Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-C6500 locks up

by norcalff / April 13, 2011 1:48 PM PDT

Just purchased a new Samsung Blu-ray DVD player BD-C6500 and am having issues. When a DVD is loaded into the machine it plays for 15 seconds or so and then locks up before getting to the menu. If the DVD is ejected and immediately reloaded it then works fine. It does this EVERY time. How do I make this stop? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-C6500 locks up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-C6500 locks up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same thing happens to mine
by jlk77 / May 8, 2011 5:28 AM PDT

I would love to know if anyone finds a solution. My firmware is up to date.

Collapse -
My Samsung BD-C6500 also locks up!!!
by Devildog1983 / May 31, 2011 3:22 AM PDT

What the heck is going on? This issue is documented everywhere by new users, why can't Samsung get a fix for this?

My brand new BD-C6500 Blu-ray player is p*ssing me off, both STD DVD's & Blu-ray movies lock up randomly when playing. It could happen an hour into the movie or 3 min in... it is very random. Everything else I've tried works great...Netflix, Pandora. I wish I tested the player BEFORE the software update (via wireless OTA). I am so tired of powering down and rebooting this thing... it's the only way it will work again as all functions lock up. It is definitely buggy firmware or software.

I find no way to reinstall the software from a thumb drive, It sees I have the current update and will not reinstall it again. I currently have software version 1021.4 installed.

Is there a way to revert back to the previous software version or make it reinstall the current version again?

This may just go back to Amazon.
Too bad, I really was excited about my first Blu-ray... Samsung may have just lost me for good.

Anyone have any ideas or fixes, I'm listening. Thank you!

Collapse -
My Samsung BD-C6500 also locks up!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2011 6:42 AM PDT

Collapse -
there is a big thread...
by sk528 / May 31, 2011 1:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
there is a big thread...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2011 5:54 PM PDT

Collapse -
BD-C6500 freezes constantly
by Petuliki95 / July 8, 2011 11:27 AM PDT

This problem has been going on since I purchased the machine. Spent hours on the phone with 1-800- SAMSUNG, they suggested that I buy new HDMI cables ($50 spent). Problem is still so bad that I can't watch a DVD or Netflix. Very, very frustrating.

Collapse -
BD-C6500 freezes constantly
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 8, 2011 12:53 PM PDT

Collapse -
Samsung Blue-ray Freezes
by jdstanhop / December 9, 2011 1:04 PM PST

I have had a similar issue for the last year with the Samsung BD C6500 Blue-ray player. It randomly freezes on occasion playing a DVD or Blue-ray disk. It usually freezes at the start but sometimes right in the middle. You have to power the player off and on a few times before it works. We tried to have Best Buy take it back or fix it but the problem is so intermittent that we could not reproduce it in the store.

Collapse -
This may not be good news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 Freezes/Locks up
by danieldefasson / May 30, 2012 4:59 AM PDT

In the midst of playing DVDs, usually after the trailers, the unit freezes up. Sometimes I am able to get the Menu button to work but often it does not and i have to re-insert the disk. I have attempted to fix this issue with Samsung Support (which is worthless and do not call you back). Any ideas?

Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 lock ups
by Sierra_Brandi / July 5, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

I have had my player for a couple of years now and it has given me the same problem from time to time including tonight, i had to purchase a standard DVD copy of the movie i was watching so i could finish watching it, it kept freezing at chapter 13 and refused to play any more of it, and i powerd it down several times and ejected several times as well and still wouldnt go past chapter 13, so bought a nomal dvd of the movie to finish watching it.
this seems to be a problem thats hapend to allot of people, so why hasnt Samsung come up with a fix.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 12:51 PM PDT

Posting such in a forum is fine but unless folk call in the bugs in such titles Samsung has no reports that there is something to fix.

In the USA the number is 1800SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Info Needed for Such a Report
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2012 12:12 AM PDT

Bob's right. In order for us to be able help you more properly, we need to know specific info.

