Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray-Slow network connection

by alfonsopulido1 / March 13, 2010 7:42 AM PST

I connected my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray player directly with an ethernet cable to an Apple Time Capsule. In the player's setup menu, I went to the Wired Connection Setup and chose "Auto" so the IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc were acquired automatically. Apparently the player joined the network without any problems.
Now, if I go into the Internet@TV menu and into Settings, there's a "network speed test" where it's warned that any speed under 1.5 Mbps will result in bad performance. I run the test and it gives me an average of 800 Kbps!
I have 2 laptops and a desktop computer that connect wirelessly to the same Time Capsule network and they get download speeds over 10 Mbps... does anybody have any idea why the player that is wired to the network is so much slower. Is there a way to fix this? I already tried changing the ethernet cable for a brand new one and nothing changed.
Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray-Slow network connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu Ray-Slow network connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Issue
by bills1012 / March 15, 2010 7:11 AM PDT

Just bought my player today. It seems to stream very smoothly unlike the Sony that I just took back. Have you figured out why the network speed is so low?

Collapse -
Re: Same Issue
by alfonsopulido1 / March 15, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

bills1012,
Haven't figured it out yet. I think that it might be that the player is not automatically acquiring the right IP address, etc. and I'm not sure how to do it manually. I have the Apple Time Capsule set up on my MacBook and if I open Airport Utility/Manual Setup/Internet, there's a bunch of numbers that I don't know which to copy on the player's Network Manual Setup. (I tried copying the MacBook IP address on the player's setup and it didn't work)
If you run the internet speed test on your player, what speed are you getting? Is it comparable to other gadgets in your network?

Collapse -
by bills1012 / March 15, 2010 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Same Issue

My numbers were similar to yours. The player was testing at about 1mbps or less. My laptop is anywhere between 9 and 11mbps.

Collapse -
by alfonsopulido1 / March 15, 2010 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

Well... Let me know if you solve the problem. Who knows... it might not even be a problem.
Regards

Collapse -
slow netflix
by john_h_4 / March 16, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I am looking for the same answer. I just hardwired my samsung DB-p3600 and the netflix movies are not full quality? To fix my Roku I changed my router to use OpenDNS vs. the one my cable company gave me. That was a huge help for my Roku, so now I am trying to figure out why my samsung player will not play Netflix at the best quality when wired.
I too found my laptop consistently receives 9mbps - 13mps on the same exact wire.

Collapse -
slow netflix
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 16, 2010 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: slow netflix

john_h_4,

What kind of speeds do you get with the internet connection? Usually the "full quality" (meaning all the bars aren't lit up, correct?) is not due to network speed, but internet speed.

DSL will fill half the bars, typically, and cable - depending on the speed in the subscription - can be there or higher.

Also, check Netflix under the genre "High Definition" to click a streaming HD movie, and launch it to see if you get HD selections to stream in HD. Not all streaming movies are HD quality, and that is also reflected in that streaming bar.

--HDTech

Collapse -
network speed
by bills1012 / March 16, 2010 11:23 PM PDT

HDTech,

When I tested the network speed under the Internet@TV settings, I was getting speeds from 500kbps to 1.3mbps.

In my case, streaming seems to be fine. The quality is HD. So, it's not really a performance issue. Rather, I'm just wondering why the network speed test would return such a different speed than I get on my laptop.

Collapse -
Reply to HD tech and bills1012
by alfonsopulido1 / March 17, 2010 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: network speed

HD tech,
I haven't had the chance to try to stream HD content from Netflix but It seems that my case is exactly the same as bills1012's. I guess 2 (or 3) questions come to mind:

1) Is the slow network speed really a problem? Could we have a better viewing experience at higher speeds?

2) Is the 500kbps-1.3mbps network speed a problem with our internet connection (or setup) that we can fix somehow?... Or is it a problem with the servers that we are connecting to?

(bills1012, what kind of router are you using to connect the player? Is it an Apple too?

Collapse -
Router type
by bills1012 / March 17, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

I'm using a Dlink G router. I'm using a wired connection to the blu ray player.

Collapse -
Re:Router type
by alfonsopulido1 / March 17, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Router type

bills1012,
OK, thank you. (I've read that some people are having trouble trying to connect the Samsung players wirelessly to Apple routers so I just wanted to discard the possibility that this is a problem exclusive to Samsung-AppleRouters wired connections).
By the way, I don't know if you noticed but Samsung issued 2 days ago a software update for the BD-C5500. I was hoping to see some visible changes, like a faster network speed or maybe a few more web apps added to the Internet@TV menu.... but no, nothing visible for now.

