Samsung forum

Question

Samsung BD-E5900/ZA 3D WiFi Blu-ray Won't Load Hulu

by michsineath / November 27, 2012 5:56 PM PST

Brand new just out of the box Samsung BD-E5900/ZA 3D WiFi Blu-ray player will not load the Hulu Plus application.

When I click on the application icon from the SmartHub screen, the screen says "Connecting" for a long time and then times out.

When I browse through the Samsung Apps page to the Hulu application and click "Run", the screen turns black and the screen says "Connecting" for a long time. To exit from the "Connecting" screen, I have to select the "Home" button. Of note, the system won't allow me to uninstall and reinstall the Hulu application without resetting the entire system. I found this odd.

I contacted CS (Regina), who seemed like she wanted nothing more than to get off the phone with me. Her advice: Contact Hulu.

Hulu works fine on all of my other devices in the house. All other applications work fine on the device, including Netflix, YouTube, etc. Hulu seems to be the only issue.

I have completed a SmartHub reset and a Hard reset.

Please note, this is all within my first hour of owning the machine. If I cannot get the Hulu application to work, I will likely return it.

As a Samsung fan, I'm hoping for a solution.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-E5900/ZA 3D WiFi Blu-ray Won't Load Hulu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-E5900/ZA 3D WiFi Blu-ray Won't Load Hulu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung BD-E5900/ZA 3D WiFi Blu-ray Won't Load Hulu
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2012 12:10 AM PST

Hi michsineath,

I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We are currently looking into this issue and will advise shortly. However, if you could please provide us with the information of your model, I'll very happily forward that along to product testing. Please provide the following:

Smart Hub Version
Unique ID
Web Browser Version
Serial Number
When the issue started
Memory Usage

As the Unique ID and Serial Numbers are sensitive pieces of data, you'll likely want to send this information to us on one of our social media channels. You can find information about how to contact us here: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: Now the Web Browser says "Connecting" constantly
by michsineath / November 28, 2012 5:33 AM PST

Please add "Web Browser" not working to the list. Like the Hulu app, it too says "Connecting" until I hit the "Home" button to exit.

I have gathered the information requested above and will send via Facebook application per your request.

Thank you.

Collapse -
I'm experiencing the same problems
by mriess1 / November 29, 2012 12:08 PM PST

I just bought two of the Samsung BD-E5900's over the weekend and both have the same problem described above with Hulu Plus. Works fine with netflix and pandora. Running version 1.084 of SmartHub. Please tell me there is hope!

Collapse -
Given the spat of posts about app issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 2:17 PM PST

My advice is for everyone to call in and ask if Samsung is working on their servers again.

Collapse -
The Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray doesn't have this problem...
by michsineath / November 29, 2012 6:52 PM PST

We bought two - the Samsung and the Sony BDP-S590 3D Blu-ray. The Sony works great with no issues. I'm now considering returning the device for another Sony. I'm hopeful that Samsung will respond. I'm an all-time Samsung fan (phones, TVs, etc.).

IMHO, there should be zero issues with these applications out of the box. And especially considering Samsung uses these applications to help sell their products. Fingers crossed.

Collapse -
I'd like to add something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 12:48 AM PST

Since the apps are not all from Samsung it may be impossible for Samsung to stand behind all the apps.

It's like a Dell Windows PC with third party apps. Sometimes that didn't work either.

This is a new system where folk are only now figuring out what came from whom and it may get messy.
Bob

Collapse -
Dear HD Tech, Samsung has not responded -- Is this normal?
by michsineath / November 29, 2012 6:46 PM PST

I did as you requested and entered all information via the Facebook application, and I have not heard back from anyone. Is this normal?

Please advise.
Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Dear HD Tech, Samsung has not responded -- Is this norma
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 30, 2012 12:33 AM PST

Hi michsineath,

That's actually very surprising. We normally have a turnaround of just a few hours. Try it again, and ask for me "HD Tech from CNET". I'll grab your email; be sure you mention your handle as well.

HD Tech

Collapse -
(NT) Second request submitted to your attention. Hope someone see
by michsineath / November 30, 2012 7:45 AM PST
Collapse -
3D wifi player won't launch Hulu
by Linden88 / December 1, 2012 1:27 AM PST

I have a brand new Samsung blu ray player. It advertised that I could use it for Hulu which was the major factor for purchasing it. Other applications like Netflix work well but Hulu will not load or launch.

Samsung phone customer services did not help at all. "Call Hulu" is neither a solution nor an option. Anyone see a number for Hulu?

If there is not a fix for this posted in 48 hours, I'll simply return this device and get a Roku.

Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2012 1:30 AM PST

Hulu, that is "Hulu.com" does not work on devices. Hulu has been working hard to block that.

They want us to use the Hulu Plus app. It's a small difference we need to be clear about.

Hulu.com doesn't work on my roku either. Be sure you test this before you buy.
Bob

Collapse -
I am talking about the Hulu Plus app...
by michsineath / December 2, 2012 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just one thing.

It's a standard app on the Blu-ray device. That means it comes pre-installed. It doesn't work. This is the issue.

Collapse -
UPDATE: 5 days and no movement on my tech support request
by michsineath / December 2, 2012 1:37 AM PST

I received one email asking for a firmware # -- I replied and haven't heard back since.

What's the purpose of this forum, the Facebook app? What happened to customer service?

Collapse -
I was just at the Samsung site and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 1:41 AM PST

There's a notice there about them working on servers. The help here is off on weekends so tell me if the 1800SAMSUNG in the USA is working or not too.

Again, these apps are sometimes not from Samsung and it's going to be very interesting to see how consumers react to apps that can't be fixed by the device maker.

Oh, we already have something like that with Dell, laptops and Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
1800SAMSUNG told me to call Hulu...
by michsineath / December 2, 2012 2:53 AM PST

The Hulu Plus application works fine on older Samsung bluray models (I have one), and tens of other devices on the market (iphone, ipad, Roku, Sony bluray, etc.). And it's not just HuluPlus I'm complaining about, it's the Web Browser as well.

The issue I have is Samsung uses these applications (Huluplus, etc.) to advertise their SmartHub service on their bluray players to get you to buy it. If the applications don't work, I would rather them just say so and save me the hassel of returning it, and going with a competitor.

Granted, Honesty in advertising may be a lot to ask for, but good customer service is not. The fact that I've been shuffled from CNET forum to Facebook app to gmail, has turned me off from Samsung products in general.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 3:49 AM PST

And other makers are following the same system where apps are not from the maker. It's very possible to break an app on just one model. Unless folk call it in, or return units the message is not received by the maker of app or product.

Given the new system, changing maker only buys into another maker and does not ensure the same/similar issue won't reoccur.

I hope this little dialog helps you see what's going on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.