Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Anynet+ switching input modes when tv is turned on.

by luvnlife! / November 12, 2008 8:04 AM PST

Hello,

I run Bell Expressvu satellite (PVR) and have a Samsung HT-AS720S receiver with a 46" Samsung LCD 530 (Series 5) connected via hdmi cables (1.3).

I have Anynet+ turned on and working on both devices. When I turn on the TV within 5-10 seconds, the receiver automatically switches from input 'SAT HDMI2' to 'SAT OPTIC2' or 'CD OPTIC2'. Of course this results in a black screen with no audio. We then have to press the input mode each time to get the receiver back to 'SAT HDMI2'.

We do not use the TV speakers, we only use the Receiver for audio. When I disable Anynet+ this problem doesn't occur, but of course without it on, I then cannot use the volume control on the satellite remote as it turns up the TV, not the receiver.

Any idea's?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Anynet+ switching input modes when tv is turned on.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Anynet+ switching input modes when tv is turned on.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anynet
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2008 8:56 AM PST

luvinlife!,

How is your setup configured? Is the HDMI going through the receiver or through the television? My recommendation would be to hook an Anynet+ device up directly to another Anynet+ device.

I might suggest running everything directly to the television and then run your optical audio from the television to the receiver.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Setup
by luvnlife! / November 12, 2008 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: Anynet

Thanks for the quick reply.

My TV (HDMI IN 1) is connected directly to my receiver with an HDMI cable (HDMI OUT Monitor). They are both Anynet+ devices, so they are connected together. My satellite and PS3 plug directly into my receiver both via HDMI.

I don't use any optical cables, just the 3 HDMI cables in total. If I run everything to the TV, then I wouldn't get the surround sound through the receiver.

Collapse -
Okay, mapped out...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2008 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Setup

I had to map out your configuration on paper (I always do that regardless of the simplicity), and I see what's going on.

The short answer: You need an optical cable running from the television to your Home Theater system. The television is able to decode 2.0 signals via HDMI, but not 5.1 signals. Naturally, you have the ability to enjoy 5.1 signals (via ATSC or QAM regardless if you watch OTA signals), which can be transferred through the optical cable. The HT-A720 is programmed to switch to that Optical2 audio input for that reason. There's no way to disable it in the HT-A720 or select a different default audio input. I checked, double checked, and that's the design.

I found an online tutorial for setting up an Anynet+ enabled television with Anynet+ enabled Home Theater system. It will actually notes that you'll need this cable. Without that connection connected, it will by default go to the blank screen you're describing.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/popup/howToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=1060&howto_guide_step_no=1&type=televisions&subtype=&model_nm=

That should solve the problem. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Update
by luvnlife! / November 13, 2008 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Okay, mapped out...

Thanks for all your efforts in mapping this out and looking into the resolution for me, I can't thank you enough! You wouldn't believe the pain and time I went through calling into the customer support, they wanted me to ship my receiver in for repair, so your update is way better.

I was thinking about this problem last night and it seemed to relate only to the Anynet+, so I decided to program my Harmony 550 remote with all my devices and see what happened. Sure enough with a few hours of tweaking and customizing all the buttons, it worked perfectly. So as of now everything is functioning as I was hoping. The remote turns on the tv, receiver and satellite all at the same time an it remains on 'SAT HDMI2', it doesn't switch to 'SAT OPTIC2'.

With that said, I'm relatively new to the HDMI and 5.1 technology, so would adding this optical cable between the tv and receiver improve the quality of sound? I thought all I needed was HDMI, I had no idea I'd need any other cables.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful!

Collapse -
Hey, not bad.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2008 11:20 AM PST
In reply to: Update

I'm glad it worked out.

HDMI does support 5.1 surround if both units are capable of transmitting 5.1 via HDMI (and most today ARE). The physical television (assuming no other devices are hooked up) has stereo speakers, thus the 2.0 limitation for the encoding inputs for HDMI *into* the television. Optical is the exception for that specific application.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear you found a solution. Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Happy Let me know if I can help with anything else.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by luvnlife! / November 13, 2008 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Hey, not bad.

Ok, I agree. I'm leaving it as it is and writing down the settings... Happy

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Actually...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 14, 2008 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

What would it be to note what kind of Harmony Remote you have, and what you did to make it work without an optical cable? It doesn't have to be a crazy amount of detail, but even a general overview with a few details?

Those cables aren't necesssarily cheap, and I'm always ready to entertain a workaround for people to attempt. It's always neat to have another option.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Work around
by luvnlife! / November 14, 2008 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Actually...

Sure thing... I'll put something together over the weekend and post the summary for future reference.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thanks too
by WingingItDaily / November 23, 2008 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Work around

I just purchased a Samsung HT-AS720S surround sound receiver and speakers. They go good our Samsung 40" LN-T4071F and Panasonic Blu Ray DMP-BD10A player. I used your setup to connect my HD cablebox. It was a frustrating couple of hours of HD channels only, pictures but no sound on the lower channels, sound on all channels but no pictures, etc. My wife found this forum and presto change-o I ended up connecting the TV direct to the cable box via HDMI and ran an optical cable out from the TV to the surround receiver. Works like a champ. The HDMI to the Blu Ray worked with no problems. The receiver recognizes when the cable connection is running and changes over to OPTIC. The nice part, it shuts the speakers on the TV off so I do not get any echo.

