Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Samsung BD-P3600 reboot

by 8string / December 24, 2012 12:42 AM PST

My p3600 identifies a wireless connection that I do not have and I cannot figure out how to get it to see the wireless router signal I DO have. The wireless signal comes from a Verizon FIOS router that has a 16 character wpa2 key and an 8 character wps pin. I have never gotten the player to hook up to any wireless system so detailed steps would help. Thanks!

8string has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-P3600 reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-P3600 reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by 8string

Collapse -
Sorry but the steps change with the setups.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 1:01 AM PST
Collapse -
how will I know?
by 8string / December 24, 2012 3:48 AM PST

I don't know how I would know whether the Samsung can use the Verizon Router. Where do I find that information?
The unit is less than 20' from the router. My XBox 360 has no trouble with the connectivity.

Collapse -
This is where those folk that setup networks step in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: how will I know?

I do that a lot but I see I offered a few things to check and you can't do that. This means you call in those that help you set this up.

It was not funny last week that a friend was having similar issues but after years they were still calling in help. The bill for that is the not funny part. The service they used would lock the router down to only the devices they were asked to install. Any new device required a call to their support to add a new device.

I can't tell from your post that such is going on. You have to reveal if you set it all up, added "MAC filters" and more.

Collapse -
still wondering
by 8string / December 24, 2012 6:25 AM PST

The reply was no help.
When I go into the network setup mode the network the samsung sees is not my network. I cannot clear that network and I cannot get the samsung to find my network.

Getting back to an earlier section of this thread, how do I find/know if the router signal can be recognized by the samsung?

How do I clear EVERYTHING that is currently entered into the unit so that I can start again? That seems to be the best path forward. I can't set anything up until I get rid of what the unit currently has in its memory, right?

Collapse -
It is no help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2012 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: still wondering

Sorry but if you can't tell me what WiFi channel your router is on, I can't check off a common issue.

I fear that volunteer help or the many tips I placed in the CNET Networking forum will remain unhelpful until you can supply some information such as that wifi channel.

Sorry, I don't suggest a reset. Some of those verizon routers have settings that you may not know about and a reset is not a good idea.

It appears you need someone that can guess better than me or a person on the premises that set it up.

Collapse -
Let's try again
by 8string / December 26, 2012 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: It is no help.

The access point that appears on the screen is incorrect (it has the name of a former router - not my current one). Can that be changed?

I have entered the address, subnet mask, default gateway and dhcp server address.
I have a physical MAC address but cannot find a place to enter it. Can that be done?

Collapse -
Look in the player's manual for the reset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Let's try again

Since there's nothing we want in the player, look for the player's reset as it seems to have the old router stuck there. On some it's the press and hold the FF button. Check the manual. Then follow the setup as if it was new.

Remember that I can't find answers to my questions and I agree that maybe the system the industry went with is not consumer friendly enough. That is, who wants to be a network engineer?

Collapse -
reset worked!
by 8string / December 27, 2012 11:52 AM PST

The reset cleared all the fields so that's good news.
The router wifi channel is 11. That answers that question.
The samsung recognizes no connectivity point. It sits 10 feet from the wireless router.
I can find no way to enter the mac id - which I have.
Can't tell if I'm making progress.

Collapse -
OK, 11 is good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2012 12:18 PM PST
In reply to: reset worked!

It's inside both US and other country capabilities. There can be issues with the SSID name. Some folk go around telling others to set it to HIDDEN but this only results in more support calls. Good for tech support, bad for consumer pockets.

Is the SSID hidden?

I can't find the router model so I can't supply a link to the manual and page number but you don't want a FA@N!CY SSID. Keep it simple.

Collapse -
Got it!
by 8string / December 28, 2012 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: OK, 11 is good.

OMG! It was a mess. Here are the things I have done to get hooked up.
1. Reset the Samsung DVD by holding down the fast forward.
2. Reset the router.
3. Added a dongle (usb male to usb female) so that the antenna for the samsung is outside of cabinetry.
4. Samsung now finds several ESSIDs to choose from.
5. Select the correct ESSID
6. Samsung then offers 4 options for encryption (from open to WPA2....).
7. Chose the WPA2.... (the last one on the list) and then entered the 16 digit key found on the back of the router and voila! It connected.

The first thing it then wants to do is update the firmware so let that happen. It takes ~20 minutes.

Anyway - thanks for sticking with me through all of this.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the report!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: Got it!
Collapse -
On second glance...
by 8string / December 28, 2012 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for the report!

Dag nabit. The samsung immediately decided it needed to upgrade its firmware and when it finished all the settings were gone. I had to start over. And, it no longer accepts the password protocol. If I had it to do over again, I would not accept the firmware update. Oh, well.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.