Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over again

by mcmachete / June 15, 2009 9:55 PM PDT

Hi.

About 3-4 months ago, my TV would start turning off and on a few times at startup but eventually would stay on after a couple of minutes. Every once in a while there would be pink/purple dots that would disappear by just turning the set off and on again.

In the two last week or so, this off/on process would take considerably longer - as long as 20 minutes. The red light would flash, I'd get sound for a minute with no picture, the power-on chirp would sound and then it would power off and the cycle would continue. It always managed to work itself out of this loop eventually though as previously mentioned could take upwards of 20 minutes... That is, until I attempted to turn it off last night and it just would click on and off and on again continuously. After 5-10 minutes of this without being able to shut it off completely, I pulled out the power cord. I waited a few minutes and when I put the power cord back in, it immediately began cycling on and off again. I tried plugging the cord directly to the wall and I also left it unplugged for over 6 hours - with no change.

I bought this TV Summer of '07. It's out of warranty but it's still much too new to be this defective considering it cost well over $2000. A device of this price and supposed quality should be able to last longer than 2 years! My previous positive experience with this TV led me to recommend it to my boss, a friend, my parents and my in-laws. I hope theirs won't meet the same fate...

What kind of repair costs will this incur (I'm in Los Angeles)? And is there anything I can try before calling in the expert and his inevitable over-pricing?

Thank you.

---
Samsung 46" LCD TV LNT4665F X/XAA Version SQ01

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over again
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 16, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

mcmachete,

How far out of warranty is it, and did you purchase an extended warranty to cover issues like these?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over agai
by mcmachete / June 17, 2009 5:17 AM PDT

Thank you for your reply.

I unfortunately bought the TV in August of '07 and I do not have an extended warranty.

But when you say "issues like this," does that mean that problems are expected on TV's older than a year?

Also, I filled out a service request yesterday and was supposed to receive a call from a local repair shop by noon today but I've received no such call yet.

And as a follow up on my TV, I plugged it in this morning curious to see if it would eventually turn on and it's been on an on/off loop for over 4 hours.

Again, thanks for your reply and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Collapse -
A not uncommon problem...
by mcmachete / June 17, 2009 5:52 AM PDT

It seems that this is apparently a not uncommon problem for Samsungs as this thread has a large number of people experiencing this same issue:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=320011&tag=forum-w;forums06

It looks like repair estimates are up to $1000, nearly half of what I originally paid - and is even more outrageous when you consider that a new TV model (Samsung LN46B550, for example), can be bought for $1200 (Though I can't say I can trust another Samsung TV if this issue is so rampant).

Collapse -
Re: Samsung 46" LCD TV (LNT4665F) turns off and on over agai
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 19, 2009 10:33 AM PDT

mcmachete,

I meant issues like anything that could go wrong after a year that would require service.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

If you'd like, you can get assigned to a service center through 800-SAMSUNG as well, and possibly see if you could escalate your issue. I can't speak for service, but it may be worth inquiring to see if something can be done on your behalf.

--HDTech

Collapse -
NOOO...
by WX MAN / June 27, 2009 1:23 PM PDT

I was looking for a solution, my TV began doing this one week after the warranty expired. Sad part is I?ve already had to have the entire screen replaced during the one year warranty. So within 13 months my $2400 TV broke twice? Think I?ll be going with a different company next time, just wonder how long do I have until its completely broken?

Collapse -
Fixed
by mcmachete / June 27, 2009 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: NOOO...

Repairman said that the capacitors used on my Samsung were only 10V and that the welding was poor. He replaced the capacitors with 25V and re-soldered the bad welds (he felt that for an LCD this size, 15V should be the absolute bare minimum). Now it's working normally again.

This seems like something Samsung should take care of since apparently it was their corner-cutting that caused this. This could have been avoided by Samsung spending literally pennies per TV on better capacitors and welds. Pennies! Instead it's $260 out of my pocket because the TV miraculously made it past its warranty.

I love my Samsung's picture, and I have recommended Samsung to my family and friends as well as my employers (I'm a video editor) - purchases easily in excess of $30,000. But now I am having my doubts regarding Samsung...

Collapse -
$260 better than a new TV
by WX MAN / June 28, 2009 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

Still rather pay $260 for the TV to be fixed instead of buying a new TV. I'll give the repair guys a call, thanks for the post.

Collapse -
Definitely better
by mcmachete / June 28, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

It's definitely better than a new TV or a new board for the TV, but it's still a cost that could have been easily avoided by Samsung.

Collapse -
Ditto for On/Off Looping and Purple/Pink Dots
by sjcareyjr / July 1, 2009 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Definitely better

My LN-T4665F attempts three start-ups before finally coming on with purple/pink dots. I purchased it at Circuit City two years ago. Has there been any response from Samsung regarding a recall or adjustment?

