Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

Samsung 540 startup sound disable

by jlonstein / December 7, 2009 9:56 AM PST

I just got a new Samsung and I love it - except for the startup and turn off sounds. I see on the forum there is a way to disable these sounds on other models - is there a way to turn these off on the 540?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 540 startup sound disable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 540 startup sound disable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 540 startup sound disable
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2009 8:30 AM PST

jlonstein,

Page 25 addresses this, and the feature is called the "Melody"

Melody; Off / Low / Medium / High
A melody sound can be set to come on when the TV is powered On or Off.

It can be found in the SETUP Menu.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks - another question...
by jlonstein / December 9, 2009 2:46 AM PST

Do you ever want to simply type "read the manual you moron"? I was caught us looking for the setup menu which is somewhat mislabled on the screen. All on me. Fixed it - thanks.

Another question...with HDMI, the closed caption is not available. Is that correct and is there any way to get CC through the tv when using a HDMI hookup?

Collapse -
Thanks - another question...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 10, 2009 11:18 AM PST

jlonstein,

For the first question, not at all. Sometimes the simple answers are the most elusive, and this is a good example. Who would think to look for the term "melody" when describing "the startup sound"? Everyone calls it the "startup sound". Happy No worries.

For the second question, Closed Captioning was historically an analog transmission on top of another analog transmission. With the switch to digital, you can't play one digital transmission over another. So, the source content needs to process any closed captioning at the source, and then send that completed signal to the television.

Some cable/sat boxes may offer this feature (where broadcast), but for DVDs and Blu-Rays, you'll have to enable subtitles (where available) in the discs menu.

Does that help?

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.