Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung DLP HLT5687S white dots problem

by stl_mdk / October 11, 2012 10:51 AM PDT

I've seen a lot of posts around the internet about people with white dots on their Samsung DLP TVs. I've just started seeing them on mine. I have a HLT5687SX/XAA. I bought it in June 2007. It started as 1 and after a couple weeks there's now about 12. I've seen posts where people who had this problem had it fixed at no cost even though their TVs were long out of warranty. I called Samsung to see if they'd extend me the same courtesy, but they said no.

Apparently, not enough people with MY specific model have had the problem, so they're claiming it's "normal wear-and-tear". Obviously that's completely ridiculous, as their other DLPs have had the exact same problem, and I hear that it's actually the TI DLP chip that's the cause. I seriously doubt that the DLP chip in mine is different than the ones that they DO cover, yet for some reason they've decided to bury their heads for owners of my model.

Has anyone else had this experience and found a way to convince Samsung to cover their cost? I find it absurd that they're trying to tell me this is "normal wear and tear" when it's barely 5 years old and the exact same problem has happened to so many other TVs of the same vintage. Is there anything I can do to get them to do the right thing.

stl_mdk has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP HLT5687S white dots problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP HLT5687S white dots problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by stl_mdk

Collapse -
Got Samsung to cover the repair
by stl_mdk / November 5, 2012 1:38 PM PST

Sorry to bump this, but I figured I'd let you know that I finally got Samsung to cover the cost of repairing this problem. After the first time I talked to the "Executive Customer Relations" department and they refused to cover my model, I demanded to speak to a supervisor. They said the supervisor would call me within 48 hours. I received a call at work and couldn't answer. This I related in a a previous post, but the voice mail the supervisor left was barely understandable since he spoke so fast, but basically said they wouldn't cover it and left no way for me to contact him (I couldn't even understand the name he left).

So I called again and immediately demanded to talk to the ECR dept, and got through. I basically told them the same thing I told them before, and that before they told me that my model wasn't covered but I didn't accept that. Well, this time, to my surprise, the lady said "I'm showing we DO cover your model". I even double checked to make sure she had the right model (87s) and she did. So we set up the appointment with a local repair shop, they came out and fixed it, and it's done. Everything works great now. I have no idea what changed their minds between a few weeks ago and now. Maybe they got enough complaints between then and now, or maybe she really did mess up the model numbers. Either way, it's done. Thanks to everyone else on this thread for their input.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP HL-T5687S - White Dots
by Ljochmann / December 31, 2012 9:28 AM PST

This past November I had one white dot. Today 12/31/12 I have over 50 white dots on my TV. I contacted Samsung online chat.. they said I needed to place a service call. I did that online as well. I will give them 48 hours to call me back before I start calling ECR. I think it is outrageous that a TV I bought 5 years ago for $1800 is not lasting longer. I know I do not watch more then 3-5 hours a day on it... this TV should have lasted a lot longer. I sure hope they cover this issue.

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2012 10:58 AM PDT

There were models that did have early failures but the part in question will wear out. I can only guess if you read the Ti paper about this issue. There is no cover up from what I've seen but from what I can read, it's not a 10 year design. Those other makers are getting the same failures too so it's not the TV maker that saves you from this failure at all.

Sorry to read this again.
Bob

Collapse -
Then they shouldn't have marketed it as having a longer life
by stl_mdk / October 12, 2012 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly no.

Well, if it's a failure of the part that's sad to hear, then maybe I could at least be covered for the part and I could pay to have it replaced or figure out how to replace it myself. Whatever the case, Samsung sold me on this model because of the fact that it's an LED lit screen, instead of a rear-lamp which obviously are known to go out after some (relatively) small number of hours. I bought this model specifically so that it would NOT go out in five years, and considering what I paid for it I don't think it's asking for the moon for them to live up to that sales pitch.

You say "it's not a 10 year design". Really? From the way Samsung marketed this thing in 2007 you'd think it was a 20-year design! I'm looking at the giant LED sticker on the front of the model (which I never peeled off) which touts it as "Long life with no bulbs to replace!" I understand new technology isn't generally as reliable, but FIVE years for a top-of-the-line $2000 TV? I don't consider that "long life" even by today's standards. I'm just supposed to shrug and say "aww shucks, don't make 'em like they used to"?