Thanks for posting your story.

Collapse -
Ditto for On/Off Looping and Purple/Pink Dots
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 9:44 AM PDT

sjcareyjr,

There isn't a broad announcement, however in some cases, these issues can be addressed on a case-by-case basis with our service department. Since it's out of warranty, you might want to check with our Executive Consumer Relations (ECR) Department by calling 800-SAMSUNG. I don't know what their decision will be, but it may be worth asking about.

--HDTech

Collapse -
On and off syndrome
by skipanellin76 / June 27, 2011 8:27 AM PDT

We too purchased a Samsung TV, and after a little over a year experienced the problems described. Following the advice above, we called the Samsung 800 number and asked for Executive Customer Relations. They asked for the Model Number and Serial Number, and from there could tell that we purchased it at Sam's and when. They arranged for a tech to come within a couple of days. He was here for about 3o minutes, changed 4 capacitors and the TV works like new again. There was no charge. That's pretty good service I would say.

Collapse -
Me too
by nmhouchin / July 10, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

I have the same problem and I'm about 2 weeks past warranty. If there is any way to get the name and phone # of your repairman I'd be very greatful. thank you

Collapse -
Me too
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 12, 2009 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too

nmhouchin,

Are you residing in the United States?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Yes
by nmhouchin / July 13, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

I reside in southwest New Mexico

Collapse -
Yes
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

nmhouchin,

If you register your product online, you qualify for an additional three months of warranty coverage. You can do that here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do

Once you've registered, call 800-SAMSUNG and explain your issue and they should set you up with a service. If there's a problem, request a transaction number and post it here, and I'll see what I can do to assist.

--HDTech

Collapse -
warranty
by nmhouchin / July 15, 2009 8:08 AM PDT

With the additional 3 months I am still about 3 weeks past warranty

Collapse -
3 weeks...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 1:37 PM PDT

Give it a try. If you can't get resolution, see if you can get a transaction number for the call and post it here. I can't guarantee anything, but maybe I can help.

--HDTech

Collapse -
power cycling
by carlsonr / November 25, 2009 11:00 AM PST

My 46 inch model 750 is cycling on and off. This seems to be a problem with a lot of consumers. Samsung can only send in a tech to fix for $$$$.

help.

Richcarlson@comcast.net

Collapse -
parts.
by mkaraoglan / January 9, 2010 10:24 AM PST

will these work?

CAPACITOR, 1000UF 25V CAPACITOR, 1000UF 25V; CAPACITANCE:1000UF; VOLTAGE RATING, DC:25V; CAPACITOR DIELECTRIC TYPE:ALUMINIUM ELECTROLYTIC; SERIES:FC; TEMP, OP. MAX:105(DEGREE C); TEMP, OP. MIN:-55(DEGREE C); TOLERANCE, :20%; ;ROHS COMPLIANT: YES

and

CAPACITOR, 1000UF 10V CAPACITOR, 1000UF 10V; CAPACITANCE:1000UF; VOLTAGE RATING, DC:10V; CAPACITOR DIELECTRIC TYPE:ALUMINIUM ELECTROLYTIC; SERIES:FC; TEMP, OP. MAX:105(DEGREE C); TEMP, OP. MIN:-55(DEGREE C); TOLERANCE, :20%; ;ROHS COMPLIANT: YES

THANKS@

Collapse -
Could not turn off the power or change the input
by munnguyen / March 2, 2010 4:51 AM PST

I could not turn off the power or change the input on my TV. My warranty have ran out in Nov with the 3 month because I register online when I bought it. I have try to look for update to the firmware, but the one online is what I have. The only thing I could do with this TV is switch the channel and volume up and down. If I want to turn this TV off, I either need to unplug the TV or hold the power button on the remote for like 10 secs plus. I bought this TV because it is rear project DLP and LED technology, which suppose to last longer than the old technology. I start giving me problem less than 2 year. Do you have any suggestion for the problem?

Collapse -
lnt-405h, takes 3 attempts to turn on in the morning
by dplavsic / June 9, 2010 2:32 PM PDT

I have a Samsung lnt405h lcd. In the morning when I turn on the tv it turns on and off 3 times by itself before turning on completely and staying on. I bought the tv in 2008 brand new at Sam's Club.

Collapse -
TV Down
by ja-60 / July 17, 2011 1:50 AM PDT

I have the same issue with model

LN40B550K1FXZC. Bough it in Jan 2010. It stopped working in Apr 2010. The Samsung contractor replaced the main board. It broke again the last day of my warranty. I again lodged a trouble ticket and the contractor kept the tv for a week. He could not duplicate the problem and he said Samsung would not agree to change the board a second time.
Brought it home and it worked till now. Last nite, it shut itself off 8 times in one hour.

