Samsung

General discussion

Samsung 650 Picture in Picture

by aharbeck83 / October 22, 2008 11:29 PM PDT

i recently purchased a Samsung 650 series and would like to know if it is possible to have the Picture in Picture running with two HDMI sources. I can only get it to work with one HDMI source and either cable or air for the second source; however, I do not have any device going to either the cable or air input.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 650 Picture in Picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 650 Picture in Picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PIP is one HDMI + one RF
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 23, 2008 6:58 AM PDT

Unfortunately, there is no dual HDMI PIP functionality.

Picture in Picture is limited to on HD source as the main input, and one RF source as the secondary input.

--HDTech

Collapse -
PIP
by greglieb / August 31, 2009 8:20 AM PDT

I just purchased Samsung 650 LCD. I have an HD cable box, from which my HDMI cable exits and goes to the TV. No problem. Awesome picture.

Can you explain to me, in detail, how to connect the other wires (from where to where) that are needed to allow for PIP to work? Do I need something other that my existing cable box? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Mine doesnt even work
by sdiddy407 / December 28, 2008 12:54 PM PST

I have an HDMI input and an Air signal available but the PIP is still grayed out in the menu, so i cant get it to work. How do i do this?

Collapse -
PIP Function
by kfpanda / December 28, 2008 2:03 PM PST
In reply to: Mine doesnt even work

I am assuming your HDMI input comes from a device with another tuner which is required for PIP. Make sure the device is powered on and you will see the PIP function available in the menu.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
PIP also not working
by nkcomms1 / December 28, 2008 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: PIP Function

I have the same problem - I have a Beyonwiz connected on HDMI1 and the internal tuner set up. I also get PIP greyed out.

Collapse -
Vchip disabled PIP
by sdiddy407 / December 29, 2008 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: PIP also not working

For me the problem was Vchip, once I disabled it PIP worked, unfortunetly there is only air or cable channels available not HDMI's but some people say they will release a firmware update for that. I'm not holding my breath! Good luck

Collapse -
Thanks
by nkcomms1 / December 29, 2008 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Vchip disabled PIP

Thanks for this - Turning off Child Lock did get PIP to work

Collapse -
Sub picture can only be NTSC via cable if provided
by SHELLBACK105 / February 24, 2009 6:54 AM PST

According to samsung techs the picture in picture only works with NTSC input of analog signals. What happens when the conversion to digital takes place this summer? These channels are avaliable as -1's on the a650 but not as the sub on pic in pic. So if I want to watch two football games on one screen I guess I will need a conversion box just to watch the sub pic in the same old NTSC format.I guess I could settle for the 8 frame mini pics on Direct T.V.'s football HD package.
Samsung says two HD tuners would cure the problem but would cost too much! Why not two ATSC tuners, one for the ANT.in connection. Is this possible?? Otherwise the set looks and performs great. The Touch of Color is barely noticeable at night and marginal in the day. All in all it seems to be an excellent buy so far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.