Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Apps MLB Freezes Internet@TV

by bencstast / October 25, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

I have had a 50" Plasma 8 Series - PN50C8000 for several months now. Tonight, getting ready to watch Hulu+, I pressed "Internet@TV" and went into the apps section. Almost immediately, a box comes on the screen that says, "Internet@TV Needs to be updated. Update is starting." The update starts whether you press OK or not, the are apparently pushing this MLB app out to us before the World Series.

Right after that, a box appears that says "Service Update," and MLB.TV (2/1) Installing service...

Nothing else happens after that. Notice that it says (2/1), not (1/2). I'm betting this update thing has a misconfigured XML file out there somewhere. Because of this, I can't use Netflix, Hulu, any of my apps unless I can get to them in the second before this box comes up and freezes everything up.

Got online with Samsung Service and they said:

1) This is not an issue
2) No one else has complained (let me be the first)
3) It's a firewall problem and the TV must not be behind a firewall if I want it to work

Per their instructions, I reset the entire TV, made sure the firmware was up to date, reset Samsung Apps, plugged directly to my cable modem, reset cable modem and TV, checked internet connection (it was good), and tried again. Nothing, same problem. He was insistent it was my firewall even though the thing has worked fine with all updates for months and I'm now connected directly to the cable modem. Eventually he said he couldn't help me and it was my problem.

I'm hoping there are many of us having this problem that can post "me too" here, as I've noticed Samsung watches this thread and they sometimes fix issues when they are posted here.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Apps MLB Freezes Internet@TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Apps MLB Freezes Internet@TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem here!
by AUGrad98 / October 25, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

I have the exact same issue. My apps have worked for weeks. Tonight, I try to open apps and it goes directly to he Service Update, MLB.TV (2/1), Installing service...

I have let it stay on the screen for 15 minutes with nothing else happening. I eventually just exit the internet@tv service.

This is not an issue on my side. Not a firewall issue. Samsung, please fix!

Collapse -
Update locks up MLB.tv
by f00dstamps / October 25, 2010 1:14 PM PDT

I am having the same exact issue. Please fix this samsung.

Collapse -
Brand new and same problem!
by Balynce / October 25, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

I just got mine out of the Box today and have been trying to set up the apps but the MLB comes up and I can't do anything! Ugh

Collapse -
Same problem
by alicheree / October 25, 2010 1:45 PM PDT

Got the same problem. Called them and was told to try their Tier 2 support. Will try tomorrow then.

Collapse -
Another 2 week old 58" Plasma 8000 series with MLB.tv proble
by edwardra / October 25, 2010 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I am having the same issue as everyone else, my screen locks on MLB.TV(2/1) and just sits there for hours. Please fix this Samsung.

Collapse -
same problem today 58" plasma
by jabberwolf / October 25, 2010 2:02 PM PDT

october 25th update 2/1 issue for mlb.tv .... stuck

Collapse -
ditto
by sgt_machinehead / October 25, 2010 3:51 PM PDT

first time with internet@TV issue... hoping for timely resolution!

Collapse -
ME TOO!
by rpsims / October 25, 2010 4:00 PM PDT

I also have a 50"Plasma 8 series PN50C8000. I too have the exact same issue you describe with a faulty MLB application update stuck on my screen.

Thank you for already contacting Samsung and saving me the aggravation of dealing with the apathetic arrogance of Samsung's support.

Repair your damn MLB 2/1 application update error Samsung!!!!

Thanks Bencstast!

Collapse -
mlb.tv
by dinaros / October 25, 2010 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: ME TOO!

pn63c7000 same problem. I deleted most of the apps but still same problem. Emailed Samsung support. Hopefully will find a resolution to this dilemna. I noticed this all started on the 25th. I will post whatever I find out and If someone else hears of the solution please post it here. I think Samsung needs to get rid of this update or revise it.

