Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray and AllShare

by Britinva / April 9, 2010 11:45 PM PDT

One of the primary reasons I purchased a Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player was because of the AllShare feature.

While the feature is pretty cool I think some of Samsungs implementation is poor.

First the PC Share Manager is mediocre - it really lacks basic functionality like auto-updating the library. Very frustrating having to refresh the library manually. Really need to add Auto or scheduled DB refresh.

Its also far behind what other DLNA servers can do that are being developed by individuals. Like Serviio which is simple like PCSM but has features like use online metadata (i.e. & - I would add Wikipedia to that list).

PCSM also should prompt when update available and/or have a check for update within PCSM. Otherwise we have to keep checking the Samsung Website.

The player interface that?s also not ideal.

Why are the directional keys used instead of FF/RW? It?s also more of a jog forward/back than a real FF/RW. Maybe that?s a DLNA limitation.

For the viewing the library I think you need to have a list only view option (i.e. without thumbnails).

For lists with thumbnails the aspect should be correct for the image. It?s OK for audio as the thumbnail is in aspect of a CD cover. And while for movies a 16:9 ration for a movie frame capture might work for those of us using better DLNA Servers (i.e. Serviio) if we send a DVD cover the Samsung interfaces stretches it.

Some other things on my wish list are:

- Ability to support ISO or Video_TS formats and preserve chapters
- Ability to customize folder thumbnails

Really hoping that Samsung can do some improvements to the player interface. This first player was a test and I will be in the market for 3 or 4 more players this year. I like everything else about the Samsung player but with Sony about to implement DLNA on their players in July I might go with them if there player interface and DLNA server implementation is better.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray and AllShare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray and AllShare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Copies
by Britinva / April 11, 2010 11:40 PM PDT

One other thing - why can you not play Digital copies via DLNA?

Collapse -
Slideshow Mode
by Britinva / April 12, 2010 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Copies

On the Samsung C5500 when you view images they are each displayed for about 5 seconds before moving on to the next - i.e. a slideshow mode. Is the 5 second interval a player parameter of something the DLNA server can influence?.

Reason behind this questions is looks like using a DLNA will be great for Pre-Movie quizzes where you display one image with a question and then reveal answer later. Anyone interested should take a look at these resources.

Collapse -
How to get feedback to Samsung
by Britinva / April 20, 2010 10:30 PM PDT

What is process for getting feedback to Samsung developers?

Collapse -
Samsung C5500 Continuous Disconnects Using AllShare
by nikkomon / September 28, 2011 5:28 AM PDT

Any guidance on why I cannot watch a movie all the way thru without a disconnect? Set up is linksys wireless router, C5500 is connected to router by ethernet, streaming pc is a Dell laptop connected wirelessly to linksyst router. Could the problem be in the wireless connection of the pc, should I connect it to router by ethernet? Or is this a anti-virus conflict, I use Avast. Any guidance or feedback is appreciated. Tried Mezzmo but it disconnects too.

Collapse -
Samsung C5500 Continuous Disconnects Using AllShare
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 28, 2011 6:13 AM PDT

Collapse -
Samsung C5500 Continuous Disconnects Using AllShare - New!
by nikkomon / September 28, 2011 9:25 AM PDT

No, it disconnects at different times.

Collapse -
For a test, get all wired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 9:30 AM PDT

Don't use wifi for a test run.

Collapse -
For a test, get all wired.
by nikkomon / September 28, 2011 12:45 PM PDT

OK, connected laptop to linksys router by ethernet cable, C5500 connected into router by ethernet cable, movie played without any trouble. So it seems that it is in the wireless connection.

Collapse -
Let's try it the CNET Network Forum way next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 12:48 PM PDT

OK, this will turn you into a Network Ninja. Ready?

We want to use our Router Defaults then change only the following:

1. What the ISP needs.
2. The SSID must be SIMPLE (well, not "SIMPLE" but a simple ascii short name.
3. Use WPA2 AES (or PSK) security.

That's it. If it does not stream, be sure the router firewall is turned off.

Good streaming! (or luck.)

Collapse -
Check wireless signal strength
by Andy Holman / September 28, 2011 1:45 PM PDT

If your streaming HD video, then you should be using wireless N with full signal strength - otherwise you may get dropouts as you are experiencing. Video streaming requires a lot of bandwidth on your home network. Ethernet cable is always the best choice. The fact that your Ethernet cable test worked well suggests that your wireless home network may not have full signal strength or may be peaky (up and down). This could cause your dropouts.

Collapse -
(NT) Or they could have not tried the settings noted?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 2:04 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.