Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 7000 series 55" 3-D LED screen blacks out

by jdat5 / January 25, 2011 10:33 AM PST

I recently purchased this tv 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed the screen blacks out (for a second...I can still hear audio)when using my Blu-Ray and Netflix. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 7000 series 55" 3-D LED screen blacks out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 7000 series 55" 3-D LED screen blacks out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Info
by jdat5 / January 25, 2011 10:40 AM PST

Some more info (if it helps):
Our Blu-Ray is connected using a Forest HDMI cable(w/ Ethernet, Audio Return & 3D) from BestBuy.
Netflix streams using the Samsung wireless adapter.

Collapse -
change cable
by Lmitcn1234 / February 1, 2013 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: More Info

I had this problem with samsumg tv blacking out for a second regularly. Problem was cheap cable not coping
changed it for this 2M PRO GOLD HDMI CABLE V1.4a LCD/PS3/LED/SKY/HDTV/3D/4K cable
and have not had the problem since. Got cable alot cheaper on that well known Auction site we all know and love

Collapse -
Samsung 7000 series 55" 3-D LED screen blacks out
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 27, 2011 5:20 AM PST

jdat5,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your TV and Netflix.

For Netflix, it may be how the rebuffering occurs. With the newer firmware updates, if the bandwidth changes speeds (either Internet or your home network), the TV will automatically readjust the picture and "switch the picture" based on available bandwidth.

For Blu-Ray, this is a little more of an oddity. I might suggest seeing if a different resolution to the TV helps, or if swapping out the cable changes the frequency. Some "black out" would be like static on analog sets. I can't explain every instance where it might occur, but if it's happening frequently, then it may require further investigation.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem: Screen Blinks/Blacks Out UN55C8000 3D TV
by justinkitaro / January 27, 2011 7:24 AM PST

This is very frustrating. My TV blinks (screen only goes black for a split second or two) mostly when streaming movies from netflix. It completely went black screen when streaming movies from amazon. I have the 20mbps with comcast and this happens with a wired or wireless connection to my samsung TV. I have contacted Samsung multiple times about this and each time they say they have never heard of this problem (what about the past 5 support chats I've had with them?). I have tried resetting the TV and even exchanging the TV thinking I had got a lemon. Both tv's have had the problem so chances are its more a common glitch that samsung refuses to acknowledge or they had a bad batch of tv's. Regardless its frustrating that I can find no fix for this issue and that samsung claims they have no knowledge of it. For a $2500.00 TV it should work flawlessly. My cheap vizio tv has wifi built in and works flawless, if vizio can make it work why can't a big company like samsung. GRRRRRRRRR......

Here is a link I found that shows my exact problem http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgj8h6_samsung-netflix-blink-issue_tech

Also please see this other cnet forum to help make samsung aware of this issue: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-515148.html

Collapse -
Screen Blacks Out
by jdat5 / January 27, 2011 7:58 AM PST

I have that exact same problem as shown on the dailymotion link...I have noticed this happens every 10-30 seconds! Thanks for sharing that.

Collapse -
Did you call it in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2011 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Screen Blacks Out

That's a great one to call in as it's severe. Be sure to get your tracking number.

Collapse -
Samsung 7000 3d Blacks out for Seconds
by hiddenshores / February 23, 2011 12:51 AM PST

Purchased Samaung 3d TV in Dec from Best Buy. Noticed immediately that was blacking out for seconds and turned itself off once but came back on when turned back on. Talked to manager at Best Buy and they had never heard of this but agreed to exchange TV. Got new one 2/15/11 and it does the same thing. Turned itself off this AM and had to be turned back on and is still blacking out for seconds. Have had DISH reset but still have the problem. Samsung definitely has a problem. TV has beautiful picture but this should not be hsppening. What is Sumsung going to do about this?

CWells

Collapse -
Sorry to hear that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2011 2:19 AM PST

If it does it on all HDMI sources (not just the dish) then it's a defect. If it's just the dish then something is amiss in that area (part A does not work with part B).

I know consumers do not want to discuss how HDMI works but this is one of the areas you run into now and then. You see cable and dish and other boxes being changed out or the firmware in the HDTV or boxes changed.

The days of it just worked appear to be long gone.
Bob

Collapse -
Same BS
by AngryCblGuy / April 22, 2011 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry to hear that.

I have the same tv (55" 3D 7000 series) it seems to happen on all HD formats. It happens on my PS3 and any HD formats on my CBL box. I have yet to see it on the 480 formats from my Set-top box. this seems like a bigger problem than just a few sets. I have also read about similar problems on the 8000 series, is there a fix if so what is it???????

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2011 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Same BS

HDCP re-authenticatiing and causing a blink continues to be the lead suspect. Here's a test I can to that leads credence to that. Hook up with component video at 1080 and it rarely fails. Here it's perfect. Since HDCP is a dark art and companies won't open source and work together it appears we are in for a long wait for it to be perfected.

More at http://www.google.com/search?&source=hdcp&q=hdcp+blink

Collapse -
Samsung 7000 series 55" 3D Blackout streaming netflix
by pedalquickly / August 4, 2011 12:17 PM PDT

I have the same TV and it also blacksout when streaming Netflix. I am hardwired to my network (not wireless). It is so freaking annoying for a high end TV that I just bought a week ago. I would return it but it sounds like problem with Samsung. COME ON SAMSUNG, PLEASE PROVIDE A FIX FOR THIS!!!

Collapse -
Please call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2011 12:42 PM PDT

Get it on record and keep a log with those transaction numbers.

Be sure to read all the posts about this and also, ask the author of the App (Netflix) to fix it too.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed mine!!!!!!!!
by AngryCblGuy / August 4, 2011 2:28 PM PDT

Was talking to one of my customers with the same TV he said his did it too. He told me to reset the TV to factory setting then do a firmware upgrade. His has been fine since. So i Tryed it abt 1 or 2 months ago and mine has not done it since. Seems like the fix give it a try although i havent streamed on netflix. So not sure abt that. I imagine it was all the same problem

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.