Collapse -
Re: Slow Netflix
by alfonsopulido1 / March 17, 2010 4:31 AM PDT

Samsung_HD_Tech,
I just learned from the Netflix website that: "Instant watching titles are available in multiple levels of video quality. Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can't select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions".... and that: "To watch movies instantly via your Netflix Ready device, we recommend a broadband connection providing at least 1.5 Mbps. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 3.0 Mbps".
So if my connection is under 1Mbps, it will indeed affect the video quality of Netflix movies. That bring us to my original question: Why, if the computers that connect wirelessly to my home network are getting speeds of more than 10Mbps, the Samsung Player that is wired to the network is only getting speeds under 1Mbps?

Collapse -
Samsung Tech, an answer please!
by alfonsopulido1 / March 19, 2010 1:03 AM PDT

Yesterday I did a few experiments to make sure that the problem is not on my router, modem or network:
1) I turned off the "Airport" on my MacBook and connected it to the Time Capsule (the router) with an ethernet cable (to check if I have a problem with all wired connections to the router). I got speeds over 12Mbps.... so there's no problem there.
2) Then, I unplugged the router from the modem and connected the Blu-Ray player directly to the modem (bypassing the router)... The player's network speed test showed speeds around 1.7Mbps ( A little better than connecting it through the router, but not enough to watch Netflix movies with DVD quality).
3) I reset the player as I was told on Samsung's chat live support... nothing changed.

Hopefully Samsung_HD_Tech didn't abandoned this thread, because I would really like to know if there's a solution to this problem. Is it a problem with this particular player? If I'm not going to be able to stream movies with a decent quality, I can save $100 by returning this player and getting another one without Netflix.

Collapse -
Samsung 5500 speed connection
by mstrahan / March 21, 2010 1:34 PM PDT

I am receiving the same issue (all other systems 17+ Mbps - Samsung less than 1.5 Mbps)and some of what I stream from netflix has had some issues, where every few minutes the picture will freeze for a second and ghost the image. It seems to happen on the HD quality videos.

Collapse -
speed test
by john_h_4 / March 23, 2010 6:58 AM PDT

How did you determine the player's internet speed? Is there an option on the player somewhere? (I have the bd-p3600)

To test the internet speed, I had to plug in a laptop to where the player was plugged in, and then go to speedtest.net. That showed me 9mbps - 11mbps. I then had to unplug the network cable and plug it back into the player - assuming the player is seeing the same 9mbps - 11mbps speed over the same wire 20 seconds later. Is this what you did?

Collapse -
Re: Speed Test
by alfonsopulido1 / March 23, 2010 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: speed test

john_h_4,
I have the BD-C5500... in my case, to get to the player's network speed test, I go into the Internet@TV screen and then into Settings, there I can find the "network speed test" where it's warned that any speed under 1.5 Mbps will result in bad performance.
The reason why I started this discussion is because running this test I get results of around 1Mbps, even that the player is wired to the router.... The computers that are connected wirelessly to my network are reporting speeds over 10Mbps and if I wire them to the router (as the player is) the speed goes up to 12Mbps... So I know that there's no problem with my network or my router... the problem is with the player or the network that is connecting to. Therefore it's wrong to assume that the player is getting the same speeds than your laptop.
Regarding your other post, you don't need an HD subscription to Netflix to stream movies on HD. This is from the Netflix website:
"Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can't select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions".... "To watch movies instantly via your Netflix Ready device, we recommend a broadband connection providing at least 1.5 Mbps. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 3.0 Mbps".
This obviously contradicts what Samsung Tech said, but it makes more sense.
So in other words, the bars will fill if the player has a good connection... and we are not getting it (even that our computers are).
Unfortunately Samsung Tech apparently abandoned this discussion. His last post was 6 days ago.
Samsung's Support Live Chat hasn't been helpful either. Their only answer, over and over, is to reset the player, which I've done twice without any results.
Regards

Collapse -
Thanks for the note
by john_h_4 / March 26, 2010 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Speed Test

I have the BD-P3600, that does not have the speedtest like yours. However, I have never had all the bars on the Samsung player lite up for HD mode. That is great that Netflix will stream HD to me, however I don't know if the movie I am watching comes in HD, or just SD.

Collapse -
Samsung is the problem - not Netflix
by 757757 / February 17, 2012 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Speed Test

I have tried every diagnostic that Samsung and Netflix could think of. I hooked up a roku and then a cheap Dynex unit and both worked perfectly! I tried 2 different samsung 5700 units and both had the same problem, rebuffering constantly. This was after buying a new router, which I didn't nead and spending countless hours on the problem. Samsung should do their own diagnostics, before they sell a product.Samsung refused to refund my money, saying that the unit needs to be serviced by them. They couldn't service a hot dog! I will NEVER buy a Samsung product again as the technical and customer service at the company is a joke

Collapse -
speed test
by piconut2 / June 9, 2010 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: speed test

The Samsung BD-C5500 has a Speedtest under the settings (not at the unit right now so can't give you the exact path).

