Samsung forum

Alert

Samsung Blu Ray BD-F5900 wireless problem

by pepe_vasquez / June 11, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

I just bought this blu-ray player at best buy and have found a problem connecting to my wireless router, the problem is that even though the player was seeing both bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) and it was initially connecting to either band after I entered the password, it was disconnecting from the router after about 10 seconds.

My router is a Linksys EA4500 N900, all the configuration is the default one, meaning nothing advanced was added or changed in the configuration. ALL other artifacts in my house (laptops, PCs, tablets, phones, even an old Samsung Bluray player) connect just fine and keep connected to the router, so it is safe to say that this is an issue with the new blu-ray player.

The default configuration for both bands in my router is:
Network Mode: Mixed
Security Mode: WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal
Channel Width: Auto
Channel: Auto

Now I started playing with these 4 settings on the 5GHz band to see if the Blu ray finally keeps connected and found out that the player ONLY keeps connected to the router if the Network Mode is set to "Wireless-A Only", which forces the Channel Width to "20 MHz Only"

I have tried all sort of combinations and the player just disconnects from the router after about 10-20 seconds it connects. Only "Wireless-A Only" keeps it connected.

Now, I forgot to mention that before I bought this player, I bought a Samsung Blu Ray BD-F7500 and had the same issue, so I returned it and got this one instead.

Does anyone had the same issue?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Blu Ray BD-F5900 wireless problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Blu Ray BD-F5900 wireless problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Similar problem with lnksys EA3500
by shall11672 / June 12, 2013 4:16 PM PDT

BD-5900 is connected on boot, but looses wireless connection after a short time. Rebooting player reconnects, but connection is lost soon after.

I'm going to try your network mode suggestion. I'll update if I discover anything.

Samsung. Test your $%!#!

Collapse -
Don't you mean "break your stuff"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

The supplied link tells us the following.

"The root cause of this issue is that TL-WR702N didn't change the Target MAC Address in the ARP protocol field when forwarding the ARP packets, it leads to the Samsung TV turning down the ARP packets forwarded, hence Samsung TV has no IP&MAC table and no Internet."

So you want Samsung to break their network stack to accommodate bad router code?
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung BD-F5900 wireless AND wired problem
by chrisncak / December 1, 2013 1:18 PM PST

Pepe,

Hi... I too have been living a total nightmare with my blu ray. It work short term for 2 weeks. Since then, shotty WIRED connection at best.

I have the N900; ditched my Telephony Technicolor modem rented from comcast after replacing it twice did not seem to fix the problem. After 4 months, had a tech come out to the house and tell me that those modems were not dependable. Got an Arris TM722 that allowed my Blu Ray device to work for all off 1/2 a day with a wired connection to an Amped Wireless repeater for the 3rd level of my house. THEN, the power went out for about 5 minutes to the entire house. Everything is working to connect wirelessly to the system BUT the Blu Ray.

Called Comcast Signature support back and they said, they had no idea, contact Samsung. Tried rebooting modem and powering down multiple times but no change. The device is seeing the router/modem but says it not allowed access to the internet.

Does anybody know how to resolve this recurrent problem of the device ??

Sooooo so frustrated in Seattle,
Chrisncak

Collapse -
There are other issues beyond the issue I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2013 11:27 PM PST

Did you try the usual DNS change?

I'm going to stop here because with all the folk, service calls and such, I want to know if this came up.
Bob

Collapse -
Useful details
by indianfoodyummy / April 20, 2014 10:58 AM PDT

Recently got BD-F5900 for Mother & Mother-in-law (MIL).
MIL system would connect to WAP/Broadband router provided by Cable company.
However, indicated no Internet access.
Today, I tested a lot of options, and I confirmed the following:
802.11n Advanced configuration MUSTS:
1) 20 Mhz bandwidth only...no auto 20/40 Mhz! (Clue above was right, AND SIGNIFICANT...thanks!)

2) Set Modulation and Coding Scheme (MCS) to "Legacy" (if available -- fortunately, was on MIL WAP, fortunately)
So, what does "Legacy" mean? Internet search says:
In Legacy mode, the <fill in the blank> is automatically decided by the data rate.
In High Throughput or Greenfield or "Auto" mode, the <fill in the blank> is automatically decided by the MCS index.
To me, this means that the 802.11n implementation of the BD-F5900 requires modulation to be determined by the data rate negotiated between the WAP and the blu-ray, and not an index number (integer communicated between WAP and blu-ray player during wifi setup)
THIS IS THE OTHER SIGNIFICANT CLUE...

3) Frame Burst didn't seem to work too well, but to be fair, that may have been because in the MIL config, we are supporting b/g/n devices and modes. It could be that some devices did, and some did not support this that was a problem in her situation, but may not apply in all situations.

There's a lot of neighborhood Wifi congestion at my MIL's...so even with these settings now allowing Internet connectivity, certain apps buffered a lot...I may still want to just get a $20 WAP and put it in Wifi to Wired Ethernet bridge mode and connect a wire into the BD-F5900...might be less trouble.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.