Samsung forum

General discussion

SAMSUNG 51 INCH PLASMA INTERNAL SCREEN CRACKS

by laststop2006 / December 29, 2011 3:20 AM PST

Bought model PN51D530A3FXZA from Best Buy back in Sept 2011. Yesterday on 12/27/11 while watching TV the screen suddenly just went off. Tried turning it on but no picture only audio. Looked closer and discovered under the front glass there were two internal spider cracks on the screen. There is no external damage. I've read up on this and seems like a common issue Samsung tries to side step responsibility time after time again. I've taken VIDEO of the TV which PROVES that there is no external damage and a TECH is supposed to come by sometime to verify but from reading other posts seems like the techs side with SAMSUNG. Maybe its from how hot the screens get, gasses, who knows but it wasn't due to mishandling by myself or anyone else. I've been a loyal customer with Samsung TV's for years and this is my first ever issue which I hope SAMSUNG will stand up and do the right thing as a Multimillion dollar thriving company should for their paying customers when it's obviously a manufacturing issue and a common one and they know it happens. For some reason I cant post the link to my youtube video but I will happily send to a SAMSUNG CS head. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> If SAMSUNG still denies from the video and technician I'd like to have head from SAMSUNG come to my house and PROVE it is not a internal issue. One of the worst things is when you pay hard earned full price money for a product and get something inferior in return and basically told by that company Tough Luck or word is everything and your word means crap even if you have HARD proof. I just want it fixed or replaced with a friendly smile. <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER">
<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG 51 INCH PLASMA INTERNAL SCREEN CRACKS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG 51 INCH PLASMA INTERNAL SCREEN CRACKS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SAMSUNG 51 INCH PLASMA INTERNAL SCREEN CRACKS
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 29, 2011 1:38 PM PST

laststop2006,

Collapse -
Transaction #
by laststop2006 / December 29, 2011 9:15 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> <span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> 2110826770 thank you for looking into this. I'm still waiting for a local service tech to call and stop by. I was able to type in the youtube url of the video I took www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-w1xmy4pmo

Collapse -
No Tech visit yet.
by laststop2006 / December 30, 2011 5:14 AM PST

FYI no local service techs have given me a call to take a look at the TV. It's been 48 hours. When I called yesterday to check on the status I was told it would be flagged as a priority

Collapse -
No Tech visit yet.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2011 7:14 AM PST
In reply to: No Tech visit yet.

laststop2006,

Collapse -
also....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2011 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: No Tech visit yet.

The video link isn't working. I copied and pasted it, and it says it's still processing.

Collapse -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-W1xMY4PM0
by laststop2006 / December 30, 2011 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: also....

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> My fault there was a error with what i Typed at the end of the link I made the correction try this link I just tried it and works fine.<span> www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-W1xMY4PM0

Collapse -
more and more victims
by zencapri / January 13, 2012 1:41 AM PST

I just watched your video and the crack is identical to ours. I just cannot believe Samsung is getting away with this. We have been fighting this since November now and have no plans of giving up. It's ridiculous how many people are going through this. Anyone you talk to from Samsung has what seems to be an automated response to this. It is clear as day they know very well it's a defect and this has to eventually catch up to them. I for one will not back down from this since we did not damage our tv.

Collapse -
Me too
by lilcountry1804 / September 10, 2012 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: more and more victims

I, too have a 51 Samsung plasma TV with a cracked screen.... and the Geek Squad Tech came to my home and looked at it and I heard nothing for weeks. I called 1-800-GEEKSQUAD and was told that it was from something I did to my TV........ no one was even home when it cracked!!! Samsung and Best Buy both refuse to fix, replace, of give me a discount on a new television!!! This is crazy!

Collapse -
Broken 51
by Sher-man / December 7, 2012 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Me too

My 51inch Samsung plasma was delivered to me in the box broken.i have called everyone I can think of and no one will help or replace .i have been trying to get help for 4 months. I keep getting told there's nothing they can do but here's another number you can try. Maybe somebody else can help you. My favorite is sir how are we to know you didn't break it.

Collapse -
video about crack
by daarsa1976 / November 3, 2012 4:17 PM PDT

hi, I tried to see it the video, buti can't, because i think than i have the same problem, the crack is inside of my tv samsung, but i think than my kids did, so is just here my tv without can't watching only heard, so can i seeit the video please?

Collapse -
cracked screen
by fireman8044 / January 27, 2014 4:58 AM PST

I am having the same issues as well. Samsung denies any wrong in the while thing and wants mW to pay them to have it fixed. I am in the process if filling a complaint with the BBB and looking into hiring an attorney. Has any one had any better luck than I have?

