Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung DLP problems (Shuts down/ white dots)

by lr293 / January 1, 2009 2:16 AM PST

I have two Samsung DLP tv's, one is a two year old HLS5686WX, the other is a HLS5087WX only a years old. I purchased the second DLP (HLS5087) for my parents because at the time I loved the one I had and thought it would make a great gift, exactly one year after they had it the tv it began to shut down on its own. My DLP (HLS5686) which is exactly two years old (extended warranty is up) has twenty-three white dots on the screen. It started with one dot, two days later two more, within one week we have twenty-three. Now our DLP shut downs on its own. We contacted Samsung and they said it sound like one of the mirrors is going bad and they could only set us up with a local certified Samsung repair shop. Neither Samsung or the repair center will give us a round about price for fixing the problems (I've read it may run us about $800 to the low $1,000's per unit). I have been looking online for people with the same problems and it seems these are very common problems and they start within the same length of time after purchase. I asked Samsung if it could be defect and tech support said although we may have found people online with the same problems, they can not consider it a defect because these people are not calling to complain. I would really like to know if these are defects. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP problems (Shuts down/ white dots)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP problems (Shuts down/ white dots)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can confirm....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 1, 2009 2:31 AM PST

lr293,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

The DLP unit is warrantied for a year. Within that time frame, the last I heard is even if one micro-mirror gets stuck, we will replace the entire board, and an extended contract will usually extend that coverage. Changing out the DMD device itself is impossible as it is attached to the board.

Even if people did call to complain after the warranty, we can make an exception on a case-by-case basis (Such as a year and a month, for instance), but that's a call that our service department would make. I have no authority on that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks
by lr293 / January 1, 2009 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: I can confirm....

Thank you for taking the time to respond. My DLP is past the warranty, when we contacted tech support we asked if Samsung offers an extended warranty and we were told they do, only if you request an extended warranty within the first 11 months. I wish I knew better. I do like Samsung's products but you have to understand our frustration. Between the two tv's we spent a lot of money, now we have to pay a tech to come in and we don't even know what the problem is so who knows what the cost of repair will be.

Collapse -
HLS-5087 Having Shut-down problems
by badhank / January 3, 2009 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

I have the HLS-5087 and it just started having the same problems as mentioned above about a week ago. The TV will shut down when using the PS3 and Home Theater PC (both of which are relying on HDMI inputs). After using the HTPC or PS3 for a while, the TV will shut down. I can turn the TV back on and the only delay is the standard time which is required to warm up the lamp. The TV will shut down again within 5-10 minutes.

I have not experienced the shut-down problem on other inputs yet; however, I'm not sure if that's because it's a new issue or if the other inputs are not affected.

I've checked the TV for dust and there was no excessive build-up. I also checked the one cooling fan I could see and it appears to be functional. When the TV shuts down, the Standby/TEMP and LAMP lights flash 2-3 times and turn off.

I'm going to call Samsung tech support tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

For those having the issues, has anyone figured out the problem since their last post?

Collapse -
Same problem
by texmw / January 6, 2009 12:26 AM PST

I've got the HLS5687W, purchased December '06. About three months ago, it started the same shut-down problems. It is out of warranty, but this seems like a product defect.

If it is a $1000 fix, I'll have to weigh whether it is worth keeping, new Plasmas/LCDs are selling cheap right now.

Collapse -
shut down
by lr293 / January 6, 2009 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

After viewing HDTechs post I contacted Samsung again and in regards to HLS5087WX, which is only 13 months old, Samsung is willing to pay for any repair cost because I have an extended warranty. But with the tv that is two years old they need to send my complaint to the executive tech department for further review (keeping my fingers crossed) if all goes well they will send a tech at no cost.
Please make sure you call Samsung and tell them about your problem.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update...
by texmw / January 6, 2009 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: shut down

I'll give them a call and keep my fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Shut down on HLS5087WX
by hmtorab / January 12, 2009 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: shut down

I have the same problem with my HLS5087WX Samsung which is only about 2 years old. My TV Shuts down after 30-40 minutes of use with 3 blinking lights. first I thought the Lamp was the problem. I replacted the lamp... Then I replaced the balast to no avail. I called a technician to look at it, and he replaced the color wheel, but he now says the problem is not the color wheel but perhaps the optical engine/DMD unit. Anyhelp here.. ?

