Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T keyboard dock design upgrade

by nayakkayan / January 23, 2013 1:36 AM PST

Many of us are pleased by the new release of samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T.
All the tablet features are extremely fine but for the keyboard dock. For a performance pc with intel i5, battery backup is always the question. The smart pc pro has only 5hr backup!, compared to its intel atom sibling (smart pc 500T has 10-14h backup). Does'nt it make good sense to include extra battery bays at the keyboard dock for users to add up battery packs as needed!
Moreover, the keyboard dock has to be inevitably heavy to balance the weight of the tablet (888g). The keyboard with extra battery bays will be the ideal design. It would serve two purpose, first: 1 to 2 battery bays will increase the backup by 5 to 10 more hrs (total of 15 hrs backup will beat any ultrabook in the market)
second: increase in the keyboard dock weight to support the tablet when used as notebook.

Is samsung planning to introduce a modified dock for the smart pc pro in near future?

Samsung is a company which listens to its customers a lot and comes with quick upgrades in their future products, so having high hopes for the essential upgrade!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T keyboard dock design upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T keyboard dock design upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T keyboard dock design upgr
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 23, 2013 2:43 AM PST

Hi nayakkayan,

It's a fine idea. I'll pass it along to the appropriate team.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Forget upgrade - How about fix the flaws
by Robotica72 / January 24, 2013 9:29 AM PST

Samsung -

You have major issues with the keyboards for the 500 and 700 series Ativ's - In my home we have (2) 500's and my 700 - EVERY one disconnects from the keyboards all the time. My 700t has the best one, but even as I write this on the unit it has disconnected 3 times - You cant breathe without a disconnect. My Wife has stopped using the keyboard all together. We asked Samsung to replace just the docks and they want the entire unit back, even though we have proven its the docks by using another dock from a coworker.

I now have to spend another $450 for three new docks and HOPE they don't have the issues.

This is also well documented at forums.

Collapse -
Keyboard dock upgrade is a must
by jaheshkhan / January 26, 2013 5:24 AM PST

Keyboard upgrade is a must. It's a must that it need extra battery. I'm also facing this disconnect issue. So samsung has to launch new keyboard dock.
My suggestion is 3 keyboard dock options
1. One keyboard must b surface-like keyboard with stand. Of course without any disconnect issue.
2. Keyboard with extra battery, secondary storage, Ethernet port if possible, optional 4G. Lenovo thinkpad helix dock is really good. It has 3 mode. U need to consider really something like that.
3. It can be same kind of dock but disconnect issue needs to b solved.

So people can opt whatever they need. All docks has to some design approach like Lenovo thinkpad helix.. Either by twisting or removing and replacing it. I bought the ativ pro bcos I believe samsung will bring new keyboard docks for it. If its not like that ill b really disappointed.

Collapse -
by Robotica72 / January 26, 2013 10:02 AM PST

I agree - I would also like a Keyboard with a Battery since I have the 700t and could use alittle more battery power.

I think Samsung needs to do something for the huge amount of people having the Disconnect issues - I just bought another Dock in the hopes to get a good one so I can finally use my Ativ as it should have worked when I bought it.

Ive tried to get Samsung to say something about all the dock issues - They are blowing it off, which is really annoying....

Collapse -
believed samsung will introduce keyboard dock options
by jaheshkhan / January 27, 2013 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Agreed...

really wonder y samsung didnt notice these things before releasing the product. did they really urge to launch without proper testing in design?
is ur problem solved after getting new keyboard dock? Mine is in service center. today they called me and told me that keyboard need to replaced it will take more than 10 days to get the new keyboard dock.

Even with new dock if the issue is not getting solved then im really disappointed. y i bought this bcos i believe that samsung will introduce some varieties/options of keyboard docks for ativ smart pc pro.

Did u see lenovo thinkpad helix video? im really impressed with their dock.

Collapse -
by Robotica72 / January 27, 2013 7:06 AM PST

Yeah, you would thing the QC of the design should have picked this up - So you had good luck getting Samsung to take the dock back for service? My Wife tried and they wanted the entire unit. I had an issue with my 700t that needed service (Bad LCD) and it tool Intelisol 3 weeks to get a repair from start to end. So needless to say, she doesn't want to send the whole unit in.

The design is solid, I think they just implemented wrong ... I'm done with Samsung after this, unless they finally call out to people and admit a design issue on these docks and do something for the customers. They are a huge company and should take care of us who have issues.

I have seen the Lenovo and the HP - Ive seen the HP in person at a show and it didn't have any issues with docking/undocking or disconnects ....

