Samsung forum

Rant

Samsung DLP HDTV - screen white spots

by roreru / January 26, 2012 9:51 PM PST

My 61" DLP is getting 1/8th inch white spots on the screen. Last week were 2, now they are 6 spots. I search on CNET for the problem and there are a lot of customers complaining about the same issue. Different models of HDTV but all are Samsung DLPs showing the same problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP HDTV - screen white spots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP HDTV - screen white spots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung DLP HDTV - screen white spots
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 30, 2012 2:12 AM PST

roreru,

Collapse -
RE: Samsung DLP Case number
by roreru / January 30, 2012 11:33 AM PST

Here are the numbers I got,

Collapse -
I hope u can send my complaint too...
by Hecnliz / January 31, 2012 12:32 PM PST

I to have a Samsung dlp tv model hl56a650c1f.. Two weeks ago a single whit dot now there are 12..I have read many forum site and a lot of unsatisfied customers. In my research have found out that it is a bad Dmd chip that causes this malfunction. I called the 800# and was transferred to the executive customer relations... Nothing executive about them as their only response was that my model has not yet been deemed as a recall they would replace. they gave me the number of a repair service and they quoted 650 bucks to fix. This is rediculous as they used the same Dmd chip in the recalled one as they did the one I purchased. My ticket number was 5102825731. If this doesn't get resolved I foresee myself taking them to small claims as this is an issue in all the dlp models with the Dmd chip....Liza.

Collapse -
white pixelation
by naveedavee / September 5, 2012 1:40 AM PDT

I have also recently had white pixelation occuring on my Samsung model HL61A750A1FXZA S/N AKWL3CKQ201734H unit bought just over 3 years ago. I have done the research and realize the extended warranty expired in May 2012, and Samsung has been helpful in setting up a service call, but my concern is that this will cost almost as much, if not as much, as a new TV. My transaction/ticket number is 2114771155, and I also have a service order number of 4116137530. Warranties are all well and good, but the consumer surely should not expect to have to buy a new television set every 3 years because of expired warranties.

Collapse -
white pixelation
by naveedavee / September 5, 2012 3:42 PM PDT

I have also recently had white pixelation occuring on my Samsung model HL61A750A1FXZA S/N AKWL3CKQ201734H unit bought just over 3 years ago. I have done the research and realize the extended warranty expired in May 2012, and Samsung has been helpful in setting up a service call, but my concern is that this will cost almost as much, if not as much, as a new TV. My transaction/ticket number is 2114771155, and I also have a service order number of 4116137530. Warranties are all well and good, but the consumer surely should not expect to have to buy a new television set every 3 years because of expired warranties.

Collapse -
This old discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2012 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: white pixelation

Is now pretty old. Post again in a new discussion all your own as the process changes over time.

Collapse -
White Dots On HL-S6187W
by SamsungDefective / January 30, 2012 11:27 PM PST

I have the same problem! I'm getting white dots all over the screen and from what I've read this is a VERY common problem and some people are getting it fixed. I called Samsung and one person said they'd fix it but as I got transered around that offer was taken back Sad They are telling me that though they are fixing it on some it is normal wear and tear on mine. How is that possible?! You spend thousands on a product and it is already garbage. I will never buy another Samsung product again!

Collapse -
Same answer from Samsung
by roreru / January 31, 2012 3:22 AM PST

Yeah...., they told me it was wear and tear too. which does not make sense because my TV has been very lightly used all the time. I suppose if Samsung get alot of complaints for my model, then they may change to defective as they did with other model posted in CNET. This is really unbelievable, I have an Aquos HDTV twice older that my Samsung, which I use more often and it is good as the first day.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 3:26 AM PST

That Ti device is failing in other makes too. It's no consolation but it looks like all these will be failing regardless of the set's maker.

Collapse -
Some name brands use the same DLP chip
by roreru / January 31, 2012 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just so you know.

Indeed, Some DLP Models from Samsung, Toshiba and Mitsubishi use the same DLP chip which is causing the white spots.

Collapse -
You'll find them in projectors too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 4:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Today 2/8 on CBS News - Report on white spots in DLP TVs
by roreru / February 9, 2012 10:27 AM PST

The snow ball is just growing, and growing....., there is a lot of complaints on the consumer market about big screen junk HDTV with white spots. So, it is today's on the News on CBS at 11 pm. This issue is becoming the "Toyota Problem" for Samsung, and other HDTV manufactures.

