Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung DLP crackling/static noise

by esbm_alf / May 5, 2010 1:56 AM PDT

It started out making noise for only 30 secs or so but now the noise lasts for 45 minutes until it mostly goes away. Once in a while the volume will disappear completely also. This happens w/satellite, dvd, games...everything. I emailed Samsung and they gave me the typical "call a repair center". I would like to try to figure this out first before I spend $100 for them to tell me there is nothing they can do or if it is really worth the repair. Please help, its getting really annoying!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung DLP crackling/static noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung DLP crackling/static noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung DLP crackling/static noise
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 5, 2010 11:08 AM PDT

I don't have any recommendations for that symptom. I would have recommended having the unit inspected as well.

Collapse -
6" Samsung DLP
by fatrat1978 / January 2, 2015 12:02 PM PST

My 60"Dlp has the same issue what can I do fix it?

Collapse -
Samsung dlp sound issue
by Marrinhas / June 8, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

Hi. My Sammy dlp has been going through the same audio issue and it's getting progressively worst. After calling samsung and telling them about it they immediately got my info down for a tech to come out but I am yet to hear from them.
What was the solution to fixing the sound issue. I imagine some sort of board needs to be replaced. Please help of you can.

Collapse -
Sound issue
by esbm_alf / June 29, 2010 5:21 AM PDT

Joe...what did you find out?

We have yet to fix ours and is really starting to get bad. The crackling decreases after an hour but the more movement on the screen the more crackling there is. Really getting annoying.

Collapse -
Sound issue
by Marrinhas / June 29, 2010 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound issue

Well they contacted me and a tech came out. He never saw the issue before and didn't know what to do. Even after I told him that it's definatly the set, he began trying to put blame on the video source. (I wasn't home. I was working. I talked to him on the phone before he came out and after giving him a description yet again of the issue he said he would call me with any issues or concerns). Without getting into too much detail, he made a phone call without even opening up the set and reiterated what I had already told them on the phone as well as what I told him. 2 minutes later, he tells my wife that he would need to replace one board on my set with two boards. I don't know why he never called me. He said Samsung would call me with a quote. This cost me $55. I wish I made that kind of living. The quote for the boards were $900 With Labor minus the-$55. I want my $55 back.

I work with electronics and many engineers and am hoping I can find away to fix it myself. I imagine it might be some sort of diode or resistor/capacitor. I'm dealing with it now and have little time to dedicate to it.

My suggestion is you'll probably need to replace it. If you do, buy something of comparable size dirt cheap around $600-800. And in another year or two get a 3rd generation 3D set.
Samsung service sucks and I don't know if I would go with them again. Good luck. And if you have better luck, let me know.

Collapse -
by esbm_alf / June 30, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound issue part goes bad and you are better off replacing the whole set, ridiculous! Once in a while our sound goes out and the crackling stops. Is there any way to just disconnect the audio and use are amp? That would solve our problem, for now at least.

Collapse -
Sound issue
by Marrinhas / June 30, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: sound

To answer your question on is it possible to disconnect the sound to get rid of the crackling. The answer is yes though I haven't opened up my set yet. But it would be very simple and can be reversed if necessary.
You would need to disconnect the speakers or cut them if they are a direct link (soldered). Or unsolder them if you're comfortable enough. If you do cut any wire, be sure to avoid doing that the end the cable (ex. Right at the speaker) because unless you know how to solder, it might present more difficulty reattaching them.
Just proceed with caution and be careful whenever you deal with electronics.
Now to reiterate, I don't know what the set looks like inside. My advice is simply speculation on how things may look and what I would do to do a dirty modification. Hopes this helps and makes some sence.

Collapse -
Crackling noise on Samsung DLP
by jrbozz / September 13, 2010 1:40 PM PDT

I turned off the SRS (Surround sound) and the noises stopped. Cheaper than replacing components for $900.

Collapse -
Different Issue
by Marrinhas / September 13, 2010 8:17 PM PDT

There is no SRS to turn off. There exists a Virtual Surround which has no effect on this crackling sound whatsoever.
The crackling sounds that exists takes the place of all sound inputs. Even volume control has no effect on increasing nor decreasing this crackling neusance.
Apparently, the audio processor is overwhelmed by the source of this issue which is why no sound source can bleed through.
If you think I am wrong, please clarify. I'd love to solve this before opening up and ordering parts, which I don't plan on doing for a while.

Collapse -
same isssue on Samsung dlp
by alexw3 / November 2, 2010 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Different Issue

I have the identical crackling issue on my tv. very irritating. I did take the bottom back cover off to try and disconnect the speakers. Can't see them or the wires connecting them as they are in the front and it's a bit busy inside the set. Need block diagram/schematic of where everything is before I go in again. Will be watching this thread for any inputs or revelations.

