Samsung forum

Rant

samsung bd-p1600 new July 5, 2012 firmware upgrade problem

by martyreeus / July 10, 2012 10:57 AM PDT

I just want to make you all aware of a firmware upgrade for the samsung bluray model bd-p1600 that came out last july 5,2012. I caution everyone NOT to upgrade to it. I learned the hard way. After I installed the firmware upgrade, the my player cannot play DVDs nor Blu-ray discs. After spending an hour of my time with 3 different samsung reps, they are not doing anything for me. They want to charge me $120 for the repair, which I believe is ridiculous seeing that there are blu-ray players that cost less than that and are up to date on the current technology. I just want to again caution everyone to not install the firmware and to stay away from any samsung players. I have been a Samsung guy from LED TV's to solid state hard drives even my mobile phone is a Samsung, and yet they can't fix the problem which was caused by their firmware update anyway. They have lost my business with this kind of service so, farewell Samsung, I cannot do business with this company anymore. Take care everyone and hope this helps.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung bd-p1600 new July 5, 2012 firmware upgrade problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung bd-p1600 new July 5, 2012 firmware upgrade problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Firmware Problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 11, 2012 12:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm having the same problem
by seanazul / July 14, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Firmware Problem

I just tried to do an update and got the same problem. I also tried to do an update via USB and then tried resetting the machine. The update bricked my perfectly fine bluray player. Thanks, Samsung.

Also - the link you provided above include a button to request service, but the button is broken.

Sean

Collapse -
Re: I'm having the same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 16, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
similar problem
by cybercat32 / July 25, 2012 4:20 AM PDT

I'm having a problem with the new firmware as well up here in Canada.
Won't play Inception or Johnny English Reborn but will play the original Batman disc that came with the machine (these are Bluray). The player is out of warranty and given the choice between paying for service and awaiting a new firmware upgrade, I've opted to buy a new player Might have better luck with another major brand.. I'll keep the Samsung in case a firmware fix is released or I get the patience to look at the file .

Collapse -
completely switching off the player and then starting fixed
by rajserc / July 26, 2012 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: similar problem

Had a chat with samsung support, they asked to restart the player completely.

Unplugging and waiting for few seconds then reconnected fixed my issue.

They suggested to make sure not disc is present and then press FF (in the player not in remote) for more that 8 seconds will reset it seems, but i did not have to go thru this.

After the new upgrade, not seeing Block Buster (A) option anymore.

Collapse -
didn't work for me
by cybercat32 / July 26, 2012 10:52 PM PDT

I have tried resetting by holding the FF button on the remote the display said RESET but it seems only the date, time, language was reset. Tried pulling the plug and left it unplugged for one hour and twenty minutes - still no luck. Tried various permutations of this - nope. Had symptoms that varied from slow to no response to remote to lock up in various modes to where it is now - won't play most disks - seems to lock up at various points in the load cycle, oscillates between LOAD and PLAY on many, can't roll back the firmware, says there is a problem with the file when I attempt to load the newest version again.
I installed my new machine of another major brand last evening in under 15 minutes - hardest part was routing the power cord to the outlet without pulling the whole stand out from the wall. Updates and setup were among the easiest I've ever had and any disk I tried worked without hiccups. Even the online content use was uneventful. For $119 for the new unit it's not worth the ongoing problems I had with the Samsung in the less than three years that I've owned it. The interaction with their customer service rep was among the worst I have EVER had. I currently work in customer service after forty years on a tech bench and in management positions in various branches of the consumer/broadcast/industrial electronics and computer industry including teaching for a while.
I have a "special place" for this particular piece of equipment!

- Bill H.

Collapse -
samsung firmware problems
by tgraham5 / July 31, 2012 11:23 AM PDT

Unfortunatly I also updated with the same firmware. Lost ability to play blu rays on my BD-P4600. Machine won't reset either. Goes straight to language menu when i hold down FF button. Is there anyway to get older firmware versions? Tried using samsung support....useless....tried facebook page support.....useless.

