Samsung

General discussion

Samsung BD-C6500T "cannot support the TKIP security type"

by wwabvhd-23895688053075882570112791609502 / January 18, 2011 6:10 AM PST

I purchased my BD player in December and was able to connect to the Internet, upgrade the firmware and access NetFlix. Just the other day I was unable to get online to do any of the above. The message from the BD was "Due to a change of a WiFi policy cannot support the TIP security type in 802.11n mode. In that case check a security setting on the access point."

A phone call to Samsung support was singularly unhelpful and suggests that now begins the finger pointing between my ISP, the router manufacturer, and Samsung. Before I chuck it all out the window I'm wondering if anyone has come across this and how they fared.

System info:
Samsung BD Player BD-C6500T
D-Link Router DIR-628
Windows 7
Norton Internet Security 2011

(I add the last two because on my Windows 7 laptop I can view all devices on my wireless network via the Network Security Map in Norton. On my PC (wired to the internet) running the same software I cannot see the BD player. The computer that "sees" the BD Player shows a physical address but no IP address. I'm hoping that Norton somehow isn't the culprit - then I'll have to deal with more finger pointing)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-C6500T "cannot support the TKIP security type"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-C6500T "cannot support the TKIP security type"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6900
by GSid / January 21, 2011 1:48 AM PST

Purchase the 6900 this week - tried to hook up to my network got the exact same error - phoned Samsung they says it's my router that's the problem, but all my other devices are fine ie. Laptop, Wii and iPhone!

Due to change in WIFI policy cannot support the TKIP security type in 802.11n mode. In that case check a security on the Access Point.

Does anyone know the answer please?

In anticipatio - thanks
Sid

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2011 2:44 PM PST

wwabvhd,

Sorry to hear about both problems in this thread.

From what information I was able to gather this week, my understanding is that WEP encryption will no longer support encryption keys over 25 characters. If you want to use an encryption key over 25 characters, you must use WPA on your network. If that's pertains to either of you, try changing that to see if that helps. I'll post more information as it becomes available.

Usually (but not always!) the ISP isn't the issue, but settings on certain routers, at least in my experience, seem to be the issue at hand. Since it worked before, it's likely that it can work again.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
cannot support the tkip

My router is WPA and my encryption key (security key?) is 10 characters.

I reset the BD player to factory settings and went through the wireless setup from scratch. It worked fine until I powered the BD off and then on after which I was unable to reconnect due to "network interference." A few minutes later, after performing the Network Test (which was successful) everything seems to be working properly. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough after turning it back on, this BD seems slow to respond.

I don't feel the problem has been resolved and I have a concern that performance may continue to be spotty however so far so good . . .

Collapse -
:)
by my-tech / January 22, 2011 3:12 AM PST

I believe my ps3 will not connect with the same error unless you use the lower WPA encryption and it has to be 9 or under charecters.

Collapse -
TKIP security type in 802.11n mode
by dac57 / December 1, 2011 1:04 AM PST

I read the posts which appear to give a solution to this issue but I cannot find where to make this change on the Network Settings. We have had issue with this for months, which has virtually made many of the features of our Samsung non existent. If the network is already setup, how can I access the screen to make the change suggested to WPA2PSK? Everything worked fine on our connection when we first got the player, but then it would come in and out and now we can't connect at all!

Collapse -
TKIP SECURITY MESSAGE
by terry107 / June 19, 2011 6:27 AM PDT

I expereinced this problem yesterday on my BDc5500 blue ray. Tried a number of things but finnally got everything to work by going to the SysteM INITIAL Setup menu (NOT the network settings)
In the initial settings you will have to choose the language and what type of settings (WIFI) and reenter your routers security code.

