Samsung

General discussion

Samsung DLP: White dots

by rubio_israel / August 26, 2010 9:39 AM PDT

I'm getting white dots on my 56" Samsung DLP screen; Model # HLT 5676SX/XAA. Purchased in July 2007.

I called Samsung and they told me, my particular model is not covered under the service recall. I don't understand why it wouldn't be covered since it's displaying the same problem qualified DLP's were.

If anyone has any answers on how to get Samsung to service my tv, or other suggestions, I would appreciate it.

-Israel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP: White dots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP: White dots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung DLP: White dots
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 26, 2010 2:31 PM PDT

rubio_israel,

If you have a transaction number from the call, post it here and I'll see if I can have someone review your case. The Customer Service Department makes those decisions ultimately.

--HDTech

Collapse -
White Dots
by plbonilla / August 31, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

I have an HL-S5687WX and called Samsung regarding the white dots. I was told my model was not covered under the replacement as well. The service center quoted me $110 for diagnostics, $225 for labor and somewhere in the range of $150 for the part.

My transaction number is - 4007155209

Collapse -
Success
by plbonilla / November 16, 2010 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: White Dots

Call the ECR directly. Today was the first time I attempted any Samsung contact since August. The ECR was extremely helpful and immediately told me my TV would be fixed.

Collapse -
Samsung model
by KJR-harleyman / November 30, 2010 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: White Dots

I have a Samsung #HLS5686wx/XAA and it also had the start of white dots. I called 1800-Samsung and they had a repairman at my house the next day. All for no charge as it was part of a settlement with Samsung pertaining to the mirror problems. I don't know which #'s they accept but I am very happy with their response.

Collapse -
White and black dots on HLT6176SX/XAA
by lacarter8 / August 31, 2010 10:42 PM PDT

We're having the same problem with our HLT6176SX/XAA Samsung TV. I called customer service and they told me that our model number isn't covered. My transaction number is 2012096273. If there is anything you can do to help, we would be grateful.
LACarter8

Collapse -
by abclevenger / September 1, 2010 11:52 AM PDT

We're having the same problem with our HLT6176SX/XAA Samsung TV. I called customer service and they told me that our model number isn't covered. My transaction number is 2012100669. Thank you in advance for anything you can do.
Ashley

Collapse -
White dot issue
by lacarter8 / September 1, 2010 8:52 PM PDT

We are getting our TV covered by Samsung. You have to stick with it. I called three times yesterday and finally someone helped me out. He told me to call and get estimates on the repair and then call back and ask the customer service rep to pass you to the Executive Customer Relations Department. Once I did that I was told to have the repair technician come out and as long as it was determined to be a white dot issues Samsung would cover the repairs. Stick with it, I know it's frustrating.

Collapse -
by abclevenger / September 7, 2010 6:05 AM PDT

I called Samsung three times now. I finally was able to speak with the Executive Customer Service Relations Department. They are now going to order the part and have the repairman call me when it gets in. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
by surfdonkey / October 8, 2010 8:44 AM PDT

I also have the white dot problem on my 61" Samsung DLP (HLT6176SX/XAA). I called 800-SAMSUNG today (Anthony) and got the standard "your model is not covered" response. My case number is 4007358879. My TV was manufactured in May 2007 and was purchased in Feb 2008 for around $2000. Samsung has a list of TVs that they will cover for this problem, but doesn't share the list or the criteria for a particular model to be placed on the list. I am dumfounded trying to figure out why the identical DMD problem is recognized as a defect on some models but not others. I am also hoping that someone on this thread can help me to find a better alternative to scrapping an almost new 2.5 year old 61" TV.

Collapse -
you helped before.
by irti98 / October 25, 2010 4:12 PM PDT

Why is it that our model is not covered. is this not a dlp issue rather than a specific model issue. why is samsung being reluctant in replacing a minor thing instead of putting there reputation on the line. its very hard to make loyal customer with so much competition. I just dont get it how Samsung is willing to risk it all for few hundred dollar repair and to keep people away from such posts. Samsung please help and keep your loyal customers such as me.

Collapse -
White Dots!!!
by menojohnson / November 2, 2010 4:53 AM PDT

I have the same issue with my tv it just started, i had 2 dots on the right side of the screen and now its grown to 9 in the last week and now its up to 13!!!! i seen pictures of other peoples tv and theres are bad and i think mine is going to get worst Sad i spent way too much money for this tv for it to start haveing problems in the first two years!

i called samsung and they said they wont cover it because it not the model they cover!! what kind of mess is that???? its the same tv from the same family of all the others ones messing up. I have a hl-s6187w and my ticket number is 2012400058 PLEASE HElP THANK YOU SO MUCH!

