Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 52" LCD TV black lines

by andywanger3 / September 30, 2009 7:14 AM PDT

I have owned the LCD tv for about two years and never had any issues. We recently moved and when the TV was reconnected, there are 2 or 3 really thin black lines on the left side of the screen. They run from the very top to bottom of the screen. They are only about a milimeter wide and they actually disappear after the TV has been on for 15-20 mins. I've tried using different HDMI cables, reconnecting the cable box, using different HDMI outputs, and tried the Blue Ray player. The lines appear everytime. I called Samsung's help line and they don't really seem to know what it is. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 52" LCD TV black lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 52" LCD TV black lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 57" with the same problems
by shanson10 / December 6, 2009 8:53 AM PST

Mine are also on the left side of the screen and dissapear after 20 minutes or so. Now there are actually lines on the right side, they start as black and then fade to red and the red doesn't go away. Have you had any luck finding a fix?

Collapse -
Samsung 52" LCD TV black lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2009 10:11 AM PST

Usually these symptoms appear after the unit has been on its face or laid down on its back. I'm not accusing or suggesting one way or another, but just making an observation. In some cases, it can gradually go away, but if the panel was affected by the electronics behind it, the damage may be permanent.

Collapse -
i didn't lay mine down
by tina714-badtv / December 10, 2009 4:12 AM PST

i am having the same problems except my lines are colored. I never layed my tv down it has been mounted since i bought it & from 1 day to the next this problem started. The lines will flicker & the tv trys to fix itself & sometimes they go away after a while & sometimes it doesn't. So why cant we get any help all i keep hearing is that your panel is PROBABLY broken & to buy a new 1. Your tv's are really pricey & they look great until the warrenty expires! its crazy!

Collapse -
Bad news!
by geoffuk / April 11, 2010 1:10 AM PDT

After putting up with the thin vertical lines on my Samsung LCD TV for a while, I finally had a service call under my extended warranty. The tech took one look and said "Your panel has gone. Nothing to be done except replace the panel $1,500 (I do not have to pay) or replace the TV. I am waiting to see what is suggested/offered.
I only had the TV 23 months and am a retiree on a fixed income. Are all LCD panels subject to this apparently common fault? Will I always need an extended warranty? They are expensive. Samsung will not reply to my written complaints.

Collapse -
Sadly, get used to it.
by m5james / October 25, 2010 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad news!

I've been browsing these forums for the past few weeks or so, and Samsung apparantly loves to play dumb about this, yet search these forums and you will literally find countless threads about this subject. I recently fixed my LN-T4061F that had powering issues by replacing the caps (found that fix on these forums), but now I'm still trying to get the lines to go away. Fortunately I only paid $170 for this TV and it's primary use is going to be in my garage. People can say what they want about cheap Vizio TV's, but all three of them have been been for 4yrs strong in our house without a single issue. I'm glad I didn't buy a "brand name" TV at full price like the guy did that I bought this POS from.

Collapse -
Class Action Suit / Better Business Bureau Action -
by Superchang / May 24, 2011 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly, get used to it.

I've seen enough cases of these horizontal lines occurring, along with strong statements about "never laying the unit down on it's side or on it's face" - I can attest to both personally. I have never moved, laid the unit down on either flat side, or shaken the unit in any way.

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2011 8:58 AM PDT

If you go down that path many companies will not respond to tech support queries because it's now a matter for the legal department and no longer something the tech or user support has to respond to.

Your choice on the matter but if you want to try, top post your issue (without the lega angles) along with that all important TRANSACTION NUMBER so the Samsung Ambassador can check in on your case.

Collapse -
Here's Another One!
by jaketh25 / July 1, 2011 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know.

Well lets start off with the first problem i had with "Samsung" on my 52' LCD TV Model #: LNT5271FX/XAA.
My TV began to act strange when i would go to turn it on after it had been off for a while. It would cycle through ON/OFF for some 5-7mins. before finally coming on. i called "Samsung" about this and explained the problem. and they said there was nothing they could do for me that they were not responsible for the problem and they could not have this repaired because i am now out of warranty. So they gave me a referral to a Samsung Repair man in my Area Which i had to pay for. Instead of going there i did some more research on the problem to see if i could fix it myself because i heard it could be a very simple fix. What i came across was countless forums of Samsung owners with the same "powering up" problem. I came to find out that My TV was on "Samsung's" capacitors list for FREE Repair. So then i had to call Samsung Customer Care back and explain to them about this list i had found. Turns out they had to send someone out here to fix my powering up problem.

Now, The Samsung Technicians came out like 2 days ago. They fixed the powering up problem their were 3 capacitors that were bad and they had to replace them. It Was as i thought a very quick and easy fix. but after they had my TV on the floor face down to take the back off to replace the bad capacitors. they sat it back right side up and turn it on to check and see if they had fix the powering up problem and when they did the screen came on and had 2 black lines that are now going down the left side of my TV. The technicians said that they did not cause this and that my screen was going bad and told me a price at which they would charge (TOO MUCH) to replace it. My TV had never had anything wrong with the screen until that day and they still refuse to pay for the damage that their technicians have caused.

Why Does Samsung Refuse To Take Responsibility. I Thought They Were "BRAND NAME"

Collapse -
Now a choice for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's Another One!

You can take the path you choose but I hope you can try my advice first.

Collapse -
More lines!!
by Munch1964 / July 22, 2011 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Now a choice for you.

I have a series 9 55 inch LCD panel. Thin black lines, just appeared for no reason, TV never been moved since install. They seem to lessen after a while but always there, stronger on the left hand side. Only had TV about 2 years. Bought this out of my redundancy knowing i would not be able to afford such a luxury again (£2.7k!!) will certainly be contacting Samsung and making maximum fuss if there is no solution. Guys I would suggest checking sale of goods act as a start point as a TV should function more than 2 years.

Collapse -
by Munch1964 / July 27, 2011 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: More lines!!

Contacted Samsung and while the first line staff (obviously not UK based) were not very helpful, having fobbed me off the 1st time, the guy from Customer Service was brilliant and suggested a very acceptable compromise with minimum fuss. Thanks!

Collapse -
Black lines across the screen.
by mauin / March 12, 2012 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: More lines!!

I too have a 950 series 55' LCD TV, about 2 1/2 - 3 year old TV. Paid $3500 and now I have thin black lines across the screen horizontally. Looks like a grid. They used to go away after about 15 min. Now they stay. My TV has never been moved. If this is how Samsung deals with a known issue then I will no longer be buying any Samsung product again.

Collapse -
Your advice is useless
by status21 / March 22, 2012 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Now a choice for you.

I have tried your way and got nowhere with Samsung. Your advice is not any good.

Collapse -
It's always worth trying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2012 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Your advice is useless

I can supply other discussions where members succeeded, but this will not always work.

It's pretty simple as the warranty is only so long and well, then we would be repeating the discussions so far.

Try this. Top post YOUR STORY, the issue and the transaction number and the response from the new Facebook page at the top of this forum.

=> This thread is too old so it's going to be locked. The service issues at the top of this forum didn't exist when I replied.

Let's start over.

Collapse -
I have the same issue and Samsung no help
by status21 / March 22, 2012 8:33 AM PDT

If you are going to proceed with Class action suit I would love to help. I am experiencing the same issues and Samsung is not helping. They fixed my capacitor issue but deny the panel issue. Please contact me if you need any assistance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.