Collapse -
samsung static noise from speakers
by rjfifer / November 9, 2010 7:31 AM PST

i have a fried that has a samsung tv and it has static from speakers..they were told that it could be cooling fan motor..or projection cooling motor..aprox cost of parts 100

Collapse -
Cracking noise on samsund DLP
by bassman2092 / December 15, 2010 9:37 AM PST

I've just shut off the SRS and the cracking noise seems to have gone away. Looks like your on to something here. I'm starting to think that samsung

Collapse -
Speaker fix
by jhpkmr / July 31, 2011 5:39 PM PDT

I had the same crackling issue everyone else seems to have. I even had my speakers on internal mute as I was using a sound system. I finally disconected the TV speakers and that solved the problem. I am not a technician and it was real easy although this will not solve your problem if you need the TV speakers for your sound. Here is how I did it: Unplugged the TV/ Removed the lower back panel of the TV/ On my TV, the speaker wires came into the mother board area on the left side of the TV (Looking at the back)/ They are a red/black and yellow/black set of wires / Followed them to the mother board / Removed the single plug from the mother board by squeezing the plug and pulling it out!!!!!!That's all it took but it will only work if you have it hooked up to another sound system.

Collapse -
cackling on dlp hls4676
by traveler110 / March 18, 2011 4:52 PM PDT

I started getting this cackling sound about a week ago. First the sound went out and we started hearing the cackling. Disconnected all audio connections and we are using the theater system for audio. TV was put on mute, but it continued. I had replaced the bulb about 3 weeks ago successfully and don't think that had anything to do with this. Unplugged the TV from the set and replugged it back in. Plugged into a different outlet jack. Went to the tv programming by hitting mute+1+8+2+power while set was off. Then did a reset, both types listed. Since the second reset I have not heard the cackling. Don't know if that was the problem or solution, so far so good, but only 30 minutes. Normally I hear it by now. By the way, TV is only 2 years old and first had problems with the DLP, had to be replaced twice due to small dots on the tv, fortunately under warranty, but still have large white spots on the screen. The the bulb went out, normal, and now this. Samsung has been little help and Circuit City went out of business. I will not buy another Samsung product. This TV has been the most unreliable tv I have ever bought.

Collapse -
Samsung DLP HD Slim TV Crackling Sound
by MPerry0407 / December 7, 2011 9:17 PM PST

Hey Traveler10,

Man I just wanted to say thank you for your post. I have a Samsung 50 DLP Slim TV that was making that terrible crackling sound as well. As a matter of fact my DMD chip went out earlier this year and I just had it replaced yesterday. I finally called Samsung last Thursday about the problem and they replaced the DMD chip at no charge yesterday. Very good turn around time and very prompt as well. It took the technician all of 10 minutes to replace the chip.

I took your advice with the Mute+1+8+2+Power while the TV was in off mode. Low and behold it worked perfect. I modified a few settings in the systems menu relative to the sound and have had no problems yet. Everything is in perfect working condition now with a fantastic picture and sound.

Thanks for your suggestion as it's not always the most logical solutions that are the answers. This was definitely out of the box and it worked. Thanks for sharing your ideas it saved me a boat load of money!

Collapse -
It worked!!
by caljacknc / January 18, 2012 3:17 AM PST

Traveler10 - you're a God-send!! For over a year, my TV (DLP 46") has been making the crackling sound, then all sound disappears. I've been looking to purchase a new TV for about 6 months. I saw this post and decided to try the Mute+1+8+2+Power (I knew about this before, but didn't think it would make a difference). As the poster said above, I did this about 2-3 times, but didnt understand all the codes, so I did a factory reset. TV sound has been on for about 30 minutes - no problems!!

Collapse -
?? do you still have tv
by mk3girl / July 20, 2012 2:20 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked!!

hi,so like many others i am also haveing this problem (i also had the problem with the white dots but sumsung replaced the chip so thats good know) but my speakers started cracling and now they dont work after about 10 min. i have tried the reset but i dont know what im doing can some one tell me where do i go once i push mute,1,8,2 power then i get lost Happy

also i do not have the money nor the time to get the tv fixed so how can i set a home theater/suround sound in the set to watch tv???because i know i can push mute and the speakers stop but how do i get the sound while watching cable out of the suround sound

Collapse -
Sound Cracking on Samsung TV's SOLUTION
by SDRNYC / August 12, 2012 4:18 AM PDT

Hey Everyone,
Samsung Plasma 51" 3D HD TV

Depending on how you are using your TV, there seems to be an issue with the HDMI settings on your TV. When I connect my Mac Book Pro via HDMI, I get cracks and pops from the TV. This did not happen with my XBOX 360, and I'm guessing it's a different audio source/bit rate.