Collapse -
HD Quality vs. Regular Quality
by john_h_4 / March 23, 2010 6:53 AM PDT

HD Tech support,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Ah! So, only HD movies will fill all the bars? That would explain a lot. I do not have the HD subscription with Netflix, so I cannot stream any HD movies. I am only streaming regular definition and it always has a few bars to the right that never light up (unlike the roku machine).

BTW: I am getting ~ 9mbps-11mbps by connecting my laptop on the same wire to www.speedtest.net. So, the player should be getting the same internet speeds with my TimeWarner cable (I think).

Collapse -
HD Quality vs. Regular Quality
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

john_h_4,

I believe so. It also depends on your network speed. For instance, the wireless dongle is good for N-Routers, but if you have an 802.11b connection in the network, the entire network slows to the slowest network device.

That said, keep me posted, and I'll see if I can look more into this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
????!!!!
by alfonsopulido1 / March 25, 2010 2:45 PM PDT

Is it my imagination or Samsung Tech is not reading the thread... either that or he's completely ignoring what we write.
Everybody in this discussion has said that we have our players WIRED to the router. Nobody here is using the wireless dongle, and the network speeds on our wireless laptops and other gadgets are over 10Mbps...only the (wired) Samsung players are connecting slowly at less than 1Mbps... He's not even acknowledging our common problem!

Collapse -
????!!!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2010 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: ????!!!!

alfonsopulido1,

The forum is for anyone to pitch in. I don't know why it's not working at a faster speed with your particular router/modem. On prior models, Apple had to be contacted for troubleshooting because the hardware works differently than other routers for proprietary reasons that Apple has chosen, and this may very well be the case here.

Nothing to do with wireless? Your original post noted two laptops and a desktop. My mistake, but no need to suggest I'm ignoring you. I'm not an Apple Time Capsule authority. I don't know why your network is slow with a wired conenction.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Response to Samsung_HD_Tech
by alfonsopulido1 / March 26, 2010 1:25 AM PDT

Samsung Tech,
At first I thought that it could be an issue with the Apple router, but if you read the thread, bills1012 and john_h_4 are having the same problem that I am and none of them have Apple routers (bills1012 wrote: "I'm using a DLINK G ROUTER. I'm using a WIRED connection to the blu ray player)... and both of them have their players wired to the network (john_h_4 wrote: "I just hardwired my samsung DB-p3600 and the netflix movies are not full quality")... therefore, that makes me think that the problem exists regardless of the router. The problem is not with my "particular router/modem"
The reason why I mentioned the wireless laptop and desktop was just to compare their speeds to the WIRED player's. If the wireless gadgets are connecting at speeds over 10Mbps it would be obvious to expect the WIRED player to connect at the same or even faster speeds, right? Nobody in this thread has mentioned using the wireless dongle to connect their players. So yes, our problem has nothing to do with wireless.
I know that you are not supposed to be an Apple authority, but you are supposed to be a Samsung authority.... and this problem is obviously a problem with the Samsung players and the way they connect to the internet, and not with the routers.... At least 3 people here and many others in other discussions have the same problem... we all have Samsung players but different brands of modem/routers.
The reason why I suggested that you are ignoring certain posts in this thread (including mine) is that even that I started this discussion and the original question was mine, you seemed to only answer john_h_4's comments, without even acknowledging the other people's responses ... and actually, you are answering john's comments with some misinformation:
You wrote: "Also, check Netflix under the genre "High Definition" to click a streaming HD movie, and launch it to see if you get HD selections to stream in HD".
There's no such thing as a "High Definition" genre or choice on Netflix. The quality of the movie stream depends on your connection speed. Any Netflix movie can be streamed with DVD quality as long as you have a network speed over 3Mbps (That we are not getting regardless of the router/modem we use).
You might say that you are not a Netflix authority either, but in my most humble opinion, if one of the main features of these Samsung Players is Netflix streaming, you should know how it works!
I apologize if I sound frustrated, but I bought this player (and not a $100 cheaper one) because I wanted to stream movies from Netflix... expecting better quality than what I get from my VCR. I've tried every resource to find an answer to this problem. I emailed Samsung support and never got anything back. I contacted Support's Live Chat several times and their only suggestion over and over is to reset the player (which I've done several times). Nobody on your side seems to know or even acknowledge the problem, even that there're are countless people talking about it in different online forums. I'm sorry to say it but, in my experience, Samsung's Customers Support has been one of the worst in the business.

