Samsung forum

Question

Samsung Blu-Ray BD E5400

by alleycat5 / March 27, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

We recently bought this blu ray player and have been watching netlix for about 2 and a half months and now we can't connect. The message reads "Due to WIFI policies, cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11 mode. I have no idea how to fix this, I do know its nothing to do with my internet provider as all other devices in the home work!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Blu-Ray BD E5400
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Blu-Ray BD E5400
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung Blu-Ray BD E5400
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 28, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

Hi Alleycat5,

Sorry to hear about any problems you've been having. Did you recently change any settings on your WiFi access point? I ask because this is an error that I recall being given when a person is trying to use an extremely long key with WEP encryption.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Not streaming Netflix
by alleycat5 / March 28, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

I'm not sure as I'm unfamiliar with how this works. We did go back and re did the setup, the same message comes up as well as one that says unable to connect to outside source call your provider. But as i said all other devices connect to the internet no problem, and we can view netflix through the wii. The tv is also brand new and its a samsung. Hope you can help me:)

Collapse -
Re: Not streaming Netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 28, 2013 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not streaming Netflix

Hi Alleycat5,

OK, how about you step me through when this started: I got the impression that it had been working, but then it stopped working. Perhaps, I read into what you're saying. Was your Blu-ray not giving this error from the start?

HD Tech

Collapse -
not streaming netflix
by alleycat5 / March 31, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

You are correct that is was working. We bought it in December and it worked up until approximately 3 weeks ago. It will still play DVD's but won't connect to the internet.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2013 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: not streaming netflix

Hi Alleycat5,

The point I was trying to get at that this error would seem to indicate some kind of unsupported network encryption. Did you change any settings on your wireless access points about 3 weeks ago?

HD Tech

Collapse -
not streaming
by alleycat5 / April 2, 2013 11:15 AM PDT

No

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2013 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: not streaming
Collapse -
not streaming
by alleycat5 / April 5, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

Thank you this has helped....:)

Collapse -
same problem
by llemes / August 18, 2013 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: not streaming

Hi,
I have the same problem as alleycat5, however, I've tried the hard reboot and the problem persists. Could you help me?

Collapse -
Re: same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 20, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Hi llemes,

I'm sorry to hear about this. What's your complete model code? Is it also the BD-E5400? When did the problem start? Out of the box or at some later point?

HD Tech

Collapse -
same problem
by llemes / August 20, 2013 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: same problem

Yes, it is BD-E5400. The problem started some weeks ago. I've already used YouTube and Netflix, but right now when I try to use this kind of applications it says "It is not possible to conect the internet". It is funny, because when I do the connection testing on settings, the device says that conection is fine. I've already tried to change Wifi security settings, by changing to WAP, WAP2, WEP, no security at all, but it remains with the same message. Sad

Collapse -
Re: same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 20, 2013 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Hi llemes,

Thanks for verifying that. Could you please change the DNS server in your network settings on the player to 8.8.8.8?

HD Tech

Collapse -
BD E5400 - Netflix & Hard Reset Issue
by Aycee9721 / August 20, 2013 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: same problem

Samsung_HD_Tech,

I'm having a similar issue with my BD E5400. 1-2 weeks after I purchased the product, the streaming worked fine. After that, whenever I try to stream something on Netflix, it constantly buffers and at times completely freezes - forcing me to restart or shut down my blu-ray player. I have a wireless router connected to my internet modem. I've tried shutting down all other devices that share the same wifi signal (iPhone, Laptop) and even tried placing my wifi router directly next to my blu-ray player. No luck.

I've also tried performing the hard reset (holding down the "stop" button for 8 seconds from the main menu) that you had suggested to other members for this forum, but that didn't do anything.

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Re: BD E5400 - Netflix & Hard Reset Issue -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 21, 2013 4:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bad Info: 8 second STOP Button
by TRUTHSAYER_15 / November 21, 2013 7:14 AM PST

The Samsung manual says to hold down the STOP button for 8 seconds to perform a hard (factory) reset. This button is located in the circle on top of the player . .the square icon-button. The goal here is to get the black screen for the player's setup routine. My first attempt failed; I held this button down for over a minute, but nothing happened.

My fix was to unplug the DVD player for a few seconds, then restore power AND quickly hold down the STOP button. After about a minute, the black setup screen appeared.
From this point, press the Enter button on your remote until you get to the setup screen that asks for the type of wireless connection. The two options are "Wireless" and "WPS (PBC)". Scroll right and select the latter. . that is,"WPS (PBC)".

After you press Enter on your remote to select "WPS (PBC)", you'll have 120 seconds to find and press the WPS button on your WiFi router. Hopefully, your router has this button on its rear or side. Press it. . . the router's apps should now auto-connect your DVD player to your WiFi router. Be aware you'll have to go through the sign-in routine again to get services, such as Netflix.

Collapse -
same problem
by llemes / August 23, 2013 7:13 AM PDT

Changing the DNS number worked. Thanks a lot for your support.

Collapse -
Troubles viewing on my TV
by aronnn8 / October 8, 2013 8:56 AM PDT

Hi, I bought my Samsung BD-E5400 blu-ray player about 7 or 8 months ago. I hadn't used it at first, but about 3 to 4 months ago I started using it. It worked fine and then about a month ago now it stopped working. Well, the unit itself works fine. Whenever I try to view it on my TV though, it turns on and the beginning "Samsung" picture shows, and then the screen turns off like the device isn't turned on at all and says, "No Signal. Press INPUT on your remote control, then select the device you want to view. Make sure the device is turned on!" I did select the device I want to view and the device is turned on while it says this. I can't hard reset it either because I can't view the home page, or anything at all. This is really frustrating and I just want to use my device again! Is there anything I can do to resolve this issue? Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Troubles viewing on my TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 9, 2013 12:36 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.