Collapse -
worked
by bradktbrown / July 2, 2011 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: TKIP SECURITY MESSAGE

Thank you!! I have been fighting with this issue for months and I finally read your post and that was my issue! Thank you Happy

Collapse -
THANKS!
by lejanes / July 11, 2011 3:27 AM PDT

Went from frustration to eureka in 1 minute! Thanks!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by maryk28 / August 22, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I cannot believe how long I was trying to fix this and how much I searched only to have this small step be the problem! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

Collapse -
TKIP Security - Start at beginning
by zeusdog1 / September 10, 2011 8:48 AM PDT
Happy Basically I have again been reminded to follow the instructions from the beginning. I jumped right into the network config and got the same errors. Thanks so much for your post. Now I am waiting for +Internet to load. Hmmm wonder how to update firmware as everyone has suggested. Best to you -- off to find a netflix movie.
Collapse -
tkip security
by jerseycity_nj / April 26, 2012 4:46 AM PDT

I tried everything and still nothing is working I even changed my wifi settings to wpa/tkip evn though it suggested I shouldn't I what you did Terry and still no connection.. Very frustrated, if it's not broken why change things? Samsung is not help at all...

Collapse -
We cover some of this in the Cnet Network forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2012 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: tkip security

But some folk do not want to try what may work. They want makers to support their selection of security and well, I wonder if they should forget about these makers and try to find makers that support what they want?

For example we know that hiding the SSID causes many systems to drop connections so we have little choice on that but to swap devices or change the setting.

Same for the TKIP or AES support. I find AES to be OK on WPA2 but imagine the owner that won't do that?
Bob

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 26, 2012 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: tkip security

jerseycity_nj,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm actually unsure what your problem is precisely. It seems like you said you tried what terry107 suggested above. If you didn't quite follow his explanation, you can find details here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=4170&prd_ia_cd=N0000071&map_seq=20833

Go to steps 4 & 5 for the relevant details on where you should find your wifi network and where you can enter the security key for your network.

However, it was unclear if your BD player had been working. Can you clarify that for me please?

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, reply back please, and I'll walk you through some other possibilities.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung cannot support my wifi
by jerseycity_nj / April 27, 2012 7:25 AM PDT

HD Tech,

I googled the error message i am getting on my Samsung, and this forum came up and it seems like many people are having the same problems as I am.

I noticed after I updated the TV I can't get on Netflixs, Pandora, or internet. I reset my wifi settings again Samsung 70000 and the error message read TKIP Security type 802.11n mode cannot be supported, I changed my wifi name and security code to letters no numbers b/c as I am setting it up it will not allow me to enter numbers. please let me know if you understand my problem.

Thank You

Jersey City NJ

Collapse -
7000 Series?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2012 11:32 PM PDT

jerseycity_nj,

So I didn't know this wasn't the same model. You said your Blu-ray player is a Samsung 7000 series. Could you let me know specifically which model please? (e.g., BD-D7000)

Thanks,
HD Tech

Collapse -
TKIP Security type 802.11n mode cannot be supported
by jerseycity_nj / April 30, 2012 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 7000 Series?

Thanks,

My LED TV is a Series 7000 un40c7000wf and my blue-ray is BD-C6900, I worked on all my settings, I even changed wifi name and password, not sure what I am missing? I followed all the steps you recommended and I still get the same message and I can't get on netflix or pandora. My wifi is a netgear n600 dual band router wndr3400.

Thank you for taking the time out in trying to help me...

Jersey City NJ

Collapse -
Sorry for the re-verification
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 1, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

Jersey City NJ,

Thanks for all that additional information. It occurred to me that I never asked you if you had checked to see if you had the most recent firmware for both devices. So let me give you direct links for both instructions and the actual firmware for each product you mentioned, just so we can have that covered.