Dinaros in Houston

Collapse -
here is my chat with samsung
by bmondgock / October 25, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Kate'

Kate: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Bob: I just got a 58 inch plasma and am getting a "service update" problem with mlb.tv

Bob: my app screen freezes

Bob: i am not the only one as i just read of other problems exactly the same..

Kate: Could you tell me the model number of the TV?

Bob: here is a post from cnet's forum that explains the problem exactly model number pn58c6400tf

Kate: So you are unable to access the apps on the screen?

Bob: here is the post of the exact problem...please read it...

Bob: I have had a 50" Plasma 8 Series - PN50C8000 for several months now. Tonight, getting ready to watch Hulu+, I pressed "Internet@TV" and went into the apps section. Almost immediately, a box comes on the screen that says, "Internet@TV Needs to be updated. Update is starting." The update starts whether you press OK or not, the are apparently pushing this MLB app out to us before the World Series. Right after that, a box appears that says "Service Update," and MLB.TV (2/1) Installing service... Nothing else happens after that. Notice that it says (2/1), not (1/2). I'm betting this update thing has a misconfigured XML file out there somewhere. Because of this, I can't use Netflix, Hulu, any of my apps unless I can get to them in the second before this box comes up and freezes everything up. Got online with Samsung Service and they said: 1) This is not an issue 2) No one else has complained (let me be the first) 3) It's a firewall problem and the TV must not be behind a firewall if I want it to work Per their instructions, I reset the entire TV, made sure the firmware was up to date, reset Samsung Apps, plugged directly to my cable modem, reset cable modem and TV, checked internet connection (it was good), and tried again. Nothing, same problem. He was insistent it was my firewall even though the thing has worked fine with all updates for months and I'm now connected directly to the cable modem. Eventually he said he couldn't help me and it was my problem. I'm hoping there are many of us having this problem that can post "me too" here, as I've noticed Samsung watches this thread and they sometimes fix issues when they are posted here. Thanks!

Bob: Please keep in mind that I have a model number pn58c6400tf

Kate: Give me few minutes while I go thorough it

Bob: thank you

Kate: You're welcome.

Bob: there are other people with this problem that started last night

Bob: i bought this tv sunday

Kate: Have you tried updating the firmware on the TV to check if it works properly?

Kate: Okay.

Bob: how do i update it

Kate: Are you facing any other issues other than the apps?

Bob: no....tv is wonderful...the problem is that the mlb.tv app which i didn't order is locking up just like the message says

Kate: OKay.

Kate: Follow the link given below to download and update the firmware on the TV(USB type):

Kate: http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=US&CttFileID=2989673&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=C&ModelName=PN58C6400TFXZA&VPath=FM/201010/20101015160303937/T-VALAUSC.exe

Kate: Download the firmware file to a PC>

Kate: Unzip the file and move the files to a folder.

Kate: Then move the folder to a USB drive and connect the USB to the TV.

Kate: Which updates the firmware, and the update takes 15-20 minutes to complet.

Bob: my tv has a menu to either upgrade via usb or look online by itself

Kate: Try updating the firmware using a USB by following the link given above.

Kate: Also follow the instructions given below the link to update.

Bob: i don't have a usb drive. if your sure this will work i'll go buy one . has this fixed the issue on other complaints?

Kate: Yes, it will fix the issue once you update the firmware.

Bob: ok...i will do this later today

Kate: if you need further assitance you can contact our apps support at:1-888-899-7609 Mon. - Sun. 9am - Midnight (EST).

Bob: downloading the file now...does this file have a date on it?

Kate: No, it will not have any date on it, however it's a latest firmware.

Bob: are there any notes that this file fixed the exact problem?

Bob: the file is being downloaded while we are chatting

Kate: Yes the firmware update will fix the issue when ever there's an issue with the TV.

Bob: ok..if your ears burn later today, it is me with an angry face...just so you know..thanks

Kate: I understand your concern, if you need further assitance you can contact our apps support at:1-888-899-7609 Mon. - Sun. 9am - Midnight (EST).

