Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 52' LCD TV will not turn on. (possable power supply)

by Sanchezs11 / December 12, 2009 10:50 AM PST

It seems I am experiencing a reoccurring problem that THOUSANDS of other Samsung TV owners are experiencing. The Tv will not power on and the red "stand by" light blinks and the TV clicks but will not power on. I've read that cheap capacitors are to blame but when I removed the cover they "looked" ok (i.e: no bulging or deformations.)

I went ahead and replaced the capacitors in hopes they would be the culprits and just to be on the safe side. Also, because they are very likely fail in the future.

After replacing all the capacitors and reassembling the TV, I tried to power the TV on but again, NOTHING. It is still showing the same symptoms and now, I do not know what to look into next.

Finally, I have contacted Samsung on SEVERAL occasions and they continue to reiterate that my warranty is expired and there is nothing they can do. Although, there are literally THOUSANDS of people experiencing the same problems with the same components. For me, It is absolutely unacceptable for a $3,000 TV to only last a few months or if your lucky, a couple years. I would be less bitter if what happened to my TV was a rare or unusual occurrence, but it proves to be more common than Samsung would like to acknowledge.

If anyone has ANY advice or recommendations it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Model # LN52A550

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 52' LCD TV will not turn on. (possable power supply)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 52' LCD TV will not turn on. (possable power supply)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 52' LCD TV
by Sanchezs11 / December 13, 2009 1:39 AM PST

Ideas, anyone?

Collapse -
Samsung 52' LCD TV solved.
by zamanmshah / February 19, 2010 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung 52' LCD TV

I got mine to work by jumping a micro fuse in the 'Thermal conductivity board'. This is a small board located at the center of the TV at the very top. It has a shield you have to remove first to access it. Disconnect it from the input cable and hold it close to a light source. For those with weak eyes, you will need a magnifying glass to see the fuse. It is a micro fuse labled 'S' on top. It looks like a 'lego' block, but is only 2 millimeters long. First check if it is shorted by using a multimeter across it ends. I did not know the amp of this fuse, so I jumped it by using two strands of wire from a regular speaker wire that I stripped. That is, I soldered both the ends of the fuse; a daunting task if you are not good at soldering. Use a narrow tip solder or you might damage something else.
Good Luck.

Collapse -
samsung help
by tina714-badtv / December 13, 2009 4:49 AM PST

I am a loyal customer & love my tv & have a lot of faith in your products but i feel that you have ripped me off! I purchased a 52" LCD tv a little over a year ago & now i am getting a horizontal bar on my tv that has multiple colors. I called and asked for help & you told me my warranty was only good for 1 year! the tv model is LN52A530P1FXZA. I purchased my tv in June of 08' & paid $3,300 for it. Now you are telling me that i should just BUY a new 1. You will not help diagnose the problem & tell me theres nothing that can be done! I have taken very good care of my tv & now an so stressed out and am out of $3,300! WOW ! I FIND IT UNBELIEVABLE that you guys do this to your loyal customers! How can you refuse to help & only thing you can tell me is to buy a new tv. If that is how you leave it I will never again buy anything samsung & you loose out on many loyal customers instead of TRYING to HELP! Bcareful when purcahsing. They REFUSE to help!!!!11

Collapse -
My tv won't turn on
by susanvoyles / December 13, 2009 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: samsung help

OK, now I am mad. I am having the same problem with a less than two year TV. I thought that it was an isolated problem that maybe a few people had but I see now (after and hour on the internet) that I am one of thousands experiencing the same thing. Also, I am so tired of having to purchase a product and "oh, by the way, if you actually want your product to work it will cost extra in the form of a Warranty." Why can't I buy an expensive product and have it actually work for the money I paid!?

I paid extra to get the Samsung b/c I did not want to have problems...I wanted to buy a quality TV and Samsung was the name that I heard repeatedly. I understand that a company can have problems with a product but a good company CANNOT ignore those problems and expect to stay in business. Word gets around. This is a pervasive problem and they need to step up and do the right thing for their customers.

SAMSUNG, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS?????

Collapse -
Samsung blues
by Ronaldoseven / April 27, 2011 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: My tv won't turn on

I have a similar problem, Though mine does not have the red light working at all, on a LN40A450C. Mine was working fine one night and next morning NOTHING! We got the TV as a Xmas gift. I called Samsung and they tell me it is out of warranty since may of 2009! It was not even purchased at that point in time. My guess is the old $50.00 fuse gag. I have had several TV's that were "junk" which I took home opened up the back and all they had was a blown fuse. SInce there is a chanch if my son finds the receipt that it will be under warranty and free to fix....so will it be obvious if I pull the back off and have a peek inside?

Collapse -
Samsung 52' LCD TV will not turn on
by meteorguy / June 6, 2012 11:17 AM PDT

I have a Samsung 52 LCD, LN52B540P8FXZC and the same problem occurs with my unit. I am able to get the unit to start up if I disconnect the power cord from th erear of the TV and reconnect it. This will correct the problem for a few days or weeks sometimes and only a day oter times. Not sure the true issue, but am still able to use the set. My unit is about 3 years old with only about one years worth of utilization as it is in a seasonal setting.

Collapse -
Sounds similar to that other issue. See link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2012 1:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.