Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 50" plasma blank screen problem

by readydough / June 21, 2010 4:05 AM PDT

A couple of days ago my samsung 50" plasma hpt5064 tv stopped displaying anything on the screen. The screen is black but sound still comes through. I cant get any menus or anything to show up on the screen. I hooked up my cable box to a different tv (same exact set up) and it works fine. I know this issue is with the tv itself but I dont know what the problem is and if it can be fixed? Ive noticed this is a common problem among samsung tv's while doing some research online but have yet to find a solution. Please help.

Jeff

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 50" plasma blank screen problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 50" plasma blank screen problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 21, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

readydough,

While it may be the TV, try connecting the cable box back to the HPT5064 and calling your service provider to reset or refresh the cable box while you're on the phone. Often times, HDCP (content protection) is also a symptom of the box not recognizing that the TV is an approved device, and a reset or update of the cable/sat box's firmware will often times fix that.

It's free and worth a try. Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung 50" plasma blank screen problem
by readydough / June 22, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

That didnt work either. Also smoke started to come out from the right back corner of the tv yesterday and it kept going through the on/off cycle non stop. The only way to get it to stop was to pull the plug. This is not normal and its frustrating. My warranty has passed and my tv is only 2 years old. They should last alot longer than this. Samsung should really step up and take care of their customers on this. I also own an LCD samsung and I am very concerned something could happen to this too. I will no longer be buying samsung products unfortunately if samsung doesnt take care of their customers. I called the samsung 800 number and all they could tell me is sorry for the inconvienence. How about if my tv started smoking when i wasnt around and something caught on fire? This a serious problem and its due to a faulty product. What can samsung do about it?

Collapse -
yup
by turo619 / July 20, 2010 2:04 AM PDT

i got he same thing as you. its been about 2 years that i go my 50" plasma. my girlfriend was watching netflix on the xbox when it went out. we dont have a cable box just the coax hooked up to the tv and we get nothing. the red light at the bottom flashes a bunch of times before it "turns on". then the white light under the logo then turns on and i only get sound. not one thing will show up on the screen.

i hope a replacement part can be easy to get.

Collapse -
me too!
by prunedac / August 28, 2010 4:15 AM PDT

Having the exact same issue with a hpt4264...can't believe Samsung will not take accountability!

Collapse -
by danada13 / October 29, 2010 1:42 AM PDT

WE are having the same issue, with the exception of the smoke coming out of the back!

Black screen, I will get the kids to go over with the Cable people to see if they can reset it.

If that does not work what is the resolution? Are you able to fix a Plasma TV? If so what would be the cost of something like this??

Unfortunately I do not kmow the model number at this time, however the screen just went black.

Thanks,
Dana

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 29, 2010 10:23 AM PDT

danada13,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your TV.

The televisions can be inspected, and repaired if necessary.

If you'd like to get a quote, I can't offer that online. However, you can reach out to 800-SAMSUNG and inquire there for service related issues.

--HDTech

Collapse -
samsung plasma black screen
by johnnydye / April 17, 2012 3:12 PM PDT

I am having the same problem. black screen and only sound. my samsung plasma 50" is about 4 years old. I was expecting 10 years out of it. I guess the plasma gas does run out after all and sooner than expected. our tv runs about 5-6 hours a day. the problem started a few months ago, when half of the screen (bottom) went out. I would toggle through source and picture size and it would fix for a second and go back to half screen. the next day it worked fine. then it happened again. did the same thing and the next day it was fine. it was getting annoying but then it didn happen any more. until today 4 months later the whole screen went black. tried my tricks and nothing only sound. hoping maybe tomorrow it wil cool down and decide to work who knows.

I heard Samsung was moving ahead of Sony as best tv maker. but apparently not. I have also had problems with HDMI inputs. they would stop working as well sometimes would send only video and no audio. but I got that working some how. now this.

I was planning on upgrading to a 65" LED and samsung was favorite option, but I think I will put Sony back on top and LG next. I have a 42 inch LCD sony 2 years old entry level that has not given my any problems yet.

Collapse -
Samsung 50" plasma bland screen problems
by danada13 / October 29, 2010 1:39 AM PDT

Good morning, it appears we are having the same issue, were you able to resolve this issue? If in fact it is the TV is there a way to get it repaired??

Please advise and thanks,
D

Collapse -
From my limited experience...
by trangler2 / February 22, 2012 6:42 AM PST

I would say that the newer TVs just don't last like your old Magnavox or Zenith tube TVs. My $3,200+ 6-year-old Samsung just started to exhibit the signs you're talking about. First, it started with all kinds of "sparkles" in the dark areas of the picture (until it warmed up totally, anyway), and then the top part of the screen went dark for a second or two or three, and then, now, the whole screen goes blank while the sound continues, for 20-30 seconds or more. WTF?

I figure, screw this thing. Repair can cost more than a new TV, and Sears has an LG 50" badged as a Zenith for $550 right now (Feb. 2012), and it's being delivered tomorrow (for an additional $70). It might not be the Samsung, but, then again, it might be better. It might be worse. But it will definitely be better than messing with repairs, or purchasing a new $2,000 Samsung with all the bells and whistles we don't have the time or interest to make use of. And 3-D? Right. I'm gonna sit around in my living room with dork glasses on to see that incredible disappointment. Seen it, don't like it, won't buy it.

Collapse -
Samsung 50" Plasma Blank Screen Problem hpt5064 tv
by cvbegay / April 4, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

Don't try repairing it won't do any good!!! I have had 2 repair company's look at my TV and nothing has worked. They tried calling Samsung and they will NOT stand behind the TV. So put another manufacturer on your list other than Samsung from now on!!!! I will NEVER buy another Samsung!!!!

Collapse -
did u want to sell
by JaymeRolland / August 4, 2013 8:46 PM PDT

Hi did you want to sell your tv? Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.