Samsung forum

Question

Samsung 7.7 Update Help?

by seabromd / November 6, 2012 2:06 AM PST

Hey all,
Looking for help updating my 7.7 3g tablet manually. I bought it in Amsterdam while on vacation, but live in Canada.
I followed directions and manually updated it to ICS successfully, but now the wifi cuts out intermittently and the ebook app is broken too. Everything else looks okay, but I can't figure out how to fix those two issues.
Any suggestions? Either maybe updating it again and doing it better, or fixes?

Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 7.7 Update Help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 7.7 Update Help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd ask how to go back to stock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 3:26 AM PST

The number of posts in forums like this have me writing "go back."

Collapse -
huh?
by seabromd / November 6, 2012 7:37 AM PST

I'm a bit confused about your response. Are you suggesting I simply go back to the factory issued operating system? I know how to do that... I'd prefer a working ICS or newer. Even better would be finding a way to consistently keep it updated.

Collapse -
Let me write it plainly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: huh?

Go back to what worked.

I know folk want Ice Cream, Jelly Beans and more but if you are reading the Android Forums, little things like this mean we go back fast to what worked.
Bob

Collapse -
right...
by seabromd / November 7, 2012 3:34 AM PST

So as much as I appreciate your helpful insight... You're still not helping.
ICS is terrifically smooth and overall better working. I know I can reset to factory settings... Again... Other people have working tablets and if like to join that list of people.

Collapse -
I can't help. I'll spell out why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: right...

I'm not developing the apps. That's up to Samsung and Google and if you are following this issue you see others noting the issue and other replies saying go back as well as try other reader apps.

Sorry if you feel that I should be helping but as my app development is not a reader or specifically this title I can't do more than repeat the same old advice.
Bob

Collapse -
by seabromd / November 7, 2012 6:00 AM PST

I feel the confusion here is the forum I'm using... I thought I was in a general Samsung help forum. I thought users contributed their wisdom in general... Evidently it's one person with a particular skill set. I'll look elsewhere for help.

Collapse -
Did you contact Samsung?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: reply

In the USA it's 1800SAMSUNG and there is a post at the top of the forum. This gives you 2 more places to check.

I shared what I've learned about this issue, It seems I've upset you and all I can offer is I'm sorry., Once in awhile folk think or demand a fix where there is not one today,
Bob

Collapse -
Tried Samsung
by seabromd / November 12, 2012 11:54 PM PST

Thanks for the reply. You haven't upset me, this just isn't the forum for me to find the help I'm after.

I have contacted Samsung, and they replied that I can only update the device in the country where I bought it. They claim there is absolutely no other way (though I find that a little bit curious since they release official updates made available for manual install).

Again, I'm working on this in another forum, but I appreciate your efforts.

Collapse -
Thanks for that and please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Tried Samsung

I know it's asking a lot but if you could, please tell the forum how it turns out.

So far I'm finding when it comes to Android devices, the makers have done the same as Dell and Windows. If a piece is broke or fails in the OS or an app they don't write then they appear powerless.

Android looks to be the new Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by seabromd / December 11, 2012 3:27 AM PST

Hey,
Just as an update, I managed to get a working mod for my tablet. I installed the cyanogenmod 10 which is supposedly Jelly Bean. It works terrifically well at this point and does not have the WiFi bug that plagued me.

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Update

Did Samsung issue this or supply the fix?
Bob

PS. Yes I know about that mod but it's not for everyone since support is not from the maker, may void the warranty, etc.

Collapse -
No
by seabromd / December 11, 2012 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for that.

No, as you mentioned this is a third party mod. Samsung told me they would never offer support or updates to tablets/devices that are outside their country if purchase.
My only option was a mod like this or to try to go back to the original shipped operating system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.