Collapse -
Re: firmware problems
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 1, 2012 12:25 AM PDT

tgraham5,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. This sounds like it may need servicing since it won't play Blu-ray discs. Here's the thread where you can get details on setting that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

I realize you said you already tried FB, but you can also try Twitter for service. Or if you just want to do it all yourself, you can complete a service request here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/request

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Firmware Problems
by tgraham5 / August 1, 2012 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: firmware problems

What I need is a new firmware version and for Samsung to tell me when that will be available and if that will fix this issue. This unit played blu rays up until the minute I did the upgrade. The blu ray lens has already been cleaned.

Thanks

Collapse -
The button on that web page is still busted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2012 11:38 AM PDT

Just reporting it.

Collapse -
What Button?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 1, 2012 12:18 AM PDT

Bob,

Pardon me, but what button is broken? I tried the FB support form button, and that worked just fine. Is it something on the Samsung site?

HD Tech

Collapse -
The service request button on this page.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: What Button?
Collapse -
Re: Service Request Button
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 1, 2012 1:11 AM PDT

Bob,

I see that now. I appreciate you pointing that out. I've reported that to the appropriate person, and it should be taken care of shortly. Here's the direct link to service requests: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/request

Thanks,
HD Tech

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2012 1:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Horrible customer service
by bryanrk / October 20, 2012 10:27 AM PDT

Performed the firmware update today, sadly before I saw this site. Player no longer plays any blu-ray! First Samsung rep told me I would have to pay $80 for an out of warranty repair. Three hours later a supervisor called and the price suddenly became $110. Didn't realize they charged extra for the privilege of talking to a supervisor you can barely understand. I understand the no warranty issue but how can they ask consumers to pay to fix something that was caused by an upgrade THE MANUFACTURER recommends?!? I have been a huge supporter of Samsung up to this point, but rest assured this is the last of my hard money that will go to them if this is how they take care of their customers. Low cost item or not, there is always another company that will value my patronage.

Collapse -
Re: samsung bd-p1600 new July 5, 2012 firmware upgrade probl
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2012 1:32 AM PDT

Hi martyreeus,

I apologize for your experience thus far. If you could post your transaction #, I'd like to see if we can investigate this issue for you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Same thing happened to me...
by A_Yogasingam / January 15, 2013 5:16 AM PST

I had the BDP-1600 with zero issues for close to over a year. I started having issues with newer Blu-Ray titles like 21 Jump Street and The Avengers and customer service indicated to upgrade the firmware to the latest version on site (2.21). The end result was a bricked system, numerous calls to customer service (all of which, each time, I was promised a prompt call back that never happened and then I was hit with "well, if you want this fixed, YOU will have to pay to ship it to us and it will cost $110."

The player still plays DVDs but refuses to read Blu-Ray discs. Let it be known that I will NEVER buy another Samsung product again because of the terrible customer service. In what world should I have to pay for damage caused by YOUR firmware upgrade?!? I work for our company's IT group. I cancelled an order of 200 Samsung handsets due to this disgusting exchange with Samsung.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by Frustrated_dad / January 13, 2013 3:19 AM PST

I bought my daughter the Godfather Trilogy for Xmas (Blue Ray). . It runs and loads fine a a fine on a friends Samsung 1600 with v1.1. . .It will not work on v.2.22. . I have updated it via the net and via usb; I have unplugged it; I have reset it; I disconnected the ether chord; I have change all kinds of "wierd" setting based on posts telling me they worked for the them. . .Blu Ray plays DVDs just fine.. . What the heck is going on; This does not appear to be a problem with my player. . .this is either (a) a problmem with the firmware, or a problem with how these machines are "loading" the firmware. . .eitherway this should not be the cosumers problem if it's this much of an issue.. ..

Anyone "updating" and having it "work"????

Collapse -
When titles fail. Report them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

BluRay uses a copy protection system that in my opinion is too onerous and consumer unfriendly. No matter what BD player I've seen, at one point or another a title fails.

Report the bad title so they know to fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
titles? ALL Blue ray Titles !
by cybercat32 / January 13, 2013 11:31 PM PST

Reporting one title may result in a fix - for THAT TITLE. This failure seems to be for just about ANYTHING BLUE RAY - after the upgrade. I've switched to a totally different brand of player and will NOT even consider Samsung product in future. I have had poor customer service experiences with this player and with other Samsung product, notably TV's and displays both at home and at work. I purchased a new machine by another major manufacturer for about the claimed cost of repair for this one.
Sorry Samsung... it will take a major shift in your approach to things (customer service) over the long term to win this customer back.

