Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung DLP has audio issues

by dmatth027 / November 22, 2008 3:40 AM PST

I own a Samsung DLP (model HLS5065WX/XAA). The picture is fine, but the audio does not. In fact, there is no sound. The only device connected to the TV is a cable box. I am looking for some advice. Please help with the issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP has audio issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP has audio issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 22, 2008 8:15 AM PST

I'm sorry, but with this limited amount of information, I have to start from the bottom. Have you checked your connections and made sure that either the television or cable box isn't on "mute"?

Collapse -
Samsung DLP audio not worling
by dmatth027 / November 23, 2008 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: Connections...

I have checked the cable connections and ensured that the box is properly connected to the TV. I have also checked the volume controls for both the cable box and TV and confirmed that they are not on "mute."

Collapse -
HDMI Vs. Audio...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 24, 2008 4:19 AM PST

Did you hook up the cable box via HDMI, or RBG component? How is sound supposed to be getting from your cable box to your television?

Collapse -
Samsung DLP audio not worling
by dmatth027 / November 26, 2008 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI Vs. Audio...

The cable box is connected to the TV via coaxial cable and RBG component.

Collapse -
Different source?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 26, 2008 6:02 AM PST

Are you able to get audio using a different source? I know you stated that you only have the cable box hooked up to the television, however, I was wondering if you were able to get sound from another point.

Perhaps the cable box's audio is fried, or perhaps the television isn't receiving a signal. You might try swapping out boxes (if you have another one) to see if that might fix the issue.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP audio issues
by dmatth027 / November 27, 2008 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Different source?

I connected a DVD player to the TV via S-type coaxial cable and composite cables. The TV displays the images from the DVD movie, but does not produce any sound whatsoever.

Collapse -
Sounds like no sound whatsoever...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 27, 2008 12:07 PM PST

It sounds like you're not getting sound out of any of the inputs.

I would definitely recommend calling our service center to see if a telephone representative can assist you in getting your audio to work. The number is 800-SAMSUNG.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Collapse -
Sound problem
by burnsiOH / June 21, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

You may have already tried this by now but i have a Samsung DLP and i was having the same problem. So i turned off the tv for about 10 minutes and turned it back on and the volume returned.

Collapse -
samsung dlp audio issues
by artbutty / January 28, 2011 7:27 AM PST
In reply to: Sound problem

i am so glad i found this. exact same issues and we left tv off for 10 min and it started working again! phew... i knew dlp has issues but we were worried we were gonna have to buy another tv!

Collapse -
Sound problem
by closeups / May 1, 2012 10:36 AM PDT

I ran into same problem with HLS5086WX/XAA.

It started with static sound once in a while. The frequency Static sound got worst, like fire crackers. All of a sudden pin-drop silence. No Voice... nada.

This TV had a 'White Spot' problem that was fixed by Samsung. I thought, I am good for rest of the TV life. Not knowing life of TV is that short. Only reason I bought Samsung is because one of my relative has samsung-DLP and that still works (lucked-out... may be!!).

I will try for 'wait 10 min' suggestion. See what happens.

Any suggestion from Samsung will be useful.

Collapse -
sound problem
by closeups / May 2, 2012 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound problem

10 min wait works but static comes back and sound go way again.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.