Collapse -
Maybe my experience w/Samsung so far could help?

Here's the chat log I had today with them - notice how non-committal they are!!!!!

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'James'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640793189X
James: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Hi James, how are you today?
Visitor: My name is BN
Visitor: I'm chatting with you in hopes you can resolve my issue.
James: Hello BN. I am good. Thanks for asking.
Visitor: Starting about 3 months ago, my DLP TV started getting little white spots here and there....
Visitor: And now, it looks like the night sky - dots all over the place.
Visitor: So, I searched the internet....
Visitor: And found that you folks have a fix for it....
James: I understand that your TV has white dots on the screen. Is that correct?
Visitor: So, I'd like you to send someone out and fix it please.
Visitor: There are probably about 200 dots now...
James: Thanks for confirming.
Visitor: Here's the info on the TV:
James: Could you provide me with the complete model number of the TV?
Visitor: Model Code: HLT5676SX/XAA, Serial#: AHDZ3CMP901460D, Version: PH01, LampCode: BP96-01795A (P132W)....is that enough?
James: Thank you for information. Yes, it is enough.
James: Does this happen on all inputs (like DVD and cable box)?
Visitor: Yes, I see the dots in the same position and count when using it with my Panasonic Blue Ray player, my XBox-360, and my DirectTV satelite dish input, and with my Windows Media Center connetcion.
James: Thank you for the confirmation.
James: Do you see the same issue on the TV menu too?
Visitor: Yes, when I go into the menu or options screens on any of my remotes, I still see the dots the same way...of course, on a background content that is closer to bright/white, it is hard to see the dots because they are blending in with the background - but on dark scene background, the dots look like a bunch of stars in the night sky.
James: Thank you for the confirmation.
James: If your unit exhibits white dots appearing on the screen on all sources and channels, Samsung will provide a onetime courtesy repair to replace the DMD chip, with this part only being free of charge. You will be responsible for the service center's trip charge, the cost of any labor performed, and the cost of any repair not related to the DMD chip. Do you consent to these conditions?
James:
Visitor: And, if you don't already have my account up, the TV is only about 3 years old.
James: I am sorry for the inconvenience.
Visitor: Uh....so far I'll say thank you for replacing the chip at no cost, but what about the installation charges....I've read many many posts on the internet where Samsung paid for that as well....for a 3 yr old TV with this as a common class action problem, I would think Samsun would want to retain EXCELLENT customers like me by doing the right thing and taking care of the defect in their system. I have a HIGH REGARD for Samsung products, having bought them for all my children, our house, and recommend to my friends. I would NOT consider having to pay for the repair SERVICE at my expense a positive situation. So, as you have done for so many other customers, I'd suggest you pay for the labor,etc. regarding this repair.
Visitor: Of course, if there are other problems, those that I have cause, I would certainly pay for those myself.
Visitor: BTW: Are you familiar with the xxx Department Store?
James: Do you consent to above said conditions?
Visitor: I'm not sure if I told you my name: BN
Visitor: Please read the material I just send, and send me your response.
James: Our free of charge accommodation program has ended but as a courtesy to our customers, we are offering to still cover a portion of the cost for this particular repair.
Visitor: What was the purpose of that program?
James: All affected units were manufactured 4-6 years ago. Our engineers have determined that after a certain amount of use, parts may fail and need to be replaced, but it is a function of normal wear and tear and not an inherent defect.
Visitor: Ok, so it was a defect that you discovered in your product, what did customers have to pay for under that program?
James: I'm sorry; we at live chat do not have information about service and cost details. Once you file a service request, you can get the information from the service center as the cost can only be determined after a physical examination by a service technician.
Visitor: Oh, I'm sorry, my question may have not been clear....here it is described better: Typically, what did Samsung pay for and what did the customer pay for.....I'm not asking the $ amount, I'm just asking for the category of expense paid by Samsung and the category of expense paid by the customer.
James: The Samsung will provide the onetime courtesy repair to replace the DMD chip.
James: You will be responsible for the service center's trip charge, the cost of any labor performed, and the cost of any repair not related to the DMD chip.
Visitor: So, that means that under the "free of charge accomodation program" Samsung paid for the expense of the materials and the labor to replace that DMP chip, but, of course, did not pay for any other issues being fixed at the same time - is that correct?
James: Yes, you are correct.
Visitor: When did that program end?
James: I am sorry; we at live do not have the information.
Visitor: Then, that means you can still apply to program to me - correct?
James: We at live chat do not have information.