Collapse -
Technician....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2009 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: Shut down on HLS5087WX

I'd say that if that's the diagnosis given by the technician, and you've replaced the ballast, lamp and color wheel, the engine may be the issue.

Have you tried reseating your lamp?

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung turn off and turns on but no picture
by pacheco_armas / January 14, 2010 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Technician....

hi i have a samsung HLN5065WX/XXA I WAS WATCHING IT AND IT TURNED OFF WHEN I TURN IT BACK ON THERE WAS NO PICTURE AND THEY TOLD ME IT WAS THE LAMP AND I CHANGED IT BUT THERE IS STILL NI PIC WHEN I TURN IT ON IT TURN BACK OFF BY IT SELF AFTER 30 SEC AND THEN 3 LITTLE LIGHTS INFRONT OF THE TV TURN ON. 2 YELLOW AND 1 RED, THEY SAID TEMP. LAMP. TIMER

Collapse -
TURNING ON & OFF NO PICTURE
by STARTREK89 / February 6, 2010 11:46 AM PST

I HAVE THE SAME TV. ONE DAY IT THE PICTURE WANT OUT, BUT THIS WAS AFTER 4 YRS. OF HAVE THE TV. IT SOUND LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAD. I PURCHASE A NEW COLOR WHEEL & I PUT IT ON MY SELF. NOT A EASY JOB. AS I DISCONNTED ALL THE PART I NUMBER THEM SO THAT I CAN PUT THEM BACK THE SAME WAY. I PAID $130 FOR THE COLOR WHEEL. THEY WANT TO CHARGE ME $500 FOR FIXING IT. THE TV HAS WORKED FINES UNTIL NOW. NOW I'M GETTING DIFF. COLORS ON MY SCREEN AFTER THE TV HAS BEEN ON FOR 3 MINS.

Collapse -
Turning on and off, no picture
by hjisr / February 17, 2010 3:39 PM PST

Hi, reading these problems, I realize that it is way too late for many of you who posted a year or more ago but I am driving an Samsung HL67A510J1FXZA DLP 67 inch tv that at 15 months, one year 3 months decided to become a piece of the decor as furniture only. My lady loved watching it and has been all over me to get it fixed. Well I read all the blogs I could, purchased and downloaded the schematics and then I ordered and replaced the ballast(always the first stupid thought after the bulb which I replaced first, when I purchased the tv I knew the bulbs would be an issue so I started buying them in advance). Well that wasn't it so I purchased the PCB board and installed it. That wasn't it either, so I purchased the SMPS board which is more expensive but smaller and easier to install, the ballast was the worst. Got it yesterday 2/16/10 and installed it last night, that was the one. I should have figured it out sooner because with the unit turning itself on and off the SMPS board is the first stage of power input from the wall plug and does some fancy distribution work from that point on. Well the tv is doing all it should except now I am having tinting(not solid) colors rotating green, red, blue and then perfect color, then the rotation all over again and it is constant. The wierd thing is the HD cable channels and DVD movies are sharp and the high def is in there, just that wierd tinting of colors, even black and white is treated with tinting. Well it cost me an additional $450.00 approx. and some time plus a lot of reading. When the sets start turning on and off the first thing to look for is that SMPS board, then if it doesn't come back start the bulb, ballast, PCB board and deeper into the set in that order and the ultimate step is the purchase of another tv if your heart can stand it. Wish all a great deal of luck with the DLP experience.

Collapse -
Samsung HL67A510 15 mths old
by clofthouse / March 3, 2010 11:18 PM PST

our same 67 model same thing 15 months, replaced lamp still nothing, waiting for tech as we have Cosco Concierge two year warranty. However we are waiting 10 days for them to order parts, not sure which ones, I will have to ask and make sure they bring "EVERYTHING" or maybe just a new TV would suffice, just not Samsung!