Kate: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Bob: tv should come with a usb drive...seems like a necessity just to use the tv

Bob: 2000 grand and the tv works 1 day and user has to fix it...imagine if i wasn't computer literate and couldn't do it

Kate: Yes, the TV will have a USB port on it, you should not use the USB drive that comes with the TV.

Bob: the tv didn

Bob: come with a drive

Bob: r u sure this will work and that the reported issue last night was fixed in the new firmware?

Kate: Yes it will fix the issue once the firmware is updated.

Bob: thats why i wanted the date of the firmware...when i upgrade it online as i just did same problem even after rebooted...i didn't mean to not listen but file is 41% here now and am trying...

Bob: i did it while we chatted

Kate: The download will take some time depending up on the internet speed.

Kate: Is there anything else that I can assist you with.

Bob: now when i try to upgrade the firmware online it responds with "no software to upgrade currently"

Bob: so it installed the latest and the tv knows it...isn't there a way to view the version and confirm it is up to date? i think every update has a version number

Kate: If you are unable to update it online, try to update using a USB drive.

Kate: The latest firmware version is ver.1030.1.

Bob: how do i view it on the tv?

Kate: To check the Firmware version, follow the below instructions.

Kate: 1. Press the Menu button on the remote control.

Kate: 2. Go to Setup. On the setup Menu, select SW Upgrade.

Kate: 3. Press and hold the Info button on the remote control for a while. The firmware version appears at the bottom of the screen.

Bob: it has the same version as what you typed above...up to date

Bob: meaning that it is up to par with the latest with the same filename as the download

Kate: Please reset the TV to factory default and then access the apps and check if it works properly.

Bob: how do i reset it?

Kate: Please unplug all the cables including the power cable from the unit and replug them after 30 seconds.

Kate: Are you done resetting the TV?

Bob: yup...wait

Bob: same problem

Kate: As a basic support we are done with the possible troubleshooting.

Kate: Please contact our apps support who will assist you further to fix the issue at:1-888-899-7609 Mon. - Sun. 9am - Midnight (EST).

if anybody gets an answer please respond

Collapse -
I have a version of the same problem
by erickson_t / October 25, 2010 10:21 PM PDT

I installed the Samsung wireless adapter into my PN58C8000 TV last night. I successfully connected to the internet and downloaded the latest firmware for the C8000. Then I tried setting up Internet@TV. At first everything seemed to be working. Then I received the same update message you mentioned, with the same forcing of the apparent download/installation even without me pressing OK. In my case, the install for the MLB app apparently succeeded because an install for Yahoo began, first with a 3/3, and then to a 4/3 indicator. At this point it stuck. Only the exit or return buttons could remove the dialog box from the screen, but that of course took me out of Internet@TV. Each time I re-entered Internet@TV the same sequence of events occurred, culminating in a dialog box with a fully blue download bar indicating a Yahoo install 4/3. I tried resetting the separate Yahoo feature of the TV a few times, but it did not change this problem with Internet@TV.

Samsung! Please recognize this is a real problem with your products, and fix it.

Collapse -
One more thing
by erickson_t / October 25, 2010 10:28 PM PDT

In reading my post, I feel I was not perfectly clear on this point: I did get the MLB app forced on me, but its install completed in seconds, followed by an immediate transition to installing the Yahoo updates identified as 3/3 and 4/3.

Collapse -
Just bought the PN50C8000...have same problem
by ecgreen / October 26, 2010 12:00 AM PDT

I plugged it in, all updates ran successfully including new firmware. There were MLB.TV updates that appeared to complete successfully. But now, when I try to use Internet@TV feature, I get the EXACT same problem from above. Great description! Fix it Samsung.

Collapse -
I mean I bought a PN63C8000...not a 50...
by ecgreen / October 26, 2010 12:09 AM PDT

I mean I bought a PN63C8000...not a 50...

