Samsung

Question

Samsung DLP White Dots

by mharb712 / February 4, 2012 1:33 PM PST

I too have white dots that recently appeared on my 50" DLP. It seems like this has been an issue for Sammy for years. Has Sammy decided to step up and treat this problem like a reputable manufacurer would and warranty the repairs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP White Dots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP White Dots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
White dots
by mharb712 / February 5, 2012 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung DLP White Dots

My samsung model is HLT5075S. I bought an extended warranty that expired on 11/09/11. Here I am 3months out of warranty and the white dot curse has visited my DLP TV. Samsung is offering to replace the DMD Chip but not the Labor. I've read some posts that say you have to replace the entire board to fix the problem and other posts that say the DMD Chip will fix it. I'm not sure what to believe. I've also read posts where Sammy stepped up and warranted the entire repair and other posts where Sammy said "too bad". This is all very frustrating. I have 8 TVs in my house and this is the first and very well may be my last Samsung, depending on how well they treat me, the customer.

Collapse -
Answer
Warranty...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 5, 2012 7:37 AM PST

We did step up and warranty repairs for the length of the warranty.

Collapse -
White dots on HLT5676SX/XAA
by Bob68j / February 5, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: Warranty...

Samsung HD Tech, I have a HLT5676SX/XAA which is developing the white dot problem. It started with one lone dot. It amazes me how much one dot on the screen can be so annoying.. While watching the Super Bowl last night another appeared, so now I have just two. From what I have read I suspect more will appear as time goes on. I bought this TV in September of 2007 at a cost of almost $2000. I bought it because it has the best picture of any other HDTV I've seen. It still has a super nice picture except for the white dots. I don't really want to scrape it, but unless I can get the part at a reasonable price and change it myself that may be my only option.

So I actually have two questions. I am a rather techie guy. I build and repair computers and used to work on tv's back in my younger days. I've seen You Tube videos and the repair appears to be within the scope of my abilities. So my questions are, (1) Does the replacement of the DMD Chip normally resolve the problem? (2) Can you advise a good source to purchase the Chip? I've seen them advertised around the $200 to $300 range.

I guess I have one more question. Are these things repairable? Some places want a $50 core charge which is refundable when you return the old chip. I'm thinking I don't want a re-manufactured chip.

Thanks for any help or advise you can give. I really hate to give up on this TV. It has such a beautiful picture when it is working right.

Collapse -
Another White Dot
by Bob68j / February 6, 2012 4:55 AM PST

Another white dot showed up today. At this rate I will have a completely white screen in 2740 years.

Collapse -
No more white dots
by Bob68j / February 8, 2012 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Another White Dot

Replaced the DLP Chip today. Total cost $215. TV looks like new.

Collapse -
(NT) Bob68j, How difficult was it to replace?
by Kelli_S211 / February 15, 2012 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: No more white dots
Collapse -
How difficult was it?
by Kelli_S211 / February 15, 2012 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: No more white dots

I meant to ask more, but couldn't find a browser that would let me type in the body.

Collapse -
Here's a link about some model. Hope it helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2012 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: How difficult was it?
Collapse -
Not too difficult
by Bob68j / February 15, 2012 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: How difficult was it?

First off, I use to work on TV's back in my younger day and I've built and repaired computers so I'm use to working with circuit boards, chip replacement and heatsink applications. I'm 65 years old now and my fingers aren't as nibble and my eye sight is not the best for close quarters work. What I did was watch the multi-part Youtube videos named

REPLACING DLP CHIP ON A SAMSUNG HLT5676S PART 1-?...I think there was 5 separate videos. The guy in this video is fairly glumsy but he does get the part replaced and the TV works afterwards. I didn't use any power tools, just a phillips screwdriver. I took photos of everything before I started taking things apart so I'd have a reference to get everything back together. I kept my screws separated in cups so as not to have screws being install back into the wrong place. You want good lighting so you can see what you are doing. Study the screws on the DMD board, there are a few that you aren't supposed to remove. The 4 corner screws come out but there are 3 brass headed ones that are not to be disturbed. You want to remove the 4 corner screws and the ones holding the heatsink bracket in place. Once you remove the board, gently pry the old chip off paying attention as to how the new one plugs back in. Take your time, take photos. Watch the videos a few times, but use a little more finesse than the guy in the video. check and double check your work and you should be fine.

