courtesy fix.

Collapse -
Geeting no love....
by doubleott / June 18, 2012 6:43 AM PDT

I called today and was told that my model - HL6156wx/xaa was out of warranty and that I could get an "out-of-warranty" repair from a 3rd party repair shop. The repair is going to cost me almost $500.00 - that does not sound like I am being taken care of...

Collapse -
Why no fix for us?
by captbly1 / July 28, 2014 5:46 AM PDT

I am a HL61A750A1FXZA user as well that is experiencing the white dot issue as well. I have called and Have had no luck getting Samsung to replace it. I have escalated it, but after being on hold for 1/2 every time the call mysteriously drops. Maybe that is their new way of handling it.

Sure makes no sense why our models wont get the same treatment (free chip) as the others. Shoot send me the chip and I'll put it in. Maybe its time for our own class action suit?

Collapse -
Not too late
by brians43 / May 2, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

I called 1-800-Samsung Monday 4/30/2012, a technicial was at my house today 5/2/2012, fixing my TV. The dots are gone and it works great. Kudos to Samsung for taking care of business.

Collapse -
Sounds like a plant by Samsung, don't believe it's genuine.
by gomdsearch / May 2, 2012 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Not too late

This post does not have the ring of truth and poster just joined forum. This is poster's first post of any kind this site. I don't believe it's legitimate. Post sounds like a plant by Samsung, don't believe it's genuine.

Collapse -
Beleive it or not,it worked for me
by brians43 / May 3, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

Just trying to help out the original poster because he/she thought they missed a window. I joined only to reply because I reviewed these posting when trying to figure out how to get my tv fixed.

I'm happy they fixed mine. It was out of warranty and I was already looking at buying a new one. Now I don't need to. I just hope anyone who has the same problem calls before giving up.

Collapse -
Tried without success
by Tip2469 / July 28, 2014 1:15 AM PDT

Told my HLT5687SX/XAA was out of warranty. TV was timely registered with Samsung but was never informed that there was a class action against Samsung that involved my model TV. I always liked Samsung products, but now it's time to rethink purchases and perhaps go with a more reputable company - Sony, Toshiba, etc.

Collapse -
Wait a second.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2014 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried without success

Sony had issues with their DLP too. Those are out of warranty as well so how would that change your story?

Collapse -
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 3, 2012 3:12 AM PDT

gomdsearch, didn't you just join recently too--4/10/2012? This looks to be your first post, so what gives you the right to call out someone, when you should be looking at your own account. Have you earned your stripes?

I don't appreciate you coming into our forums and calling our members liars. How do we know you aren't from a competing manufacture? If you can't maintain a respectful attitude toward others in this community, I suggest that you go some where else where they'll accept your behavior, because we certainly won't.

CNET Community manager

Collapse -
I said post sounds like a plant, which it does...
by gomdsearch / May 3, 2012 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Really?!

but I didn't call anyone a liar. I was honest but not disrespectful.

I was prompted to join because I tried to get Samsung to step up multiple times and they did not.

Collapse -
I don't know, but...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 3, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

when you say things like "does not have the ring of truth" or "I don't believe it's legitimate" or "don't believe it's genuine" to me that's calling someone a liar.

Anyways I'm not going to drag this out to be who right or who's wrong... but have you tried posting your case in the forum for the Samsung reps to review? Do you have transaction number or reference number from your dealing with Samsung customer service failed attempt to helping you out?

Maybe you should create a new thread in this forum and give all the details about your problem and see if they can help you, rather than wasting your energy questioning or attacking other members. Have you done that? You really have nothing to lose, right? You never know, where the circumstances may change for the better.

Anyways I hope you get some sort of resolution to your problem, but please keep your attitude in check at the door. I'd appreciate it.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Well I'm not new
by PMDavidson / December 31, 2013 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know, but...

And I can say honestly, that Samsung will only do what they have to do after using a poorly designed part by TI. Just read through this and several other threads and you will find Samsung will fix those they have to and blow off all others. Plenty of detail throughout the thread, really doesn't matter when you bought the TV just if you are on the list they have to fix. BTW, just bought a VISIO, great TV, highly recommend.

Good luck and Happy New Year

Collapse -
1-800-samsung good number
by mbimeal / December 30, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Not too late

Thanks so much for starting this thread. My TV is six years old and is version HLT6176SX/XAA. I called the number today, 12/30/13. They said my white dots and dark screen "qualifies for free repair for this issue". They have made an appt. to come out on Monday to fix it. Thanks for saving me so much money!

Collapse -
1-800-samsung good number 2
by mbimeal / January 10, 2014 1:45 AM PST

I was pleasantly surprised that the service guys showed up on 3 business days later to fix the problem. They arrived on time, with a table and two guys to fix the problem. The white dots was under warranty. They charged me $168 for a new bulb that at six years was past the extended warranty. I was extremely happy. All went well. Two days later Samsung called up to do a survey on how well their technicians performed. I was impressed with the service. However, it would be nice for a tv to work past six years like the old crt tvs did.