Collapse -
BBB
by richardwin / January 27, 2014 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: cracked screen

I had no luck with the BBB. Samsung wouldn't do anything for me either.

Collapse -
samsung screen cracks
by leigh49137 / January 28, 2014 12:10 PM PST

I tried to look at your utube video about the Samsung screen cracks and it says it is private. Can I please see that video? I would like to see if it is the same thing my screen is doing. Also, did Samsung ever fix the problem?

Collapse -
Update
by laststop2006 / January 3, 2012 12:52 AM PST

Still waiting to get a technician call since last week. Really blew not to be able to have the TV working had plans to use it with the xbox kinect party games for New Years party at house.

Collapse -
Nothing but complaints from other consumers about this issue
by laststop2006 / January 3, 2012 9:14 PM PST
Collapse -
Help
by Fredmertz167 / June 26, 2012 6:41 AM PDT

I have the exact same problem. I researched this online and have found this is a common Problem. Samsung told me last week to go Pound Sand. But today after telling the Exec Customer service rep. What i have found out. She offered me, Free parts but the labor is on me. This still isn't right. We did nothing to this TV. So please help me.

robzstuff@mac.com

Collapse -
Samsung pn51d550 cracked screen
by h_dejager / September 1, 2012 3:05 PM PDT

This eveing my childern were watching tv and all of a sudden the tv shut off. my husband tried to turn it on again and we noticed a white dot/light in the bottom left corner of the tv. There was just a black screen. after my husband disconnected the tvs power suppy we took a good look at the tv and noticed a crack in the screen. we rubbed the crack and can not feel any exterior cracks. seems to be internal. we purchased our tv in december or 2011. So the unit is still covered by warrenty. we have spoked with samsung and they have said that is not covered by warrenty which i believe that is unacceptable especialy after reviewing hundereds of other people expereicing the same issue as I am and I believe it is a defect of the tv set.

Collapse -
Mine just suffered the same fate
by Kurt305 / October 2, 2012 3:40 PM PDT

Hi h_dejager

My Samsung PN51D550 just suffered the same fate. Almost a similar situation except I was returning from school when I went to power on my TV, it wouldn't turn on. Then I noticed a crack and just like yours it was internal and not external. Mine is in the shape of an asterisk. Interesting part is I bought mine in December of 2011 from Best Buy and you bought yours at the same time. Seem like a universal problem. Hopefully more angered consumers find this thread. Power in numbers.

Lets Hope.

Collapse -
Hi
by Unknwnid / September 4, 2013 3:17 PM PDT

Same happened to Me at my parents house. We were all at home when this happened. The sound was on the tv went off. Few days later my brother inspected the tv and he told us that the sn was broken...

Collapse -
Re: Hi
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 9, 2013 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi

Hi Unknwnid,

I apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your TV. We would be happy to look into this issue for you, but we'll need more information to further assist you. Please contact us at qasupport@sea.samsung.com with the following information:

- Model Code
- Serial number

Thank you,

HD Tech

Collapse -
broken screen
by TexasTwister0508 / October 19, 2013 10:26 AM PDT

I hate to say this but i will never by another samsung, I also have a broken screen and samsung
wormed their way out of fixing it by not attaching the photos we sent in the first time we reported it broken
they stated they could not see the pics clearly but when I called them they could see them clearly.but refuse to pay to fix it, if they offered to provide the screen I would pay the repair cost.

Collapse -
same happened to me today
by emmaholmes / January 3, 2012 10:58 PM PST

this happened to me this morning i have a spider scratch on the internal part of the plasma tv samsung have said they wont do anything im not sure what were gonna do

Collapse -
emmaholmes
by laststop2006 / January 3, 2012 11:10 PM PST

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau & Attorney General office which I already did as of last night. Send them the link above with the numerous other complaints on the same issue. Just takes a few minutes but these complaints will shake them up. Also there are enough complaints against samsung on this issue to start a class action suit. I also work for TV so talking with some people now to bring this more to light.

Collapse -
BBB
by Amusieren / January 30, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: emmaholmes