I only had 3 white dots at the time, but just those 3 had become very annoying. The TV looks as good as it did before the dots stared appearing

I bought my chip from http://shop.tvreplacementparts.com/ for $265.16. I sent the old back to them for a $50 core credit, so my cost was $215.16.

Collapse -
White Dots on my HL72A650C1FXZA
by MEErskine / January 31, 2013 9:56 AM PST

I had a Mitsubishi before I got my Samsung 72" DLP model HL72A650C1FXZA. That Mitsubishi played great for MORE than 10 years before it had any issues. Now just months past the 3 year mark with my Samsung I get about a dozen white dots on the screen that won't go away? So my $2400 purchase is crap after 3 years? Really Samsung? Not cool! To fix it I am looking at a $200-$300 replacement DLP chip PLUS labor? This is bull you know what. How can they replace some DLP chips as defective and not all of them? If they would AT LEAST send me the chip for free.. I will replace it. I am a techy and can handle that kind of thing.

I called and chatted with several reps and got no where. My ticket number is LTK56402468792X and my case number is 5105038887. If I have to pay for this repair after only 3 years of service... I won't ever be buying Samsung again. When are those Apple iTVs coming out anyway? Happy That will be my next set.

Signed,
Screwed in South Florida

Collapse -
This old thread is closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 10:01 AM PST

Please don't hide your new post in old discussions.

Collapse -
Not convinced about the reputable manufacturer...
by StarzOnTV / February 6, 2012 10:16 AM PST

HDTech-

Collapse -
Not everyone will be. But....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2012 3:23 AM PST

We're not "refusing to deal" with a repair. One can be set up for you at 800-SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Your analogy...
by StarzOnTV / February 7, 2012 1:47 PM PST

So sorry to hear about your car being 200 miles out of warranty when you had to replace that significant part.

Collapse -
Your analogy...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 8, 2012 3:11 PM PST
In reply to: Your analogy...

Unknown,

Collapse -
Great answer tv's v. cars!
by AngryGes10 / April 17, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

We are not a bad company because we are no worse than a car company. Come on!!! We are talking about TVs. We all have 10 to 15 year old tv's that never had a problem. Then Samsung starting selling DLPs and now all of the sudden we shouldn't expect a tv to last more than the warranty, which is what a year or two. My car came with 5 years, bumper to bumper with free maintenance and loaners. So Samsung, where is my free loaner tv while you figure out what is wrong with my tv? Where is my free 5 year warranty?

I guess Samsung is so bad a t customer service that they don't even monitor their own employee's postings.

Collapse -
HL-T6756W
by AngryGes10 / April 17, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

Samsung refuses to fix the wite dot problem on my HL-T6756W as they claim it is normal wear and tear. How do you have normal wear and tear to an item sealed inside the tv? This is not a leather seat in a car this is the inside of a tv. What a scam. Beware of Samsung DLP's.

Collapse -
At risk of your ire
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2012 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: HL-T6756W

Do try the Facebook note at the top of this forum under "Service Issues". It's one of the last steps along with keep asking them to fix it.

If they offer the chip only repair, it's still cheaper than a new set.

If you want to discuss the DLP life span issue (Ti made that part) I can cover some of what happened.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung TV white dots
by Sherry0551 / June 14, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

I have two white dots appearing on my Samsung tv. I'm getting very concerned reading all the posts about the same problem. I'm a widow and know nothing about fixing tvs. I think this tv is about 5 years old. My husband bought it at Conn's. Do I need to go there for help?

Collapse -
Is that in Chicago?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung TV white dots

In the USA you dial 1800SAMSUNG to begin the conversation. BE SURE TO NOTE DATE, TIME AND THE ...

Transaction Number.

Since it's this far out of warranty the best we hope for is the free DLP chip. Installing it is not free and with that core charge you find yourself debating it all.