Collapse -
Ti fibbed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2012 1:23 AM PDT

I guess you didn't find the paper so here it is. Skip down to figure 9 and notice what happened if you add 10 or 20 degrees to the DMD temperature. Since you can't control where folk install the TV or the environment of the TV this is one of the primary aging factors. Link follows.
http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/dlpdmd/133_ieeeir.pdf

Since this heat matters so much you also wonder why the set makers (remember that Samsung is not the only consumer of that DMD chip from Ti) didn't tell folk to keep the set vents clean and schedule a tech to check on it yearly. But that would have been unacceptable to marketing and probably some engineer was told to go home.

This is not the only component in today's sets that are 5 year designs. There's a simple flat cable that I don't have the spec handy that has a similar short span. Not to mention electrolytic caps.

This is a classic area of discussion of how the makers under extreme pressure to reduce costs and deliver big screens along with a marketing machine that would never allow any use warnings brought about this small disaster.

Ti started this all by having a great idea but it was only that and as you see in the paper, doesn't stand up to the real world.

-> About your aw shucks. If Samsung offers a labor only repair, take it as the DMD chip costs about that much. If you do it yourself there are videos and more about the work.
Bob

Collapse -
same problem with samsung customer service
by mrg77546 / October 15, 2012 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly no.

I to purchase a Samsung DLP tv and starting to have white dots on my screen, it started with one and now i'm up to 29 dots. I tried to talk to customer service abouts this matter and they told me the same thing that my tv was out of warranty and that my model was not covered under there recall because the haven't recieved enough complains about this matter(model # HL56A650CLFX2A). Its my understanding that they recieved notice about this chip from their own service techs that this chip would go out in two to three years and the white dots would start to appear, there excuse that its wear and tear its false, if anything that would go out for wear and tear i think it would be the lamp first. I had my brother ask me about purchasing a samsung tv and told him to stay away from therre products

Collapse -
Sorry don't you mean
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2012 7:02 AM PDT

Products that used the Ti DMD? Since this failure is seen across most DMD based sets, wouldn't you extend this to all those other makes?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'm in the same boat
by mjn138 / October 14, 2012 4:03 AM PDT

I'm currently going back and forth with Samsung over this. I understand the concept of a warranty, and that parts do wear out, but at some point there has to be a respect for brand loyalty. Not repairing this particular model (but covering others) is setting a poor example, and is going to cause people like me (and I'm assuming the original poster) to not purchase Samsung products and to recommend others to not purchase Samsung products.

I'll let everyone know how my repair requests. I've had my issue escalated, whatever that means, with a call to come in the next two business days.

Collapse -
Glad I'm not alone
by stl_mdk / October 15, 2012 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm in the same boat

I got the same response from Samsung about a "supervisor" calling me back in 2-3 days. Well I got the call at 8:50am when I was at work and couldn't take the call. He left a message where he spoke so fast I could barely understand him, but the gist was "too bad, so sad" but more polite, and left no way for me to get ahold of him. He left his name but I could barely understand it. So apparently leaving an indecipherable message on my voice mail was what was meant by getting a supervisor.

R. Proffitt, I appreciate you explaining the details of why this is happening, and yes it appears it's a faulty design by TI. But I didn't buy a TI chip, I bought a Samsung TV that was advertised as having long shelf life. I can accept the fact that new tech is always going to have bugs, but the ultimate insult here is for them to tell me that a component that failed in other similar models is a manufacturer's defect, but the EXACT same component failing in the exact same manner in my model is "normal wear-and-tear". If it's a faulty TI chip, it's up to them to sue TI to recover the losses of having to cover the sets that they cover. But I'm entitled to the same courtesy they showed their other customers of the almost-same model. How could they ever expect me to purchase a Samsung product in the future or recommend them after such blatant disregard for their customers?

I'm not through with them yet, I'm calling back tomorrow and I'm not getting off the phone until I speak with someone who can actually do something. I'll let you all know what comes of it.