Movie Title: ???
Player / Model Affected: BD-C6500
Firmware Version: 1025.1 Jan.17.2012 (I assume it's the most recent; double check)
What is the exact problem with the film: ???
Where in the disc is this happening: [Ex: Loading Screen, Menus or special features, Playback (where in playback?)]
How many copies have been tried: ???
Network Connection Type to Device: ???

HD Tech

Collapse -
Player locks up
by norcalff / July 6, 2012 9:20 AM PDT

Movie Title: Every one I try

Player/Model Affected/ Firmware: BSP-C6500WWB-1025.1

Exact problem: Play stops during security message and will only start again if the disc is ejected and immediately reloaded.

How many copies have been tried? Same thing happens with every DVD

Network Connection type to Device: WiFi

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm close to throwing the player in the garbage and starting over with a non-Samsung player. Disappointed because I'm a loyal Samsung user- all of my TVs are Samsung.

Collapse -
Thanks for that info
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 9, 2012 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Player locks up

But specifically which movie were you having problems with?

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Specific movie
by norcalff / July 9, 2012 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that info

HD Tech,

Literally ANY movie I try to play exhibits the same issue.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Specific movie

You wrote that above but in my dealings I learned to go ahead and list a few titles. They often ask if you tried another copy. I know some don't want to deal with tech folk but give them the answers they are asking for to move the discussion along easier.

Collapse -
by norcalff / July 9, 2012 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a tip.

I don't mean to be difficult but am I supposed to list every DVD I've ever watched on the player?

It doesn't matter what DVD I try, the result is the same:

Load DVD > DVD plays for 10-15 seconds > DVD freezes on a security screen > Eject DVD > Immediately reload DVD > DVD starts over but now is able to get to the menu and can be played... EVERY TIME.

Collapse -
It's just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

After dealing with tech support for years I shared a tip. You can ignore it.

Collapse -
No specific movie
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 10, 2012 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Specific movie
Collapse -
by Abrucks / July 9, 2012 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that info

I also have an issues with freezes on my bdc6500. I just got a brand new star wars Bly ray and it is freezing on playback the very first time it's played. DVDs also freeze on playback. The software is 1025.1 and when I try to update it it says I already have the current version and no update is available.

Collapse -
bdc6500 skips and locks
by fsxxx / July 9, 2012 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Freezes

Looking back over this thread, I am amazed samsung has not made any constructive comments. I have had and have a lot of good samsung products in the past. This problem is happening to many users of this device. I have had this over one year now and the problem has gotten steadily worse. It did not happen in the beginning suggesting some type of degradation of components or alignment or something. I have the latest firmware etc. It can happen on about any disk. One note: Often if I stop the machine and remove the disk and wipe it (it is not really dirty), it will often play without skip.
So, given no fix and being out of warranty, I am scrapping this device. Samsung, what happened here?

Collapse -
locks at security screen
by doug088 / July 21, 2012 8:09 PM PDT

I'm so glad I finally did a web search on this problem. This has been a nightmare for almost 2 yrs. Last suggestion from Best Buy was to buy a Blu-ray disc cleaner. I did but it won't even play the disc cleaner disc without freezing.

My player BD-S6500 ZAZ96V1Z317717V does not always freeze at the same place in a DVD but 90% of the time it is during the security screen, 9% happens within 30 of hitting play from the main menu, and the remaining 1% is random during opening credits/trailers/etc.

Looking at this thread, I am also amazed that Samsung has not made any constructive comments or acknowledged that this is a "known" problem and provide some sort of resolution. It makes me sick to think that I paid $220 for this unit (still have the original receipt).

I don't know how to check my firmware (or update it) but it does not seem to matter based on the threads above.

I have been a loyal Samsung customer but if I can't get a reasonable resolution to this, it will be my last Samsung product and I would encourage others to do the same. Seems like a decline in sales revenue may be the only thing that Samsung will respond to.

Is Samsung Customer Service really not willing to step up and handle this?

Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 lock ups
by Esitu7sh / January 1, 2013 1:08 AM PST

I've had the same problem but it started happening after the warranty expired. I have tried to reload the blu-ray disk, power cycle the unit, nothing works. The only way is to play the regular dvd version which goes against the point of purchasing a HD flatscreen. Very disappointing. My solution ended up using my Playstation 3 to view blu-ray movies. I will never purchase another Samsung product as I've had problems with other products, cell phone, refrigerator. Highly disappointing.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung BD-C6500 lock ups
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 2, 2013 10:16 PM PST

Hi Esitu7sh,

Could you clarify for me whether the only problem you've having with the Blu-ray player is with reading Blu-ray discs? Also, have you checked to see if you have the most recent firmware for it?

HD Tech

Collapse -
I have the EXACT same issue
by egf7401 / March 5, 2013 6:12 AM PST

I have the exact same issue as others on this thread. I can loaded ANY DVD or Blu-Ray disc, and immediately after the Security notification is presented (exactly at 39 seconds into the playing of the disc, it freezes and if I open the disc tray and immediately close it....the disc will play with no problems. This occurred after one of the many upgrades that got pushed to my player, but I can't determine which version that caused the problem. Point being, if it worked before that one version upgrade, then it seems logical that the issue could be fixed with a subsequent version release. My player currently has the latest, greatest version.

As to the gentleman's request for specific movie titles, I can provide plenty...Batman Returns, Spiderman, Alexander the Great, Ted, Battleship, Get the Gringo, workout videos, and on and on....

Collapse -
Re: I have the EXACT same issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 6, 2013 7:00 AM PST

Hi egf7401,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Is this the same model as the OP, BD-C6500? Also, what have you tried to resolve the issue? Have you tried resetting the Blu-ray player?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung BD-C6500 freezes on almost all new Blu-rays
by audiomagnate / March 13, 2013 4:56 AM PDT

I gave up on playing Blu-rays over a year ago. Some would play perfectly, others would freeze up almost immediately, and others would freeze up halfway through the movie. My software is up to date. When I turned it on a month or so ago it told me a firmware update was available, which gave me hope that the freeze up problem had been cured, but this turned out not to be the case. Here is a list of recent Blu-rays titles that freeze up:

1. The Master
2. Hunger Games
3. Wreck it Ralph
4. Tale Heart

Here are a couple of recent titles that play without freezing:

1. Skyfall (froze once in the bar scene before the monitor lizard fight, but unloading and reloading let it play).
2. Dredd (Played without incident. Amazing!)

I have asked for credit at Blockbuster for non playing titles so many times that they are (correctly) blaming my player. I now only rent or buy titles that are at least two years old, which play fine. Calls to 1-800-Samsung are, as usual, time consuming and completely useless. Samsung always pretends that they have never heard of this problem and do nothing but give their customers the runaround, just like they do on this thread.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung BD-C6500 freezes on almost all new Blu-rays
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 13, 2013 5:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
by audiomagnate / March 13, 2013 5:26 PM PDT

I waited a year for a firmware update which didn't help on most titles.. Am I supposed to keep my fingers crossed and wait another year for a firmware update that might or might not help? That's absurd. Samsung has produced a Blu-ray player that can't do the what most people buy a Blu-ray player for: to play newly released Blu-rays. It plays older Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs and streams Netflix, but it's hit or miss (usually miss) when it comes to recently released Blu-rays. The hardware, and more specifically the firmware, simply can't keep up with the constantly changing security encoding that is the reality of Blu-rays. Samsung should either stop producing Blu-ray players or spend the money to keep their players up to date like other manufacturers seem to be able to do without problem. One year in between firmware updates for this model proves Samsung has no interest in keeping their products current, a must with Blu-ray players. Instead of being able to rent new Blu-rays for $1.61 from Redbox or $2.99 from Blockbuster, I have to much more to watch lower quality versions from Vudu or Amazon, something that has cost me hundreds odf dollars over the past few years.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.