Absolutely, that's the best you can do. And yes, Samsung and Best Buy will both be shaking in their boots if you contact the Better Business Bureau. As it is a legal system of complaints that must be taken seriously. If you guys were posting your info and stories there instead of here, they'd already be making some sort of correction. The BBB is how bad businesses get shut down. I REALLY hope my tv doesn't do what you guys are talking about, I'm worried now. But how could any of you do that to the inside screen without hurting the outside of the tv as well? The question is all it takes to know, even without much of a brain, that you couldn't possibly have done that to your own tv. I found it especially disgusting to hear that someone's tv was delivered to them DAMAGED and they refused to fix it. Now THAT is some bullshit. THEIR EMPLOYEES destroyed your tv and you get to pay for it? I would be throwing a damn fit. I dunno, break your foot in their store and sue them for it. You were in their store, and so it must be their fault. Even if you were doing friggin cartwheels. According to their principle it leaves them responsible for what you did. I would next time have them also set it up so that the employees can see for themselves it came out of the box broken. It's OBVIOUSLY a defect. The problem I have right now is there are two lines at each end of the tv and it's a lighter color from those lines to the edge of the screen and there is a line to the left of the center that is a light pink and has now turned to dark purple and on a light colored screen it is dark black. They said they'd fix it. I bought an extended warranty. If you have any sort of warranty they should be covering it, unless it's stolen. According to the warranty I bought same day or next day with the camera and computer I bought from them, they couldn't replace my camera power plug because it was missing rather than broken. So why would it being broken keep you from the benefits you paid for? It wasn't stolen. WTF is the warranty for if not to fix a broken product no matter HOW it got broken. That's the POINT of purchasing the warranty. PERIOD!

Collapse -
Sorry
by comeonjustone / January 14, 2012 5:25 AM PST

That's 2 impacts.
Do a google on "class stress crack". Those are NOT stress cracks.
2 days after you gave your child an RC helicopter and a bunch of wheeled toys you don't know how the screen got cracked?
BTW, let me put 1 piece of harder glass in front of another and I'll show you how you can break one under the other. It's not that hard.
What your video's prove is you're just like other american's with young kids playing around your expensive TV.
Suck it up and just live with it. Your child hit the screen 2 times with something, maybe mount that TV a little higher next time.

Collapse -
Really?
by zencapri / January 14, 2012 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about since most of us didn't have children or pets in the house to do anything to the tv. So where is that coming from?? Are you a glass tech? So ALL of us are making this up just to go through the headache of trying to get another tv?? I could easily afford another one but not going to pay for something I didn't do! How do you know that it's not from a defect inside the tv? Who are you? I know for a FACT that NOTHING hit my screen!!! I was in the room when it happened. Maybe you should mount your mouth a little higher since we know what you're talking out of!!!

Collapse -
To your response
by laststop2006 / January 14, 2012 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

This poster is nuts and I'll tell you why he/she has been stalking my family videos like a psycho. Saw a Xmas video where I gave my son a remote control car which somehow in his "Non AMERICAN country concept of phsyics could easily fly up in the air and hit the screen in two places. He also saw that I gave my son a mini RC helicopter that weights less then a OUNCE which number one never even worked anyway! Your claims based on NO proof at all. I know for a fact no PHYSICAL damage was caused to the TV at anytime because I was there when the TV went off and the cracks appeared. LAstly smart guy just so you know SAMSUNG looked further into my claim and found that Damage was done INTERNALLY and they are replacing my TV and covering all cost for repair.

Collapse -
Nice story, have another?
by comeonjustone / January 14, 2012 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: To your response

You're the one that posted the URLs not me.
I'm glad you browbeat samsung into fixing your TV which had 2 very obvious impact glass breaks. Although I find it funny that you didn't post about them fixing it untill someone points out you probably broke it yourself. hmm. Thanks for the update.
Maybe you can explain how something impacted your screen from inside your TV? Makes perfect sense to me. Something ran into the back of your screen, in less then 4mm of room and broke your screen from behind. Twice.
And I don't know exacty what you call 2 impact damage sites on your glass as not being physical damage.
Once again, let me put 2 pieces of glass with dissimilar tensile strengths together and I will show you how to break the weak glass behind the strong.
PS, I loved your video's of your child throwing stuff around, at least he didn't break your TV in one of them. Would have been a bit harder to convince Samsung then hmm?
As far as others without children that have impact broken screen glass, I haven't found 1 occasion on this board where someone did NOT mention other people in the home. I'm glad you all think you know everything that goes on in your homes 60 seconds a minute, 60 minutes an hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, unfortunatly that's not true, you don't. And if you want to try and convince anyone with half a brain that you do, you're going to lose that bet.
PS, I DO in fact know how people lie about how things broke without anyone touching it in their homes. And I'm sorry to tell you, there are no gremlins in the world, it's always people not knowing something or just plain trying to get something from a mistake they made. It's called insurance fraud and it costs the insurance industry hundreds of millions a year.
Samsung sold some 45 million TVs last year. If this problem where widespread there wouldn't be 30 people on C-net with this problem, there would be tens of thousands.
On the other hand, I'm very sure more then 30 Samsung TVs a year get hit and the screen broken by the customers.

Collapse -
(NT) This guy is a TROLLING.
by laststop2006 / January 14, 2012 7:56 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) This guy is a TROLLING.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2012 6:34 AM PST

For the record:

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.