So here again is the problem in a nutshell for you:
Internet enabled Samsung Blu Ray players are connecting to the internet at 1/10 of the speeds than other gadgets connected to the same modem/routers (regardless of their brand), making the Netflix movie viewing feature, obsolete.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 26, 2010 5:05 PM PDT

alfonsopulido1,

There's no such thing as a "High Definition" genre or choice on Netflix. The quality of the movie stream depends on your connection speed. Any Netflix movie can be streamed with DVD quality as long as you have a network speed over 3Mbps (That we are not getting regardless of the router/modem we use).
You might say that you are not a Netflix authority either, but in my most humble opinion, if one of the main features of these Samsung Players is Netflix streaming, you should know how it works!

Netflix DOES have an HD genre, and I've taken the time to show you here:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/NetflixHD.jpg

I've streamed DVD quality movies well under 1mbps, and I've done this by crimping my own connection.

DVD quality is 480 lines of resolution, which is easily achievable under 1mbps.

I'm not an authority with DLink, Netgear, Apple Airport, and I'm not allowed to offer suggestions on router settings. Even if it's connected to a Samsung component. I did before a few months ago, and someone became convinced that my suggested settings "may have somehow" compromised his network, and suggested that I be responsible for his network in the event he incurs a loss as a result of my suggestions. I've since been advised to refer you to your router company. Sorry.

If it's not meeting your expectations, do what's best for you. If you want to return it because you think there's a better value elsewhere, I want you to be happy or have something that makes you happy.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by alfonsopulido1 / March 30, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

Samsung Tech,
Even that there is an HD category under Netflix genres, that doesn't change the fact that Netflix automatically chooses the video quality based on your connection, so a faster connection would mean a better picture. This is straight from the Netflix website (for the 3rd time):
"Netflix automatically determines the level you receive by analyzing your current Internet speed. You can't select the video quality level yourself, and the level will change from time to time depending on actual network conditions".... "To watch movies instantly via your Netflix Ready device, we recommend a broadband connection providing at least 1.5 Mbps. The faster your connection, the better the quality. For DVD quality video and audio, you need a connection providing at least 3.0 Mbps".... And even in the player's Internet@TV speed test menu says that speeds under 1.5Mbps might result in a poor viewing experience.
I have no idea if "480 lines of resolution is easily achievable under 1mbps"... all I know is that the Netflix streams on my player look like crap!
The people in this discussion all share that problem. And we all have different brands of routers that work perfectly with our other gadgets. The one thing that we all have in common is the Samsung brand blur-ray player. Hopefully you can admit that there might be a problem with the way that these players are connecting to our home networks that otherwise have proven to be fast.
It seems to me that one shouldn't have to be a computer tech to enjoy the player's features and that some kind of help should be available if these features are not working as advertised.
Your only recommendation as a Samsung technician is to do "what's best for us"?

Collapse -
samsung wi-fi
by 757757 / February 17, 2012 9:03 PM PST

Don't waste your time with checking your networks, or doing other unpaid diagnostic for Samsung. Go to Best Buy, Pick up a Roku or Dynex unit for $50. Plug them in. They will work fine! Use The Samsung as a door stopper

Collapse -
Speedtest
by john_h_4 / March 26, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

Hi HDTech,
I now have a wired connection. My laptop is getting ~9mbps - 11mpbs on the network line. When I plug into the BD-P3600 and run netflix, I do not get all the bars. You noted that maybe only HD movies will show all the bars. Is there someone you can verify that with?

Also => Alfonso has a BD-C5500 and has some type of speedtest available on his player. Does the BD-P3600 have such a feature I can view to see what the internet speed is?

Thank you,
John

Collapse -
Setting MTU 576 seems to help a little
by patriotsfan12 / September 29, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

Here is something interesting for the Samsung engineers to look into. When I set the MTU packet size to the bare minimum 576 on my router, it seems to reduce the buffering that I see in Netflix or VUDU streaming. However, that is not acceptable since the default for all routers is 1500. So effectively I've cut my payload by 1/3 when sending/receiving data. Instead of setting the MTU on my router, maybe the Samsung device (via a firmware update) can set the device network to MTU 576 although there is something really wrong with it to have to set it to the minimum like that. However, it is worth trying and I'd rather sacrifice speed for stability with streaming.

Collapse -
Samsung BDP-1590 Bluray Player Wireless Internet Connection
by moterg / October 25, 2012 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I can play Netflix movies OK, but when I try to play some/any youtube clips, it takes over 10 mins to load a 2 minute clip. In fact, I have never been able to play a youtube clip. As I said netflix works fine. Wondered if I have some wrong settings or something. I just use Auto configuration.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung BDP-1590 Bluray Player Wireless Internet Connect
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 26, 2012 1:03 AM PDT

Hi moterg,

Sorry to hear about these problems. Could you let me know what the firmware version you're on is?

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.