- Bill H..

Collapse -
EXACTLY!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 1:39 AM PST

And since a studio can dream up another copy protection this is a tread mill where title by title can get a new copy protection.

There appears to be no notification system in the industry to tell in advance "Hey we have this new copy protection you need to support."

BluRay in the long term is going to upset a lot of folk.
Bob

Collapse -
clarification
by cybercat32 / January 14, 2013 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: EXACTLY!!!

I am not against protection of "intellectual property" - copyrights, patents, trademarks,etc.

But when I PURCHASE a legitimate issue of an item from a legitimate supplier I have a reasonable expectation of use of that item to the full extent allowable.

I do not blame the movie industry for my movie not playing.

I DO find fault with a company that has very poor customer service and support for its product in this day and age.

WAKE UP SAMSUNG !!!

There is a lot of competition out there in the marketplace.

Customers WILL vote with their dollars.

- Bill H.

Collapse -
My view is a bit wider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

As I see this issue on all makes, I would change that to "This industry needs to wake up."

For now the system is like this. You report failing titles and unless this is costing the stores sales and worse "returns" there is not going to be a fix for this one.

Mostly because I see the issues across the line without any maker being any better save one, I don't buy a lot of BluRay titles. I may rent it and if it fails get a refund.
Bob

Collapse -
back to basics
by cybercat32 / January 15, 2013 11:28 PM PST

Regardless of the "right" or "wrong" of the BluRay copy protection, the issue at hand is the failure of equipment after installation of a manufacturer supplied firmware upgrade and their handling of the matter.

I'm fairly certain that this sort of thing probably happens with other companies' product, related to the need to update based upon the copy protection scheme, but the handling of the equipment failure by the company, the horrendously poor customer service/relations is at issue in this case.

My expectation would be to allow firmware rollback at the very least (a firmware design issue) to return the client to their previous state.

- Bill H.

Collapse -
Rollback. Sad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: back to basics

Now in that issue the design of the Samsung products apparently do not allow to roll back to a prior version.

You can bet this is a "design choice" by some one. If you feel this is a warranty issue or maybe a product defect, use that as the basis for your return of the product and look for an unit that fits your need.
Bob

Collapse -
what I did...
by cybercat32 / January 16, 2013 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Rollback. Sad news.

You will be gald to know, from reading my previous postings on this issue, that I DID find a much more suitable product - and it is NOT a Samsung product !

It's a bit late to return the unsatisfactory product........

- Bill H.

Collapse -
I Just Dont Get IT
by Frustrated_dad / January 17, 2013 8:40 AM PST

Really all I want to do it get the these God Father Blu Ray discs to play. Samsung did contact me with "We need your serial number (which mean crawling on my belly like a snake and trying to read a number no 46 year old man can read in dim light). I can also tell they are heading me down a path of "you need to have it serviced". . . why? do do what.

Another thing that is "killing me" is why if the music indutries keeps adding "more piratacy" protections do "older/rollback firmware" work. .

I really wonder if the machines are not property updating the software... .but if that's the case. . .why does "changing" the software to an olderversion work. . .I don't care what the warrenty says; it totally the WRONG customer approach.. . what kills me is they they all of the players seem to have the same issues. "Logtically" I'm struggling to understand how older software lets you play something with a "newer" encryption. . .

Collapse -
roll back
by cybercat32 / January 17, 2013 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: I Just Dont Get IT

It seems there is no capability to roll back the firmware version. If there were, the machine would still not play the newest releases, but would at least allow playing things it could play prior to the attempted upgrade. Since there is no roll back capability, ALL (or most) BluRay playing capability is lost.

The firmware upgrade messes up the machine. Plain and simple. There is apparently no way to roll back the firmware version.

Yes, Samsung has the "wrong" customer approach. But they already have your money for the player you purchased.

Surprisingly, I don't think there have been any "class action" legal procedings in this matter.

Vote with your dollars - buy a machine from a competing company.

- Bill H.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.