Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 50" plasma visual distortion (PS50C550G1M)

by CLIFFO_83 / November 5, 2010 8:46 PM PDT

I have had the above mentioned samsung plasma 50" plasma for around 6 months now.

I'm getting a visual distortion on screen when my ps3 is on, it's a black snowy distortion on almost the entire screen.

It is really bad on the xmb on ps3.

I have tried all the HDMI ports,different cables and upgraded to the latest firmware but still get the visual snowy distortion.

I found this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWBsX_pAOpo where the guys adjusts a screw and it fixes the problem.

should I attempt this?

Any ideas

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 50" plasma visual distortion (PS50C550G1M)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 50" plasma visual distortion (PS50C550G1M)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
please reply samsung
by CLIFFO_83 / November 9, 2010 2:36 AM PST

Can someone from samsung reply to my post please..........

also I messed up the model number...it's a

series 5 50" plasma PS50C550G1F

Collapse -
At 6 months.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 6:57 AM PST

Why not call 1-800-SAMSUNG and let them fix it?

Collapse -
hdmi
by marauderxp / November 9, 2010 9:56 AM PST

I believe this to be a PS3 HDMI/HDMI sync issue rather than the TV. Try resetting your PS3 .. leave unplug/power off for a min,then hold the power button down when turning on and you should hear some beeps.

Collapse -
hdmi
by marauderxp / November 9, 2010 9:58 AM PST

I meant to say that the reset only resets the ps3 vid settings, not factory default.

Collapse -
didnt work
by CLIFFO_83 / November 9, 2010 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: hdmi

I tried the reseting vid settings but still have prob....a tech is comin to look at tv, so hopefully they can determine the problem

Collapse -
cable
by marauderxp / November 9, 2010 4:38 PM PST

Certain HDMI cables can cause that as well. I know you said you tried different ones,but were they different grades (quality/makes)?

I'm quite certain this is not TV related, as snowy HDMI is related to the output device.

Try setting the PS3 to other vid outputs temporarily then back to the HDMI if you haven't already.

Collapse -
other tv
by CLIFFO_83 / November 10, 2010 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: cable

I hooked up up my ps3 to my other tv 42" plasma and pic was fine....using same hdmi cables, so it has to be the tv

Collapse -
other tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 10, 2010 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: other tv

CLIFFO_83,

Try changing the name of the input to "Game". To do this, bring up you screen and the game console, even with the fuzzy picture.

Using your remote:

Menu > Input > Edit Name > GAME (you might try the other options too).

That may help. If not, what resolution are you sending from the game console to the TV?

--HDTech

Collapse -
tv
by marauderxp / November 10, 2010 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: other tv

<hooked up up my ps3 to my other tv 42" plasma and pic was fine....using same hdmi cables, so it has to be the tv>

If it were an identical model tv, I'd agree. But the PS3 has been known to have this kind of trouble with HDMI and likely to do with the handshaking. And sounds like a good tip from Cliffo_83. Didn't think about the game mode. In fact, game mode is pretty much a necessity for gaming to limit delay. Hey Cliffo_83, curious is game mode faster because it turns off post processing etc with the TV or is it something else?????

Collapse -
oops
by marauderxp / November 10, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: tv

oops I meant Samsung_HD_Tech not Cliffo_83 lol. Have only been on this site for a day and read the wrong part/name.

Collapse -
oops
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 11, 2010 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: oops

marauderxp,

Heh. No worries.

The game mode will remove a portion of the processing, although it should be understood that the upconversion to the resolution of the panel is still in effect.

Also, for the benefit of this discussion, the individual games list the native resolution it's designed for. Is this happening with that resolution being used? If the game console is told to read, and then upconvert the signal to a higher resolution prior to sending the signal out, it can affect picture quality, and this may be happening. Try setting the console to send the native resolution and let the TV do the additional upconversion when it has received the signal.

--HDTech

Collapse -
native res
by CLIFFO_83 / November 14, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: oops

the tv is set to display the native res and so is ps3.

the distortion is mostly on the xmb in te bottom right corner and other parts off screen.

It changes position and is around text

Collapse -
mainboard
by CLIFFO_83 / November 14, 2010 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: native res

the tech is replacing mainboard to see if that does anything

Collapse -
game mode
by CLIFFO_83 / November 10, 2010 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: tv

I have tried the game mode, but still no good

Collapse -
tv res
by CLIFFO_83 / November 10, 2010 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: game mode

ps3 is sending 1080p to tv

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.