I just sent a letter to Samsung. I understand my warranty is over but no one wants to replace a tv every 15 months. Very poor product

Collapse -
another frustrated customer
by msingson / July 14, 2009 1:20 AM PDT

I also have this issue and it is frustrating. Is Samsung going to help us out in any way? From what I read in the thread, its a manufacturing flaw in the product. Shouldn't there be a recall for this product by now? How many more customers is Samsung willing to lose because of this?

Is there an update about this yet? It's come to the point where I would rather leave my TV on all day instead of waiting for it to do it's start up routine.

Collapse -
Recall overdue
by johntechman / August 24, 2009 7:52 AM PDT

"I also have this issue and it is frustrating. Is Samsung going to help us out in any way? From what I read in the thread, its a manufacturing flaw in the product. Shouldn't there be a recall for this product by now? "

Yes, there should clearly have been a product recall. The problem is widespread, affects numerous models, has very consistent symptoms and fix, and there is no excuse whatsoever for Samsung trying to pretend it is a random issue. It is an insult for them to deny it, and it is criminal for users to pay their repair or replacement costs for a few dollars worth of parts. Please help hold their feet to the fire until they do the right thing.

Collapse -
Purple Dots on Samsung LCD LNT5265FX
by mikeydog67 / November 27, 2009 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Recall overdue

I bought my Samsung LCD LNT5265FX from Best Buy in June 2007 for over $3000. I started seeing purple dots on the display on November 17 2009. Then it was purple dots and green vertical lines. Now the tv takes longer and longer to power up and makes a bunch of clicking noises until the picture comes on. Of course it is out of warranty, but still only 2.5 years old. The dots go away by turning the tv off and then on again. Samsung tech support claims they have no alerts or bulletins or history of this problem on their LCDs. I told them I'm seeing these complaints all over the internet and Samsung still denies the problem to me. The local service center in Austin, TX also claims they have not heard of this problem before I submitted the service call. He said it would be $65 just to come to the house and look at the tv. I originally told him I could not predict when the problem would happen, but now it is getting worse.

Has anyone gotten Samsung to admit there is a problem and do anything about it? If not, may be we should organize a class action law suit to force their hand. I am not a lawyer. Does anyone know how to get that process going?

Please update this thread with any progress with Samsung and repairs.
Thank you.

Collapse -
I'm frustrated too!
by sm2az / November 21, 2010 1:55 PM PST

I am also experiencing the on/off issue. It takes about 10 minutes to start the tv, and it's getting worse. To hear that the issue is due to an undersized capacitor is disappointing. We spent over $2000 for this TV, and this should not be acceptable to Samsung at all. I am asking Samsung to help me find a repair person in Scottsdale AZ.

Collapse -
your repair
by kavikanil / August 1, 2010 3:45 PM PDT

i live in the los angeles are and i would appreciate being able to go to a local repairman who already has experience with this problem.
could you give me the name, number of your repairman.

Collapse -
LA repair shop with experience with capacitor problem
by tpssl / February 27, 2011 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: your repair

Does anyone have recommendations for an authorized repair person in the LA area?

Collapse -
$260 better than a new TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 4:35 AM PDT

WX MAN,

Before calling the repair shop, did you see about registering your product online? Doing so will add an additional 3 months of warranty on your product. After registering, you should be able to call 800-SAMSUNG and have a service tech set up a repair tech call for free.

It's worth a shot if it saves $260.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Don't buy a Samsung
by mattcrist / August 6, 2010 4:09 PM PDT

After a few minutes of research, it looks like thousands of people are having the same problem I'm having. My Samsung 46" TV is turning on and off and off and on over an over again.

I bought the TV less than 2 years ago, and while it was under the manufacturer's warranty, I had the whole thing replaced. They replaced the mainboard, and several other components. 4 months later, and no longer under warranty, my TV is still doing the same thing.

I called 1-800-SAMSUNG, and the customer service rep said, "No problem. Your TV is not under warranty, but this is a known issue. The bulbs in your TV are defective and we will send a tech out free of charge as a one time courtesy."

An incompetent tech arrived, borrowed my computer for two hours to download software he could've obtained while he was home, put it on his jump drive, "updated" my computer with "necessary updates" and left. My TV is still doing the same thing. He did nothing to fix the problem. He said it wasn't swollen bulbs or sensors and sent me a check for $160 after waisting my whole evening and complaining about my Internet speed. He was probably in a hurry to leave so he could get back home and watch TV on his Hitachi. Samsung followed suit by denying the workers charges and sticking me with the bill. Their products are faulty and they replace faulty products with new faulty products, because that's all they have to offer...well, that and a $1,200 TV that is junk. Don't buy Samsung products!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.