Collapse -
Let me share a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Glad I'm not alone

If someone offers to cover a chip only repair that might be a good deal. Keep in mind I offer the inside scoop so you know it will wear out again. Some folk think this "fixes" it. Nothing could be farther from the truth and those in the industry (I'm only an electronics designer) can't reveal what's going on most of the time.

So back to that possible offer. If they offer to cover the chip and labor only charge, it's not a bad deal as the chip runs in the 200 buck range. And the chips did get a little rare after the Japan Fukushima disaster. Some folk will not want to know this but it was a problem as the production of the chips halted for a time.

Bob

Collapse -
Class action
by mjn138 / October 16, 2012 4:23 AM PDT

Just an FYI. I submitted information to http://www.abingtonlaw.com/DLP-white-spot-class-action.html, and one of their lawyers called me right back. I'm not one of the plaintiffs in an upcoming lawsuit against Samsung over this issue.

I lost all patience with their customer service team, and this is the result.

Collapse -
Is this group smart enough to include Ti?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Class action

Out of curiosity are they naming Ti as well? If not, you know why it matters now. I'm not a lawyer but some of my clients are and this subject has come up. As I want to maintain a good relationship with the makers I can not offer any expert testimony but my clients and a few friends who are lawyers were quite clear that any case that named only Samsung was possibly run by ambulance chasers.

Think it over.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. And when this gets legal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

And when this gets "legal" it's no longer a service issue and you can't expect support folk to go near your posts. Be sure you intended to never hear from support again.
Bob

Collapse -
No intention of dealing with Samsung support again
by mjn138 / October 16, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

They made it real clear they had no intention of helping me, on the phone and via chat. I'll purchase a new TV, and hold on to this one till the eventual class action (this one or another) comes through. Honestly, I can afford the 400-500 to repair this thing, but thats not the point.

As far as whether they were going after TI as well, I believe they were, but don't quote me on that.

Collapse -
The last one I helped with was half that much to fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 10:34 AM PDT

Take a look at shopjimmy and price out a DMD.

And good to read they listed Ti.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry wasn't suggesting the chip cost 400
by mjn138 / October 16, 2012 12:26 PM PDT

I wasn't suggesting the chip cost 400, but that the entire process, including paying someone to do it, would cost that much.

I'm technical enough to swap out a hard drive, or change the RAM in my computer, but I unfortunately draw the line at taking apart my screen. And believe me, I've thought about it. I just don't trust myself to do it.

Collapse -
I wached the video on how to do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2012 12:54 PM PDT

And it was just as hard as changing a CPU in the common PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Installing the Chip
by stl_mdk / October 16, 2012 6:24 PM PDT

So if I can change a CPU in a PC, you think I could replace this chip? Are there service manuals out there I could buy that would show me how to take apart my set and do this? As long as it doesn't require any special hard-to-obtain tools or anything like soldering, I'm thinking about trying it if I could get them to cover the chip. I remember you said there were videos out there showing how to do it. If I could get another 5 years out of this thing at least it wouldn't be so bad of a purchase. It's otherwise a fine set. Would there be anything I could do to prevent it from happening in the future? Like keeping the vents clean or something?

R. Proffitt thanks for all the info you've provided on this issue, you've been very helpful and my frustration isn't directed at you.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2012 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing the Chip

Over at shopjimmy there are videos as well on youtube.

Service manuals seem to run 38 bucks and while a nice idea, I would not buy a service manual given the videos I've seen on this work. (Sorry, but I'm writing as if I never did this work so to try to give those that are contemplating it their best shot.)

Links follow. Find out if you can get the DMD first.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-4719-001969-dlp-chip.htm has a video worth watching. Notice what is said at the 1 minute mark? Sadly true.

-> Keep in mind that the Japan Fukishima disaster caused the Ti factory to shut down and while I read it's back up, there will be some DMD chips that will be hard to find.

I'm a little concerned they didn't dive into the heatsink pad or compound since we know that the DLP chip temperature is critical to long chip life. If the pad is old I replace that or put some heatsink compound on the surface to ensure good heat conduction.

Be sure to keep the dust down as dust on any lens, DLP chip or elsewhere and you know what to expect.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.