Collapse -
was ballast the problem as fisrt fix
by pinkman67 / October 17, 2010 1:25 PM PDT

i have a dlp 72 inch and it keeps turning on/off. I replaced the bulb and just started again doing the same. I do not want to throw good money after bad, so I was wondering if the ballast should be next? the colors on the screen were also changing the brown and green tones.

thx

dave

Collapse -
Fix for overheating problem related to HLS5087W
by DeanGPC / August 29, 2011 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Shut down on HLS5087WX

I have the Same exact model, and went through the same problems as you did. The issue is the overheating problem. What I had to do, is replace the fan that blows the hot air out through the bulb, bought a high powered fan to replace (separate power connection to outlet). then attached the same fan that came with the tv to the exaust part of the tv. since that fix my problem has been fixed. you might also want to take off the back cover and tape down the heat sensor switch.

Collapse -
Satellite
by lr293 / January 6, 2009 4:30 AM PST

We have our tv's hooked up to a satellite. One tv has the wii connected, but the problem started prior to hooking up the game system.

Collapse -
Call Samsung
by badhank / January 8, 2009 10:37 AM PST
In reply to: Satellite

Since my last post, I've seen the issue on multiple sources. I'll call Samsung tomorrow and see what support I can get. I'll post if anything works out.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP Shuts off after 20-30 minutes then cycle power
by DLP TV / March 12, 2009 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I can confirm....

13 months old Samsung DLP HL-T6156WX/XAA shuts off after 20-30 minutes (initial) then turns it self back on then off then on (1-2 minutes in between). It looks to me when it gets a ittle warm or hot then it turns off then back on when it cools down some. Both fans inside the TV spin freely without any noise or grinding. One thing I noticed is that When placing an external fan gently blowing toward the power supply side the TV works for hours. Does anyone have any ideas (i.e power supply, ballast, color wheel, ??) . I have already changed the lamp ( and rest the timer) with same results.

Quick Help Is much appreciated

Collapse -
Free warranty extention...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

DLP TV,

I would suggest you register your television online. Doing so gives you an additional 3 months on your 1-year warranty. Then call and see if they can send a service technician to diagnose and repair your unit.

Keep me posted!

--HDTech

Collapse -
Call Samsung???
by p_poulin01 / September 6, 2011 11:56 PM PDT

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><span style="'font-family:" "Arial","sans-serif";'><font size="3">I had the
worst experience I've ever had with any customer service dept. I was hung up on;
I was told that the days of TV's lasting 5 to 10 years are over. On one
occasion I asked the rep. for her name at the end of the call and she stated,
and I quote: "No. It's our policy. We give you our name at the beginning
of the call. It's not my fault you don't remember.
I spent $1,200.00 on this
unit and I live alone. It was about 4.5 yrs old when I noticed the first signs
of trouble. It started slowly and increased to the point it no longer could be
watched. It turns on, picture freezes after 2 to 3 seconds then motion again.
It does this over and over no matter the input source. I do not watch TV that
much. As I work 12hr. shifts caring for children with cancer, there were days
the unit didn't even get turned on. The local technician Samsung set me up with
asked for the model number. He then, without hesitation, described my problem
with the unit in detail. I was amazed. He then stated that each model has
problems and he has serviced so many that he has memorized each and their
defects. He quoted 800.00 to 1000.00 for repairs. That's about what I paid for
the darn thing.
The technician then suggested that I just buy a new unit, as
1/3 of the people who paid this ridiculous amount for repairs had problems
again within 12 to 18 months. Samsung was my favorite brand as they usually
make top quality products. So they screw up on one technology. They need to
have the spine to stand up to it and help out their loyal customers. Even Best
Buy was in discussed at the way I was treated. I spoke with one of their CEO's.
I told him I read the blogs about how bad the customer service was. But I am
one to take what I read online with a grain of salt. But it was oh so very true.
I am also one the does not lose my temper or curse. I try to work things out
with a business type approach.</font>
<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Collapse -
Samsung Rear Proj TV suts down after 20 + minutes HL-S5087WX
by Byron Hodges / January 8, 2010 12:13 AM PST

We have been having this problem for about 3 months. The tv is 2 1/2 years old. Called SAMSUNG. Our TV is out of warranty and they referred us to a service provide in the area. If it costs 800 to 1000 dollars, I have to weigh my option to repair or buy new. Anyone get thr problem fixed? Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung DLP = 4 year life - then land fill product
by kinsp / March 3, 2010 3:36 AM PST

My Samsung DLP HLR4667WAX is 4 years old and has the following problems:
1) screen goes green
2) screen has lines thru it
3) powers off then power cycles back on - intermitent
4) flickers

I had an extended warranty w/Best Buy. I was late by 13 days tried to renew and they would NOT let me get back in because I was late - they based it on insurance purposes. Which in my view states that SAMSUNG product is known for this defect.