1. First I connected my computer to HDMI/DVI Port.
2. I pressed Source and highlighted the HDMI/DVI port but DO NOT CLICK ON IT. Just highlight it.
3. Press Tools (on your remote) > Edit/Rename
4. Select DVIPC

The audio stopped crackling. I was getting this problem because the TV does not know how to decode the signal coming from my MBPro. Now I have no problems with crackling.

I hope this works !!!!

Collapse -
by Hgastelum / August 7, 2012 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: It worked!!

How did you do a factory reset? I can't figure out the codes....HELP..

Collapse -
by Hgastelum / August 7, 2012 5:22 AM PDT

Ok... I want to try this, but don't see the reset option. Is it coded? Thx!

Collapse -
Re: Reset
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 8, 2012 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Traveler110

I'd be happy to help. What's the complete model code for this device so that I can give you factory reset instructions?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by esbm_alf / August 8, 2012 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Reset

I've tried some solutions and non have worked. Could you give me reset directions for model code HLT 565/sx1xaa please. We have a surround sound set up so we do have volume but there is still the annoying static noise. Would really like to find a way to get rid of that! Thanks!

Collapse -
i could never reset mine
by mk3girl / August 8, 2012 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: reset

i never ended up reset-ing mine i just bought a sound bar and hooked my cable box as hdmi and it works great,i just go into the menu and turn the internal speakers off and no sound comes out of the tv speakers at all,(i did have a problem when i was useing the tv with the cable wire so thats why i went hdmi)((but for some reason every time i turn the tv on i have to go back in the menu and re-turn off the internal speakers))
good luck everyone i hope you get to use your tv ((but the re-set thing did not work for me i re set it a million times,so i gave up and got hdmi cable box and a sound bar,sounds just as good as the speakers)

Collapse -
Re: reset
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 9, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: reset
Collapse -
by lyrg822 / April 6, 2013 6:09 AM PDT

For those who still have this television, try this. The speakers are likely located on the front of the tv. Open up the tv (all you should need is a phillips screwdriver), unplug the speakers (bottom of the front of the screen), and you're good to go. Use a soundbar or some other external audio system for your sound. (Make sure to turn "on" internal mute for the external audio to work). You're welcome in advance.

Collapse -
Was crackling noise reported to Samsung?
by jagash / July 13, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

I am now having the same problem with my Samsung DLP TV. I called Samsung and was told by the Executive customer Relations Manager, Calvin, that this issue has NEVER been reported to Samsung before. I find that hard to believe. Did you ever report the crackling nosie and what did Samsung do to correct the issue, if anything at all?

Collapse -
Is it new or in warranty?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 2:49 AM PDT

If it's out of warranty which is my bet you'll likely be told to arrange for service but my advice is to get an estimate first.

PS. This thread is more than 1165 days old. If you want a direct reply my advice is to never bury such in old long discussions.

Collapse -
out of warranty
by jagash / July 13, 2013 5:10 AM PDT

Yes, the TV is out of warranty. I am actually trying to get confirmation that others have reported this issue to Samsung. They keep insisting that my call is the first time that they have heard about this issue which is a blatant lie. So I am reaching out to others that have posted this type of issue, current reports and old reports, to determine if you ever reported to Samsung. Based on what I am reading, this just may be another defect in the Samsung DLP TVs. If you ever reported to Samsung, please let me know. Thanks!

Collapse -
No debate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: out of warranty

It's true that there is a failure here but then you tread into a debatable area. That is, no debate that folk have reported failures. That's a given.

But here's where there's not much to debate over. There's a lot of products out there with limited warranties such as 1 year and you are seeing folk wanting much more than that.

I was a bit surprised that HP walked out on their warranty so they pay the price when anyone asks me about their products (yup, my last HP.)

But here we see failures aplenty in year 4 and on since from what I can tell these are 5 year designs. One of the most common parts had a 5 year life span and from all I can see the life span reduction is all about cost reduction. Without moving to a 5 year life span the product costs would soar and a maker would no longer be around.

It's a very interesting area to discuss.

Collapse -
solid state lifetime
by tbc343 / December 7, 2013 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: No debate.

I was taught (too many years ago) solid state stuff ususally destroyed itself shortly after you turn it on or else it lasts forever. I don't understand Samsung. After a rough start in America, they spent big bucks to get a pretty solid reputation for consumer stuff. Many swear by their consumer stuff. What is written in this forum is no secret to them. They monitor such things. These sputtering TVs must abound. Yet Samsung sits back and plays the innocent role.
The issue develops spontaeniously; that is it comes about with age, not because we are screwing with initial setups. Why don't they save their reputation and just respond, right here!?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.