Collapse -
White spots on DLP TV. This recommendation was very helpful
by abrahamv719 / January 13, 2014 11:37 AM PST

I know i am a first timer. but this worked for me. I contacted 1800-Samsung about my DLP TV with model number HL-T5076SX/XAA. After 5 minutes of speaking with them over the phone,Samsung has scheduled an appointment for a local service Tech to contact me. Samsung asked me for the model number Of my DLP TV and the serial number. The white spots are apparently being caused by a chip called the DMD chip. Samsung is replacing it one time for free as long as the DMD Chip is faulty. FYI I had replaced the Lamp last week as well by myself. It is very easy to change. I bought it online on ebay. Cost me $58. Came with the bulb and the housing. the part number is on the tv. Google it and you will be able to find an online vendor. will update the post once i have the chip replaced. Thank you CNET and Other people that have assisted me with these posts.

Collapse -
This is a RE-POST
by ML6280 / May 4, 2012 10:26 AM PDT

Just fixed my HLT6187sx/xaa

by ML6280 - 4/28/12 4:24 PM

In Reply to: Can you lst the steps taken? by jciarrocchi

It's pretty easy if you have a little know-how. I'm a Navy electronics tech so I know the "do's and don'ts" when it comes to working inside a TV. You don't want to get shocked so make sure you unplug and let it sit the night, and then stay away from the power supply. Take the advice on the link and wear the gloves, this helps if you inadvertently touch the chip or lense. My set was slightly different (fan in a different location in front of the DMD chip, but all in all, just follow the instructions on the link. Shop around for the chip online (I paid $178). Here is the link R. Proffitt posted on an earlier link. Good luck!

Collapse -
The Fix Is In!
by FLJoe / June 10, 2012 9:35 PM PDT

Good Morning, I read the posting below with the 1-800-Samsung phone number and called them yesterday, Sunday evening, and got an appt. for this coming Friday 6/15/12 to fix it! Evidently if your white dots are on all channels then it is a chip they will replace for FREE on a one time basis. If it is not the chip, there will be a service call charge but that is still way cheaper for me than replacing a 61" TV. I will update again when the repair is complete, especially if there is anything other than the free chip replacement to report. Good Luck with your issue. FLJoe

Collapse -
by MC4221 / July 16, 2012 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: The Fix Is In!

What model was your TV? I called about my 61" dlp led Model # T6187SX/XAA and was told I would be charged cause my model number was not covered....BS. I even talked to a supervisor that was rude and said it doesn't matter if the white dots are on all channels or if the same problem exist in other covered models, it would not be covered. I was very disappointed as I read a few post on here and sounds like some are being helped and others not. I paid over 2,500 for this TV and only had it 3 yrs. I have 4 other Samsung products and can't say I will be buying any more after this experience. With a name like Samsung and the well known issue...I was confident they were going to know avail. I have placed a call to channel 7 "On your Side" in LA as they did a similar story in the bay area which resolved the same issue for a cpl and they were told the same thing I was by Samsung Supervisor. I'm hoping that will help as I think I've exhausted my efforts. Let me know if anybody out there can help before I go through all the trouble of getting in on the media to help me and others.

Collapse -
Model T6187SX/XXAA White dots
by ChristieChel / August 27, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: FLJOE

Just called Samsung and they said since TV is out of warranty they will charge to fix, I am not happy about this. I bought an extended warranty that recently was up. Had them out numerous times because TV would not shut off, now I must unplug it to get the center light to go out. I have lots of white dots and more appearing. They would not give me a price to fix and said I must wait for the repair man to give me a price. I am not happy with Samsung at all as I paid $2500 for this TV and after 4 years it is not working correctly.

Collapse -
Called customer service for white dots fix
by bigsoos / July 9, 2012 5:49 AM PDT

I called Samsung customer service yesterday and I guy came out today to replace the chip for free. New chip seems to have fixed the dots issue. Thanks Samsung!

Collapse -
DLP chip replacement
by dlp50 / October 18, 2012 11:48 PM PDT

Bottom line: Samsung paid for the chip and installation in my HLT5076 dlp TV. It was 5 years and 1 month old showing a dozen dots. I needed a supervisor to approve this as initially they approved only the chip replacement, then no help, then total replacement. After being told that I would get no help I asked to speak to a supervisor. Turns out I was denied because they had looked up the wrong serial number. Whole thing from call to replacement was 2 1/2 days. I watched the installation by the repair guy. If you get no help from Samsung then consider replacing the chip yourself. There are excellent videos on Youtube. Its just screws and disconnecting wires. The part you probably want is 4719-001997. It fits a lot of different TVs. Google the number. You can get it at Amazon or many other stores. Costs about $160. Should take an hour to replace if you go real slow and careful.

Collapse -
White Dot Fix
by EternalX-h / October 19, 2012 11:42 AM PDT

I have been having the white dot issue for the past few weeks / months as well. Looking online trying to find a solution, I found this thread. I will be calling Samsung tomorrow to see if they can fix the TV for free. If they could, that would be absolutely amazing and truly exceptional customer service and a dedication to their customers and their products. I hope I have similar success as others here.

Do you guys know if the white dot issue is also the cause of black dots? I have some white dots, and some black dots. Hoping its the same things and can be fixed and serviced.

We shall see!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.