I will never buy another product from Best Buy - i used to spend about $2k a year from them. Their lack of customer service is clear they don't care.

Samsung products are obviously inferior and their customer service is weak at best. They want to have a technician from 150 miles away - i live 40 miles outside of NYC to help fix my problem - at who knows what cost minimum for the person to get here is $150.

I am planning to just junk the TV- yes fill the land fill on a TV that 4 years ago was $1,800 + 400 service contract.

BEST BUY = worst company to buy from and SAMSUNG = Inferior products.

Unless someone has a better answer...Land fill here goes the junk from SAMSUNG!

Collapse -
Sorry to hear - I had same problems
by dogdaysman / March 3, 2010 1:33 PM PST

I bought a 56 inch Samsung DLP from Magnolia HiFi in 9/2003. Also bought a 4 year extended service warranty. Total cost close to $5000. TV needed color wheel replaced and then after warranty expired (soon after) problems started. Power cycling, blank screen, etc. A repairman said it was likely the light engine or a circuit board. Expected repair cost of $1000 and more problems in the future. I contacted Samsung multiple times and also Magnolia. Not a bit of help or even an offer to pay for parts. I ended up taking my beloved TV to a recycling center and leaving it. About a month later I called Samsung again and was told that there had been two recalls on my TV - and yet over a period of several months and multiple calls, no Samsung customer rep or the executive customer relations person told me.

I will never buy another Samsung product, nor will I ever buy again from Magnolia.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP TVs filling land fills
by kinsp / March 3, 2010 6:33 PM PST

It is a shame that nobody cares. Samsung states that they don't track the internet postings stating there are obvious problems with their product.

If you want contacts of execs to call at samsung let me know. Somebody has to care. If not an environmental group will have to make a campaign against Samsung.

Best Buy would not reup on insurance policy because they know that the product was a looser.

So the data is out there. Samsung is just NOT stepping up.

Collapse -
Terrible products
by jimmypgp / December 20, 2010 3:20 PM PST

I agree. My 3 yr old Samsung HL-T5676S DLP TV also starts having white dots all over the screen. What a terrible defect and Samsung should start recalling all of their DLP TV's.

Collapse -
White dots
by tlosteen / January 26, 2011 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Terrible products

We have a Samsung DLP that is 3 years old. We have noticed 1 white dot for a few months. In the past week this has increased to 3 and there are also black dots diffusely over the screen.

Collapse -
White Dots of Death
by bradley914 / May 11, 2011 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: White dots

I too have the HLT5676 product. Last week we noticed one white dot... which has now multiplied to 4. I called Samsung to file a claim to have the spots repaired. They said that not enough people with the HLT5676 product have made claims for them to cover the repairs. The HLT5675 model is covered. The Samsung representative was unable to tell me the difference between the 5676 and 5675 models.
Basically, we either pay for the repairs or buy a new TV...

Collapse -
Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2011 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: White Dots of Death

Make a new post with this info, what country and the all important transaction number and hope.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed the problem - not filling Landfills Samsung DLP TVs
by kinsp / July 18, 2011 1:00 AM PDT

Samsung after emails, calls and threads like this fixed my problems back in March 2010.

Thank you Samsung. Not sure how long it will last...but so far over a year.

Best Buy on-the-other-hand - has never seen another dollar from me.

Collapse -
same problem
by cookiedust / April 19, 2011 1:35 PM PDT

I have the same issues, I will never buy Samsung again.

Collapse -
If you check the entire discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2011 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem

You may be passing up an opportunity. Drop me a note if you missed it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.