Samsung should read the forums and look at Amazon - This issue is ALL over the place... Most of us are just accepting the issue since the tablet is nice - But they NEED to do something - and so far, they seem to be ignoring our chat in this forum.

Collapse -
my advice: give back the device before warranty expires
by jaheshkhan / January 28, 2013 3:15 PM PST
In reply to: Yep

my advice: give back the device before warranty expires otherwise ull suffer a lot some times they may give u new unit. i even suggested them to inform samsung with new keyboard options.

Collapse -
by Robotica72 / January 28, 2013 10:55 PM PST

Yeah - Im going to argue with Samsung to take the dock back only since I need the main Tablet for work... Theres no reason at all that they should ask for the entire tablet for a dock issue, I have tried my system in another dock at work and It works fine. My personal new dock will be here this week, so it would be even easier for me to send just the dock to them for a replacement.

Collapse -
my keyboard with tablet arrived
by jaheshkhan / January 30, 2013 2:58 PM PST
In reply to: ....

i got a call yesterday the my device with keyboard has arrived. i need to collect it. according to service center i got the information that ill receive the dock after 10 days. ill update the status after i collected my device back.

still im suggesting samsung to release new versions of keyboard dock.
one like surface keyboard
other one with options extra battery, usb 3, extra storage, ethernet port

Collapse -
New Dock
by Robotica72 / January 30, 2013 10:49 PM PST

My new dock that I bought came in yesterday and I have had no issues at all for 2 days - So my other dock is the issue (As we sort of knew anyway....)

With the design of the Tablet, I doubt you will see a surface type keyboard, its just not feasible with the design and the Surface has a kickstand built in, and the 500/700's do not - So I doubt that will come about. Overall, I wouldn't expect Samsung to make too many docks - The current one is perfect and the reason I bought this over a Surface - I use mine on my laptop a lot, and the surface doesn't work for that, not the keyboard at least.

I have heard rumors they will be coming out with a dock with a battery in it which would be great for the 700 people since the i5 power drains the battery more - I still get 6-7 hours on my 700t, but on my wifes 500, I got over 9-10.

Collapse -
i got my replacemnt. works perfectly now
by jaheshkhan / January 31, 2013 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: New Dock

I got my replacement. works perfectly. no disconnect issues. I really loves it. but there r rumors also abt surface like keyboard. they may launch it after surface launch. may b. not sure.

Collapse -
Keyboard Dock that has it all!

I totally agree that a heavier keyboard is a must.
I usually carry the tablet alone for short sessions and light jobs.
Here are some reasons why you should not think of docking as slim and light.
1- Serious work should not be interrupted. And I bought the 700T for real big database and video editing.
2- Heavy docking does not contradict mobility as long as it splits on need. If I need extra battery, extra storage (say 1TB HDD), and/or extra ports (LAN, VGA, Card Slots), I would carry them all with me. Having them all in one piece aside the tablet is the REAL mobility.
3- With all of this load, the keyboard could go fat, and why not. Docking is not for showtime, and it is much better than all the adapters and accessories jungle I have to move with.

Collapse -
Keyboard Design
by zoomx2 / November 17, 2013 12:03 PM PST

My unit Pro 700T is not even a year old and after a few weeks I started getting keyboard disconnect. It got progressively worse and now it is unbearable. When I called Samsung customer support all I got was 'you got it as a bundle (tablet + keyboard) and the keyboard is not a Samsung product (apparently it is built by Lenovo) therefore we do not have a warranty on the keyboard'.. this was the worst answer a customer can be given.. you are selling it as a bundle and charging $1200 but when the time comes to own up to your product you say it does not say Samsung on the keyboard. Not even offering to replace it or even take a look at it. I am so disappointed with Samsung that I would think twice before spending any money on Samsung products. It looks like Samsung is just trying to avoid any responsibility on their lack of product testing, where the poor design of the keyboard should have been discovered regardless whether it is a Samsung or Lenovo product. As long as it is sold as a bundle, Samsung should be responsible for both pieces. Samsung should replace all the keyboards that are marketed with faulty keyboards instead of hiding behind some technicality and behave like a global company that takes responsibility for the products it sells in terms of proper warranty.

Collapse -
Re: Keyboard Design
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 18, 2013 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard Design

Hi zoomx2,

Sorry to hear about this issue. Did you receive a transaction number when you contacted Samsung? If so please post it and I would be glad to look into this for you.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Keyboard Design
by zoomx2 / November 18, 2013 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Keyboard Design

Maybe there was a transaction number but I was so upset with the response I got that I probably did not even write it down. Just in caseyou want to investigate, model: XE700T1C-A01CA, keyboard model AA-RD8NMKD. Purchased as a bundle from Best Buy in Canada. March-April timeframe.