In closing you will find this issue on other make sets that used the Ti DLP design. Some thought Samsung made this problem.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
51" 3dtv samsung
by Snoopizumi / February 5, 2012 11:34 PM PST

I have a 51" samsung 3dtv bought about a month ago, since the day of purchase i too have been getting these white dots, only on standard def channels tho, and only on certain channels i switch to a different station and they go away. Is this fixable / warrantied?

Collapse -
51" 3dtv samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2012 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: 51" 3dtv samsung

Snoopizumi -

Collapse -
Seeing spots...
by Caligirl80 / February 8, 2012 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: 51" 3dtv samsung

This is so ridiculous! As I posted in another thread, the only thing I can think of to do now is contact the BBB and Attorney General.

Collapse -
Intruding here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2012 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Seeing spots...

I read this but can you define what you mean by Standard Definitions channels?

It's just that in the old days of analog TV, over the air transmissions, we would often get 'snow' when there was interference in the atmosphere.

I get that now sometimes even with my new digital TV with digital channels that I receive through my aerial. If atmospheric conditions are bad the picture breaks up on certain channels.

Is that the same with you?

Mark

Collapse -
Something else
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 8, 2012 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Intruding here.

Something else I remembered.

One or two of the lesser digital channels I can never get to work properly. I've scanned and re-scanned countless times but they still show up with a load of snow on them such that I can barely see anything. I've put that down to either my aerial is not quite set in the proper direction/alignment, or the provider is not transmitting it properly.

I could contact the provider but I haven't bothered yet.

Mark

Collapse -
White dots
by JonnyNov / June 4, 2012 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Seeing spots...

I think its time everyone brought a class action suit against these guys. I have a HL-T6156W and it is 3 years old and i was told today that the white dots were normal wear tear. Upon doing a little investigating, it appears to me that there is an over whelming amount of people who have this same issue and if we all put our eggs in one basket then something positive might actually be accomplished. For a company to basically tell you to go screw because of a defective product is beyond unacceptable to me and i think that they should be held responsible for this

Collapse -
Answer
SAMSUNG DLP TV - MODEL: HLT5687SX/XAA "WHITE DOTS"
by NationMSO / June 14, 2012 11:48 AM PDT

So, my 4 year SAMSUNG DLP TV - MODEL: HLT5687SX/XAA extended warranty just expired two months ago and I now have three white dots on the screen. Called Samsung Technical Support and got the "SHAFT". Their comment:

"After thorough research, it was determined that only specific models exhibited a slightly higher-than-normal failure rate. Although your TV has similar symptoms, research indicates that this is due to normal wear and tear. I understand your concern. I am sorry; you will be charged for the service if the TV is out of warranty."

I paid $2,100 for this DLP just over 4 years ago from Amazon. Read the technical forums and understood that it was the best DLP on the market. Now I am VERY furious that the repair will cost me $625.00 for the component and labor. Samsung did not offer to assist with the costs of repair, nor offer to provide the component replacement "free of charge". They just want to wash their hands since I'm not a valuable customer.

Well, I have five high-end Samsung TV's in our home and will be making sure that none of my friends purchase any high-end Samsung products in the future.

Terrible customer support. A disgrace especially since this issue has been known in DLP's since 2009.

Collapse -
And tells you more about Ti than you expected.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 11:41 PM PDT

Ti (Texas Instruments) "sold" DLP heavily and recently extended Ti's projector warranties to 5 years for what we guess is exactly what you expect.

Now that you know who created this mess you can find this failure in too many DLP systems.
Bob

Collapse -
Different model, same problem
by Tmackmackz / December 12, 2012 11:30 AM PST

I just got off the phone with Samsung. They say they have never heard of my model, 61", having that issue, therefore it is not covered under same defect repair problem. If its the same dang problem, shouldn't it be covered also. Please let me know what happened with yours.

Collapse -
Answer
Recent repair request
by zoolhouse / August 19, 2012 2:30 PM PDT

Samsung has confirmed that they will do a one time repair on this issue as a courtesy. They will however, required a acceptence that if the TV does not have the Chip issue, the repair will be charge to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.