TONY.

Collapse -
Samsung HL-T6187S DLP: White dots
by nschoenebeck / November 14, 2010 4:11 AM PST

for me it started with two white dots... 4 weeks ago.. now I can't count them any more.. all over my 61" display... basically unusable.. my TV is only 3 years old and very rarely used.. (basement xbox only)... I did a live chat as well as called Samsung... they basically saying that they can't help... I would need to make a service call and pay for the repair.... very frustrating... I am astonished how easy Samsung throws away customer relationships... does anybody have any ideas before I put my $1800 TV to the trash? tks ...

Collapse -
Was it in warranty or not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 4:26 AM PST

This reads just like folk I meet today that expected their car to not need repair or service. Outside the warranty is expensive and why some purchase extended warranties.

It sounds like you want a free repair out of warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
warranty
by nschoenebeck / November 14, 2010 6:45 AM PST

It's all a question of customer expectations.. if a low mileage car's engine falls apart just after the the warranty expired and makes the car unusable.. I would assume the manufacture makes suggestions to help fixing it... for me a name brand TV should produce a viewable picture longer than 3 years...

Collapse -
You bet
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 2:53 PM PST
In reply to: warranty

But today's designs are only 5 or so many years. And look at the TVs with bulbs that might be some hundreds of hours. Why did anyone buy those?

Yes, it's a shame. Maybe we need to re-think this and get some longer than 1 year warranties?

Let's face it, if the makers don't offer more than a year warranty, did they just reveal what they thought of their own product?
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung HL-T6187S DLP: White dots
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2010 9:21 AM PST

nschoenebeck.

If you have a transaction number from a recent call, I'd like to try to see if I can have someone review the situation.

If not, try calling to get a repair. If you're not able to get help by calling 800-SAMSUNG, ask for a transaction number and post it here.

I can't promise anything, except to try to see what I can do. But I would like the opportunity to try.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung HLT6156W DLP White Dots
by nschoenebeck / December 14, 2010 11:15 PM PST

HDTech, thanks for your offer... in the mean time I purchased the DLP chip and fixed it myself as tech support denied my request to do so... if you can help getting my $200 chip investment reimbursed.. I would be grateful.. tks Norbert.

Collapse -
Unfortunately...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 15, 2010 5:52 PM PST

nschoenebeck,

Unfortunately, I can't do much after a repair was done. It's not a pretty answer, but it's straightforward. That's the best I can do.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Please Help
by rickinflorida / September 8, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

I'm a Big Samsung Fan, but lately the service is really bad. I have 2 of these HL-T6187 TV's and now one has white and Black dots and they refuse to fix it and they know it's a known issue.

Please help me if you can.

Transaction Number: 4112222977

Thanks,
Rick

Collapse -
Please Help
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 13, 2011 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Please Help

rickinflorida,

Collapse -
Please Help me too!!
by Tim_CS / September 13, 2011 8:39 AM PDT

My TV has started to get the same white dots that everybody else has had but Samsung keeps telling me they will not help me in any way. My model is HLT5676SX/XAA which they say isn't included. They just fixed this same exact model barely two months ago. I've loved all of the Samsung TVs I've had and hope I can get this one fixed. I've had two different ticket numbers with Samsung.

Please help I can't afford to fix this right now.

Collapse -
HDTech
by rickinflorida / September 13, 2011 10:16 AM PDT

They refused to fix it. They called a Service Tech and had them call me and tell me it's going to cost 500.00 to fix it... I'm very upset.

They told me my model doesn't have that issue... I said tell me where to email a picture of my TV with white and black dots all over the screen too so I can prove it has issues.

I just called them back about it and went to a manager and she got rude with me about it and said basically... can't help you have a nice day.

HDTech... I posted this on the other Thread I'm very upset if you read this you will understand why all the money I put into These TV's and have to throw them away after 4 years:::

I posted here about the white dot issue and someone from Samsung called a
local repair tech and they called me this morning to tell me the same
exact thing Samsung told me... No we are not repairing the TV and it
will cost me 500.00.

If Samsung doesn't warranty this TV I'm done
with them. I've owned 6 Samsung TV's The first 3 DLP the Digital Board
(YES all 3 digital board went bad it's a known issue) and they refused
to fix it. Now I've got 3 more Samsung TV's and I've got issues with
these and it's a known issue of the white dots.