TV Firmware Upgrade
Instructions: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201009/20100902084910156/2010_Firmware_Upgrade_Instruction_for_LED_TV_T-VALAUSC.pdf
Firmware: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=2986948&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=null&ModelName=null&VPath=FM/201102/20110221143208295/T-VALAUSC.exe

Blu-ray Firmware Upgrade
Instructions:http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201003/20100313185320203/USB_Upgrade_Eng.pdf
Firmware: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=2883761&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=null&ModelName=null&VPath=FM/201203/20120326163702279/BSP-C6900WWB-1024.1.zip

Once you're done either upgrading the firmware or verifying you have the most recent firmware, try it again. And if it still doesn't work, let me know which product you're trying to connect to the network with.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
TKIP Security type 802.11n mode cannot be supported
by jerseycity_nj / May 1, 2012 5:12 AM PDT

-- HD Tech

I should of Mentioned I have a Mac not a pc, The links you forward me are for a pc computer....

Thanks
J.C

Collapse -
Firmware messiness
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 1, 2012 5:41 AM PDT

JC,

Unfortunately, that's the only way for the firmware to come, because they just need to be extracted and then installed. So do you have bootcamp or parallels that you could extract it on?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
TKIP security type 802.11
by jerseycity_nj / May 4, 2012 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware messiness

No I do not, I am trying to look into this. This has become just an inconvenience I am not sure who I should be upset at, Samsung? or Wifi I am not very tech savvy but with your help I am sure we will resolve the issue, I am looking into bootcamp or parallels now will keep you informated..

Thank You again

Jersey city

Collapse -
Hrm....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2012 3:55 AM PDT

JC,

Sorry that this is becoming such a hassle. How about you just borrow a friend's Windows computer? The download will take less than a minute on a fast connection. And then you can do the extraction from there.

Keep me posted. Happy

-- HD tech

Collapse -
TKIP security type 802.11
by jerseycity_nj / May 7, 2012 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Hrm....

I also want to add, all of my apps from my TV were deleted not sure why or how this happen.

Thanks
Jersey city

Collapse -
TKIP security type 802.11n mode
by jerseycity_nj / May 7, 2012 2:48 AM PDT

Hello I upgraded my TV and the blue ray would not allow me to upgrade maybe b/c I could not unzip file? but currently the blue-ray is running BSP-C6900WWB-1024.1 system
After I did the upgrade on the TV I still can not get on the Internet the message reads I am not connected to my access point, check settings which I have.. Not sure what else I need to do.. very frustrating

Thank You

Jersey City

Collapse -
TKIP security message
by marathonman50 / January 16, 2013 8:45 AM PST

I tried what you suggested but still got the same message. I have a BD-E5400. Anyone else with suggestions?

Collapse -
Yes. Go with AES for those round.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 9:27 AM PST
In reply to: TKIP security message
Collapse -
Set To This

The Security Settings for wireless N must be Set to WPA2-PSK

Collapse -
Working
by ghosh_rajk / September 19, 2011 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Set To This

@Mr Shaun Warburton : Thanks for your solution. This one really worked for me.
Now my player has started detecting the wifi automatically with every startup. Previously my setting was WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK
Please let me know what was the issue and why this solution is working. I am very interested to know.
Thanks

Collapse -
This guy got it right
by goblue55 / March 17, 2012 2:55 PM PDT

TKIP SECURITY MESSAGE

by terry107 - 6/19/11 1:27 PM

In Reply to: Samsung BD-C6500T "cannot support the TKIP security type" by wwabvhd

I expereinced this problem yesterday on my BDc5500 blue ray. Tried a number of things but finnally got everything to work by going to the SysteM INITIAL Setup menu (NOT the network settings)
In the initial settings you will have to choose the language and what type of settings (WIFI) and reenter your routers security code.

Collapse -
Back to the basics still no internet on samsung bd-c6500t

Hello I did everything you told me to do and I still can not access internet nor do I have all my apps on TV

I upgraded my TV and the blue ray but currently the blue-ray is running BSP-C6900WWB-1024.1 system
After I did the upgrade on the TV I still can not get on the Internet the message reads I am not connected to my access point, check settings which I have.. Not sure what else I need to do.. very frustrating

I also want to add, all of my apps from my TV were deleted not sure why or how this happen.

Thank You
Jersey City

Collapse -
Is there a reason you must use TKIP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 2:22 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.