Collapse -
Anynet+ Help
by artwookie / December 23, 2008 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Update

I'm having the same trouble and the entire family is frustrated because we simply want to turn on tv and have picture & sound. It takes 15 min each time just to get the whole system back to the previous setting.

I have all samsung components. Series 8 TV, receiver, blu-ray. Only using HDMI no optical. It always defaults to SAT Optical. Need to default to SAT HDMI2. Arrggg.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Setup?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 24, 2008 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: Anynet+ Help
Collapse -
help w samsung system
by stevekw--2008 / August 6, 2009 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup?

OK have a :
Samsung LN46B750
Samsung HT AS730ST
Samsung BD 3600
Cable Box
All HDMI

When I switch unit on (Cable-TV-Reciever (I never use TV speakers)) the reveiver starts at SAT then within 10 second or so switches to DVD-CD setting. Can I get the system to stay in the SAT mode?

Do I need a audio cable from TV to Reciever? The directions with the reciever indicate I do, but what is the function?

Thanks

Collapse -
logitech 550 and samsung anynet problems
by paratwa48 / August 9, 2009 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: help w samsung system

I think one of the worst things Samsung did was to disable the volume control if you turn off the internal speakers. My old JVC tv would still allow me to use the tv's volume even though it was hooked into my HT receiver. The fact that it does not allow that function has caused me all kinds of problems with my wife. I use a harmony 550 remote to control everything, but like everyone else on this topic I to am having problems getting my Samsung TV to go to the correct input when changing from DVD to TV. I have anynet turned on, so when I put in a dvd it automatically switches my tv to the dvd input. But when I am finished watching the DVD and I want to watch TV, that's when the problem happens. It WILL NOT change back to the TV input. I have to manually change the input. My wife yells at me every time she finishes a movie.

I have called and emailed Logitech's support with no solution. I have even gone to their forums for help, still no solution.

I was told to turn off the anynet function of my Samsung products by logitechs support staff, but I like the fact that I don't have to tell the tv that the DVD is starting. I just want the anynet function to know that the dvd is turned off and to switch back to the tv input. I thought that was the whole point of anynet, that they are supposed to communicate with each other.

Samsung TV LN-46A550P3F
Samsung DVD DVD-1080P8

Collapse -
Any net has bugs
by scottchez / August 9, 2009 11:21 AM PDT

I agree, the Anynet design has bugs. They did not seem to ask what the customer whats.

Myself I have the Samsung BD1250 Blue Ray HomeTheater.

It will turn off when you turn the TV off. I wont ever turn back on when you turn the TV on leaving you with NO sound.

You have to switch over to the BD1250 mode on your remote and manually turn it on.

Seems like an easy fix with a firmware update if they would just do it.

I notice other home theater sets from other brands auto turn on and off.
Even the Samsung Sound bar will auto on and off.

Collapse -
really???
by jdoe44 / August 14, 2009 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup?

I have basically the same setup as the original poster (I would assume this is a pretty typical installation).

So in order to not have to use 2 remotes (one to change channels and one to adjust volume) my options are:

According to this guide, use an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, and plug the HDMI output from the satellite box directly into the TV, rather than have everything plug into the receiver and a single HDMI cable to the TV (which is very nice as my TV is mounted on a brick fireplace and hiding the cables is a challenge).

Or

Go buy a universal remote and turn off Anynet+.

All because I can't change the default setting from 'SAT OPTIC2' to 'SAT HDMI2'?

Please tell me I'm either wrong, or that Samsung has plans to support this setup.

Collapse -
New Firmware
by scottchez / August 15, 2009 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: really???

The design is just not right. It should tie into the TV so you NEVER need to switch remote modes or use a 2nd remote.

I think they could fix this with a firmware update if they wanted to.
I know this for a fact as other Brands and models work. They should take feed back from the customer and then make an update and I do not mean update it with next years model. Update the current model.

Collapse -
Absolutely correct!
by paratwa48 / August 15, 2009 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: New Firmware

I agree with you 100%. Samsung needs to fix what they messed up.

Collapse -
Similar issue
by mecha2040 / March 7, 2012 11:10 AM PST
In reply to: Anynet

I have a Samsung 3d 60" LED tv connected to a 3d Samsung receiver, I'm ussing a logitech universal remote control Harmony 1100, when I turn on the devices they all turn on, the problem is that the receiver sends the input from Satellite to TV, why?? How can I fix this problem, is just making me nuts!!!

Collapse -
After 5-8 seconds the mysterious switch
by itzme1234 / May 31, 2011 4:52 AM PDT

I found this old post and am experiencing the same problem. Anynet is working great EXCEPT when I first turn on my system, when it starts to play my desired HDMI2, but for some reason, after a few seconds, it switches my audio to TV/SAT. I have to manually put it back. Has anyone or Samsung ever come up with a solution to this apparently old problem?

Collapse -
having the same problem
by calichomp / October 26, 2011 3:19 AM PDT

I would like to know how to resolve this.

Collapse -
What about ARC?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 3:21 AM PDT

I am seeing ARC as "nice when it works." The rest of the time I have to add an optical cable and in fact, 100% of the time.

The makers have work to do here.
Bob

Collapse -
arc works fine
by calichomp / October 26, 2011 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: What about ARC?

@itzme1234:The ARC actually works briliiantly. Just make sure your receiver supports it and you plug in the the correct HDMI input which supports ARC. For the the UN55D6050, HDMI2 supports ARC while HDMI1 does not. Also in this case the receiver shouldbe set to TV/CD. However, for me this is the exception; not the rule.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: arc works fine
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.