All 6 of my
Samsung TV's haven't lasted more than 4 years... Great Quality
Control!!! Or better yet Great Customer Service! They refused to fix any
products they produce... and on top of it when there is a Known Issue
they don't care knowing there is a problem with their products. I guess
they design their products to last no more than 4 years! I had to throw
away the first 3 TV's because the Digital Boards were so expensive it
wasn't worth fixing. I guess that's how they do business... Make their
products last only a couple of years so we will buy more of their
products.Samsung's

Customer service is a JOKE! They don't stand
behind their products. I should of known better to buy another set of
their TV's since they wouldn't fix the first 3 I had.

If they
don't repair this TV... I will pull everything Samsung out of my house
and sell it. Which includes 3 LED DLP TV's, 2 Blu-Ray Players, 2 Cell
phones, 1 Digital Box and anything else Samsung I can find around here.
I'll find a better product that they stand behind their products. I will
never recommend a Samsung Product to another person.

My advice to them is fix the TV they know there is a issue in the design.

Transaction Number: 4112222977

Collapse -
Samsung_HD_Tech
by rickinflorida / September 13, 2011 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: HDTech

Samsung_HD_Tech,

Please understand my post my sound bad, but it really hurt throwing away 1,000's of dollars worth of TV's all 3 having the same issue with Digital Boards within 4 years because Samsung wouldn't stand behind them... Then going to buy another set of Samsung TV's just to find out these have a known issue and Samsung will not stand behind them... This just is financially hurts my wallet especially since I've been laid off from my job of over 10 years and took a major major hit in pay.

I was in Retail and we sold products and if I seen the same problem coming back over and over I stood behind my products no matter how long ago you bought it because I seen it was a manufacturing problem and because of that I kept my customers which spent more money with me. Sometimes you have to give a little to receive a lot down the road Samsung needs to understand this. I've been a Loyal Customer of Samsung, but it's not financially feasible to keep buying their product if they don't stand behind it when there is a known issue.

Yes I'm upset as you can tell in my post, but who wouldn't be? I spent almost $6,000 on the first 3 DLP's I bought and trashed them, Then I spent another $8,000 to replace them now I'm having problems with these TV's well with one right now. I have another one that the melody stopped working on.

Rick

Collapse -
HDTech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 15, 2011 7:51 AM PDT

rickinflorida,

Collapse -
Help!!
by Tim_CS / September 15, 2011 10:18 AM PDT

HDTech,

Any chance you could try and help me out too? I posted above on 9/13/2011.

Thanks,
Tim

Collapse -
Help!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 15, 2011 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Help!!

Tim_CS,

Collapse -
Help!! Samsung White Dots!!!
by Dannie1014 / September 21, 2011 1:27 PM PDT

SamsungTV HD Tech,

I am now having the same issues w/ my 60" DLP tv. I bought the tV about 3 yrs ago and have had to replace the bulb and now 4 months later I am getting the white dots on the screen. It started about 2 days ago. It started w/ just 1 dot and now there are 9 more in less than 24 hrs. It seems that everytime I turn the TV on there is a new white dot. My model number is HLT6176SX/XAA and when I called customer service they tell me that my TV is not on the list for the TV's that are under warranty and have known issues. In reading these threads I see that several other customers have experienced the same thing and have the same model number and have not had any resolution. My transaction number is 2109171794 and I told the supervisor that I spoke w/ that it is bad business that if this is a known issue that Samsung should stand behind their products and fix the issue. I also told him that I was going to call the Better Business Bureau tomorrow and file a complaint because Samsung is not standing behind their product and I have always had high expectations of Samsung. I have owned many Samsung products and have always had good dealings w/ customer service. I don't know how the model numbers get on the list of known issues but I really do believe that they should re-visit and update their list accordingly. When I told the supervisor that I was unhappy, he basically told me there was nothing he could do because my tv is no longer under warranty and that I would have to pay for the repairs. Again, if this is a "known"issue and not just a 1 customer problem then why should we as consumers have to pay for this. Can you assist me in getting some resolution or point me in the direction to have this "white dot" problem resolved. Any assistance you could provide would be extremly helpful and appreciated.

Collapse -
DLP HLT5676S with White Dots
by jman5657 / September 22, 2011 9:44 AM PDT

Hello HD Tech

Collapse -
Service
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 23, 2011 7:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung HTL 5076 sw/xaa
by fauchk65 / November 27, 2011 6:28 AM PST

I need help to see if i can fet my tv fixed for free it has white spot all over it

Trans# 4113033352

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.