James: I am sorry for the inconvenience. we do not have any information.
Visitor: What are the costs that you DO know of, pertaining to the service trip to fix the DMP chip?
James: I am sorry; we do not have the information regarding the cost and service details.
Visitor: Could yo please contact someone and get me that information - I need it to decide whether to purchase a new TV, or just fix this one.
James: May I know the ZIP code of your area?
Visitor: 94501
James: Thank you for the information.
Visitor: You are welcome!
James: Please contact your nearest service center at Tekniton, 4031 Clipper Ct Fremont, CA 94538 714-529-5902 or 714-529-6423.
James: Please contact at 714-529-5902 or 714-529-6423 to get the information.
Visitor: BTW: I just checked the internet, it looks like your program ended only within about the last month.
Visitor: So James, can I get your ID# (for reference) when I call the service center, so that they know you have approved this service for me?
James: I am sorry; we at live chat do not have the information.
Visitor: What information? You don't have your ID# (anonymous)?
James: I am sorry; you can provide the chat ID for further reference.
Visitor: Oh, so they can look it up and determine by the Chat ID that you have approved this repair?
James: I am sorry; please contact at the service center to get the service and cost details.
James: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: Well, James....I already understand that information with you....I'm now asking this: Can the service center just look up via the Chat ID and determine that you have approved this repair?
Visitor: And, yes....you are still assisting me....
James: Do you consent to above said conditions?
Visitor: I agree that Samsung should be repairing this part - yes. So, I agree that Samsung should stand the cost of the repair - yes. I have yet to understand how MUCH MONEY the labor will cost, so I can NOT consent to an arbitrary dollar amount charge. So that is what I consent to.
Visitor: Is there other information that I need from you in order to have this approved and completed (besides me calling the service center for an appointment)?
James: I am sorry; the free of repair is only with the defective part which is DMD chip.
Visitor: Yes, I understand that.
Visitor: Is there other information that I need from you in order to have this approved and completed (besides me calling the service center for an appointment)?
James: I am sorry; we do not have any other information.
Visitor: So, do you agree that I now have all the information I need in order to contact the service center, and have them repair this defect, according to the conditions we discussed? Or is there something else that you need to tell me, because that something is required in order to finish this process?
James: You will be responsible for the service center's trip charge, the cost of any labor performed, and the cost of any repair not related to the DMD chip.
Visitor: So, do you agree that I now have all the information I need in order to contact the service center, and have them repair this defect, according to the conditions we discussed?
James: Please contact the service center for cost and service charge details.
Visitor: James, please just answer my question directly, and simply with a (Yes) or (No).:
Visitor: So, do you agree that I now have all the information I need in order to contact the service center, and have them repair this defect, according to the conditions we discussed?
James: Yes, please contact the service center.
Visitor: Ok, thank you for agreeing that I now have all the information I need in order to contact the service center, and have them repair this defect, according to the conditions we discussed?
Visitor: Is there anything else we need to discuss from your side?
James: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: Is there anything else we need to discuss from your side?
James: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.
James: You can contact to the service center to get your TV serviced.
Visitor: Ok, thank you for your time james, my last point of discussion on this tread is.....
Visitor: Since I have been a very good customer of Samsung for MANY years, and I have given recommendations on your products for MANY YEARS, I will post my experience on the internet so everyone can see how Samsung services their BEST CUSTOMERS. That way, all potential customers can use that information to decide whether or not Samsung provides reasonable support for their product. And I WILL DETERMINE whether or not I will buy Samsung products again. Quite frankly, I believe it is POOR SERVICE to not provide ALL LABOR necessary to fix YOUR OWN PRODUCT DEFECT - especially for a product that is supposed to last many enjoyable years, but experiences this SIGNIFICANT DEFECT in such a short time.
James: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
James: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Visitor: No, that's it for now....thank you....goodbye.
James: You're welcome.
James: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue "X close" button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter andYouTube.
Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

Collapse -
Samsung Chat Follow up
by roreru / March 12, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

So, Samsung agreed to pay for the DMD chip and the customer will be responsible for any other charge concerning the repair.......

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.