Collapse -
SAMSUNG!
by AudioTechOK / October 26, 2010 2:28 AM PDT

I work in a retail store in Lawton OK, we sell the new line of Samsung tvs and since yesterday we haven't been able to demo the internet TVs because of this annoying update flaw. Anyone who finds resolution please update!

I have hard reset the tv (unplug and wait 5 min), reset through the settings, performed firmware update all to no avail.

Thanks for the thread. Keep it going.

Collapse -
possible solution-so far works on mine...
by dinaros / October 26, 2010 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG!

So far so good with the following instructions. Had to redo my internet connection and Netflix but so far is not locking up on the MLB.TV. This reverts your TV back to square one. All your settings will have to be re-entered but it seems to work.
Dinaros.

??? ???
???
???
Dear Gary,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With reference to your email, we understand that you are experiencing an issue with the TV while updating the
firmware.

To fix the issue, we recommend you reset the TV and re-update the firmware.

To reset the TV to factory defaults, you need to press and hold the Exit button on the remote control for 15
seconds.

If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Samsung Online Support.

Follow Samsung Service on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
product was purchased.

Below is the link to visit the Samsung website for various Countries:

http://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitcountrysite.html

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you require any further information, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Samsung Online Support.

Follow Samsung Service on: Facebook Twitter YouTube

The information was useful to me
Satisfied 5 4 3 2 1
Not Satisfied

* Please do not reply back to this email message as this email address is used for
outbound messages only.
* If you are not satisfied with the answer we provided, please click here
* if you have a question on another product, click here
???

???
Service update lock up.
When I go to internet a service update MLB.TV comes up, says installing service but does nothing happens. The large line underneath turns blue but stays there.

???

Collapse -
MLB.TV update freeze
by jma332 / October 26, 2010 3:24 AM PDT

Full factory reset (hold Exit button on remote for 30 sec.) worked for me.
I had to reset all my network settings and go through the initial Plug and Play wizard...but after than no issues.

Collapse -
MLB.TV update freeze
by btpearlman / October 26, 2010 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: MLB.TV update freeze

Has anyone else tried this complete reset? Frankly, having gone through the set-up procedure several times since I bought my PN50C8000 in May, it is getting very tiresome. Samsung needs to get their act together....including their need for faster internet service.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 26, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

All,

I apologize for the delay in responding to this (quickly!) growing topic. We are aware of the issue, and are working quickly to resolve it.

At this time, concerning some of the posts regarding resetting the TV, it's not necessary to do so unless you're experiencing a complete lockout, even after power down.

If you need assistance in performing a full reset, I'll be happy to post how to do that. Since it wipes out any adjustments to picture and audio settings, it should be done as a last resort.

As far as I know, all the other Apps are in working order. If that's not the case, please let me know.

I understand the frustration of some here, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We are working to fix it. Please be patient as we work on delivering the full capabilities of this App.

--HDTech

Collapse -
my brand new (bought this past sunday)
by bmondgock / October 26, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

586400 Plasma...Read my post above. I'll be home soon and need contact info for you personally..

Message was edited by: Lee Koo (ADMIN) 10/26/2010 2:55PM to remove email address to prevent abuse and spam harvesters from picking it up.

Collapse -
my brand new (bought this past sunday)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 26, 2010 7:49 AM PDT

bmondgock,

I don't provide contact information for me personally, and recommend that people don't post their email addresses, since people harvest these sites for SPAM. (I'll request yours be removed for that reason, and if you post it again, I'll let it stay - not trying to censor, but protect).