Collapse -
re: Keyboard Design
by zoomx2 / November 18, 2013 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Keyboard Design

Maybe there was a transaction number but I was so upset with the response I got that I probably did not even write it down. Just in caseyou want to investigate, model: XE700T1C-A01CA, keyboard model AA-RD8NMKD. Purchased as a bundle from Best Buy in Canada. March-April timeframe.

Collapse -
Re: Keyboard Design
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 19, 2013 12:14 AM PST
In reply to: re: Keyboard Design

Hi zoomx2,

Thank you for providing the information. But just so you know, I support US products and customers. Since this is the Canadian model slate, you will need to contact Samsung Canada regarding support.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung ATIV pro 700t issues
by pdottj / December 23, 2013 11:43 AM PST

I have a US model that has exactly same problems expressed on this page - could you help?

Collapse -
Re: Samsung ATIV pro 700t issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2013 6:42 AM PST

Hi pdottj,

I would be glad to assist you. Please provide your model number and a description of the issue you are experiencing.

HD Tech

Collapse -
model number and issue
by pdottj / December 30, 2013 9:21 AM PST

Thank you!

M/N: XE700T1C-A02US

The item is faulty. The tablet losses connectivity with the dock at random, evident by it making the connecting and disconnecting noises and the keyboard dock buttons not working.

Collapse -
Re: model number and issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 1, 2014 10:58 PM PST
In reply to: model number and issue
Collapse -
Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T keyboard dock design upgrade
by Adam_West33 / February 7, 2013 2:35 AM PST

I'm in full agreement the keyboard has issues. I sometimes get the disconnect issue as well... Would really like to see usb 3.0 (not sure if that's possible through the 700t dock port), Ethernet! This is a must on the keyboard dock, extended battery, card reader would be nice and an hdmi port or display port. I know that the dock port might not be able to replicate out all those features from the tab but at the very least it can do Ethernet and Audio. Also plz make the keyboard dock more heavy in the palm rest area to prevent tipping of the tablet when you touch the screen.

Collapse -
Keyboard **** USB problems
by rene_kok1 / August 19, 2013 12:42 AM PDT

I have my Samsung ATIV smart pc pro 700T only a few days.

The keyboard dock contains 2 USB ports.
For me they are not always working properly (the right one does not work with my mouse, and take a very long time to recognize an USB drive).
I am afraid that using those USB ports will corrupt my USB drives
Does anyone else had problems with their USB ports in the keyboarddock?

I definitely agree to using batteries as weights in the Keyboard dock.
I don't know what they are using know as weights, probably a few pieces of metal.

Collapse -
MIC problem
by jaheshkhan / September 1, 2013 6:18 PM PDT

I have very big problem with MICrophone of my laptop.
If i used to record with inbuild mic. i can hear some strange noise in the background. its like doubling our own voice. ull not recognize this problem much when you are recording with in built mic.
But I can never go for a voice chat. other side never be able to listen my voice at all. i tried different location. different applications. all resulted the same problem. seriously there is some problem with inbuilt mic.
another issue is that if im using a external headphone, the mic is not switching the control to external mic.

Speaker sound is too low. if i want to listen something i want to apply full volume.
This side the product is so weak compared to ipad. i know its low power device and different architecture. but if we didnt get what we want then we have to complaint.

Collapse -
Re: MIC problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 4, 2013 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: MIC problem

Hi jaheshkhan,

I'm sorry to hear about this. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

HD Tech

Collapse -
still same problem
by jaheshkhan / October 8, 2013 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: MIC problem

sorry for the delay. why i didnt reply to you because i recently got my laptop back from service center after more than one and half months.
Technician told me that he couldnt find any problem. but for me its all the same. otherside while chating they said my voice is not clear. im not facing this problem with other laptop, ipad or android tablet.
to listen any thing properly i have to apply full volume.

model number is XE700T1C ie XE7001C-A01AE

if you need any thing please free to contact me.

Collapse -
Re: still same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 9, 2013 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: still same problem
Collapse -
i really got frustrated.
by jaheshkhan / October 10, 2013 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: still same problem

we moved to new location. I got my internet one day back. today I Skype with my mother. they again started complaining that they couldn't understand what im speaking. she told me that its like as if im talking putting my head inside water. it was the same problem. I tried with with my smart TV, ipad. there was no issue. they can hear me properly.

for your information I gave it twice to service center for this same issue. still nothing happened. why only problem with this laptop why not other devices have problem when I do Skype. surely there is some issue with microphone. that's the reason they are not able to hear me properly.
even while recording with sound recorder im facing this problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.