Samsung forum

Question

Samsung 55 Inch 8000 Series Half the Screen is defective

by boggiojo / February 9, 2013 3:26 AM PST

I have a 14 month old high end 55 inch 8000 series. For the first 13 months it was flawless, loved it. Recently half of the screen has a heavy yellow tint, it's unwatchable. I contacted Samsung, since it was a couple months out of warranty they redirected me to a local service provider. Their technician looked at the TV, did no tests whatsoever, and told me my best option would be to replace the TV. There was one new part that could fix it, but it would be low odds, and it likely needed a major repair and the price would be near the price of a new TV.

Has anyone else faced this situation? Had a better outcome?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 55 Inch 8000 Series Half the Screen is defective
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 55 Inch 8000 Series Half the Screen is defective
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
QUICK DO THIS!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 3:32 AM PST

In the USA when you register the set you get 3 more months warranty. Do that and your 14 month unit is well inside the 15 month warranty. Register it at samsung.com then call it in.

Should be like a neutron at that point. (no charge.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung 55 Inch 8000 Series Half the Screen is defective
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 11, 2013 2:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
I have the same issue
by mark78734 / February 18, 2013 1:45 AM PST

Upper half is slow in redrawing and shades of yellow making it unwatchable. There is also a bar on the bottom of the screen. Sometimes the issue just fixes itself for awhile but usually comes back. I asked Samsung for a one time warranty because the TV is 6 months out. Still waiting on a call back.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung 55 Inch 8000 Series Half the Screen is defective
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: I have the same issue
Collapse -
Thanks
by boggiojo / February 18, 2013 6:30 AM PST

The link to the Samsung Support facebook site doesn't seem to work. Do you get the same result if you call Samsung and escalate?

Collapse -
Samsung Facebook support WORKS!!!
by mark78734 / February 18, 2013 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I followed the link and sent in my request.

https://www.facebook.com/messages/samsungsupport

I had already contacted their 800 support and was issued a reference number with a request for a one time warranty for my problem. After a week waiting for a return call, I found out about the social media support team for Samsung and contacted them. Within 24 hours they said they would warranty the parts only. But when I received the Service Order Number they covered both the labor and parts! I am satisfied!

Now I'm also concerned that this is a common problem with the 55 LED 240hz bad *** Not so Smart TV. They might have issued a recall or at least bumped up the standard warranty to 4 or 5 years so we can get our moneys worth with this particular model.

Mark

Collapse -
No Response from Samsung
by boggiojo / February 20, 2013 9:46 PM PST

I've tried the Facebook channel, and their Samsumg.com support site. Every time I reach out to Samsumg they tell me that my issue has been escalated to Executive Support and I'll be hearing from them very soon. Days have gone by and I haven't heard anything. Either they have a huge que of broken product or their customer service strategy is to hope you just go away by making it so difficult to get support.

Collapse -
Re: No Response from Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2013 10:30 PM PST

Hi boggiojo,

I asked my contact who works on the Facebook page for Samsung support; I told her about your general issue and didn't recall you. Any chance you could give me a transaction number or something more to go on?

HD Tech

Collapse -
How to communicate on Facebook?
by boggiojo / February 21, 2013 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: How to communicate on Facebook?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 21, 2013 12:41 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by boggiojo / February 21, 2013 3:56 AM PST

That worked. For reference, I am using the Facebook Social Graph searching. It seems once that's activated that the URL you provided does not work. I had to use another browers, which didn't have Social Graph, and it worked. Thought you may want to know. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: No problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 21, 2013 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Hi boggiojo,

I'm using the same graph search on Chrome. Have been for weeks without issue. But glad to hear you got in touch.

On a side note and personal opinion, the graph search thing looks to be interesting. Once it allows you to search text from posts, while searching people who like dogs and cats in Detroit, MI who are male is interesting, it's not as useful to me as searching through text.

But that's just IMO...free of charge, of course. Happy

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung UN55D8000 display problems
by ggrosso / February 18, 2013 4:25 AM PST

I purchased my 55" Samsung 2 years ago and was very happy with it until December of 2012. When the TV is first turned on the display was 1/4 good along the bottom and 3/4 washed out on top. This corrected after the TV warmed up. This problem progressed so I contacted Samsung support. I was told since it was out of warranty I would have to get my expensive TV repaired on my own time and $$$. I went to the local "approved" Samsung repair center and explained the situation and showed them photos (very important). They said the issue is unfortunately common and directed me to contact Samsung again and try to push it up to the next level of support. This worked for a one time service call and part replacement. The service tech said the entire display needed to be replaced which Samsung covered. This is the good news. Bad news is the replacement display is two weeks old and has also FAILED! This does not bode well for Samsung quality. The replacement is covered by a 90 day warranty so a third display is on its way. Will this be the display that lasts 5-6 years? No clue at this point. Suggest looking at Panasonic plasma instead.

Collapse -
Samsung UN55D8000 display problems
by mark78734 / February 19, 2013 12:04 AM PST

This is my exact issue and the timing is identical. Samsung Online Media Support has issued me a warranty to fix my picture including parts and labor. I am extremely thankful. Now it seems we have a ticking picture time bomb that is just waiting to quit working again. I hope Samsung does something for those of us that were willing to spend $3500 on the latest technology they offer that didn't work out so well. I know they are listening. I am still committed to Samsung and know they will do right by us.
Mark Bradford

Collapse -
Problem Resolved!
by mark78734 / February 25, 2013 4:40 AM PST

After getting a hold of Samsung social media support on Facebook, my issues were resolved within a day. 30 minutes after my first post, they replied and requested my serial number. Same day I got confirmation they would cover my "parts" only. Next day they followed up with a order number and covered parts, labor, and in-home repair. It took a week for the part to arrive, and they showed up promptly this morning. Within 1 hour I had a new panel installed and my picture is perfect!

Thank you Samsung and all the Samsung people that assisted me. As before, I'll be buying Samsung products.
Mark Bradford

Collapse -
Re: Problem Resolved!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 12:47 AM PST
In reply to: Problem Resolved!

Hi mark78734,

I passed along your thanks. Happy

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Sad end to my story
by boggiojo / February 21, 2013 5:57 AM PST

I bought my TV from an online retailer, buysquad. I learned from Samsung that the TV was a refurbished unit and only had 90 days warranty. In none of my documentation does it say that, shady practices, avoid them. Lesson learned, do not buy from anyone other than Samsungs authorized resller list. Thanks Samsung for your help. Off to buy a new TV from an authorized reseller.

Collapse -
Answer
CLASS ACTION LAWSUITE MODEL #UN55D8000YFXZA

Hello,

I'm interested in starting a class action lawsuit for this issue. It seems to have affected many people with little or no resolution... If you own a Samsung LED TV Model #UN55D8000YFXZA or the like, and have experienced the Horizontal or vertical lines, flickering (Ghosting) or other such issues please contact me at samsungbrokentv@Gmail.com. If you have pictures, Receipts for repairs, Threads from Samsung tech support Chats, or other evidence that would be great!... Please include the date of purchase, the date of malfunction or issue, Any warranty/out of warranty, serial numbers and any actions that Samsung has taken to resolve the issue. You do not have to include your personal information, I just need a good e-mail address. Hopefully we will get this issue addressed.

Thanks for your time!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.