I can see the chat above was a bit misdirected, and I apologize for that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Apps MLB Freezes Internet@TV explained
by fmaniac / October 26, 2010 11:04 AM PDT

I had the same problem with MLB.TV service upgrade. i finally found a tech in Tier 2 that informed me the problem was that it was released too soon and it will take them several more days to correct

Collapse -
mlb.tv service update freezes
by pipeandwire / October 26, 2010 8:07 AM PDT

had the issue, after chatting live and on phone with samsung THEY WERE ABSOLUTELY NO HELP. 1 wanted me to wait for a couple hours and try again and the second suggested letting it install for 30 minutes. HERES THE FIX -
" 1st) unplug tv for 5 minutes - 2nd) hold exit button on remote for 20-30 seconds, it will ask to do reset select yes - 3rd) after restart go into INTERNET-SETTINGS-SYSTEM SETUP then RESET there. 4) power off power on.
IT WORKED FOR ME AND IS HOLDING, GOOD LUCK ALL

Collapse -
Samsung TV apps internet a service update MLB.TV appeared
by sarbzapra / October 27, 2010 4:08 AM PDT

i temporarily open firewall on my router and started Internet@TV..... guess what... it went away.... i closed my firewall again and checked its working now.... but SAMSUNG have to find a fix for this thing... its so anoying....
Even the Youtube functions (playlists & subscriptions) and Netflix (Find by Gener or search) functions are way behind than PANASONIC... they would have to at least match them.... i dont know how SAMSUNG is number one in TVs...

Collapse -
That was the fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2010 4:21 AM PDT

Time after time I've had to relax, remove the firewall. It would be a great discussion why there is no issue here. And nothing to fix.
Bob

Collapse -
by bencstast / October 27, 2010 8:40 AM PDT

Update from the original poster:

I tried the reset the whole TV method listed above, and so far, it's worked.

However, please note you will lose all your saved logins for the apps. I was able to enter them all EXCEPT for the samsung apps ID. I don't remember it and Samsung has no way to recover it. If it's my Samsung web site login, I can't see any way to enter the "@" from my email address using the TV remote. So unbelievably frustrating!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2010 10:52 AM PDT

bencstast,

Rather than doing a full reset, for those about to try, instead go through the Plug and Play setup, which also resets the TV, but to a lesser degree so that you might not have to lose your settings.

The @ sign is something you'll need to shift through, and you can do that usually by pressing the - button, to the left of the 0. Press it a few times and it will scroll though a couple of options for button assignments.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Forever updating
by jbohn / December 10, 2010 3:53 PM PST

I just got the BD-C6500T Bluray player today and every time I go into Internet@TV it tells me there are updates. It appears to be updating the same things over and over. Sometimes it goes through and updates and then I can continue. But most of the time it gets stuck on updating USA Today. I left it on for a few hours and came back and it had closed Internet@TV and when I reopened it there was updating again but this time it worked. But each time I close it and reopen it updates again.

I have the latest firmware installed as well.

Collapse -
Forever updating
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 13, 2010 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Forever updating

jbohn,

I would recommend resetting your unit. You'll have to re-download the Apps again, but it seems like there's something holding up the process.

Initially, a few updates are normal, and should take typically less than 10 minutes. But if it's re-loading the same updates within a half hour or several times a day, then it may need to be reset.

Press and hold the STOP button with the unit powered ON and the disc tray empty. Then, keep the tray empty and connect to the Internet again, and launch Internet@TV. See if you can install the initial updates with the tray empty, power off the unit, and then power it on again.

After that, it should be working without constant updates. (but it will still occasionally updates widgets, as the widget owners are continually supporting their Apps)

--HDTech

Collapse -
Stalling on Yahoo
by onzey / December 15, 2010 5:55 PM PST
In reply to: Forever updating

My TV is a UE46C7000. Just managed to get internet@TV actually responding again (don't know how and I've yet to update other threads I'm active in) but it's getting stuck in the "Service Update on Yahoo (2/1) installing service...". The line is solid blue but just sits there so can't use anything else anyway and can only exit internet@TV altogether.
Is there a way to prevent updtaes so that I can at least get access to something e.g. BBC iplayer?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.