Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000 3D Emitter not working

by sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd / October 25, 2010 12:58 AM PDT

Hello,

I am looking for a Service Manual for Samsung 3D TV (UN55C8000).
Currently my TV is not emitting 3D sync signal for the 3D Glasses. I can see duel (3D) effect on the TV (Blurry) but Glasses are not receiving any 3D Sync Signal. Test the glasses with my Friends TV (same model) they are working fine.

Please provide the service manual or repair instruction if possible.

Thanks & Regards,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000 3D Emitter not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000 3D Emitter not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My bet
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2010 1:05 AM PDT

Is that such manuals are not published. But try 1-800-SAMSUNG to see if they are available.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000 3D Emitter not working -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 25, 2010 6:11 AM PDT

sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your TV.

Are you using the Samsung 3D glasses?

The service manual is usually available on www.samsungparts.com or by calling 800-627-4368, but since you have a C-series and it's likely still under warranty, why not call 800-SAMSUNG and have them schedule a repair?

Also, do you have anything blocking the left hand bottom size of the bezel? You can check to see if the emitter is working by holding up a cell phone camera and enabling the 3D device to see if it powers on.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung 3D TV UN55C8000 3D Emitter not working
by sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd / October 25, 2010 2:27 PM PDT

Thanks for the info. I verified that nothing is blocking the Emitter. I think i will call Samsung first thing in the morning.

Collapse -
Checked 3D Emitter with Cell Phone Camera
by sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd / October 25, 2010 2:44 PM PDT

I did not see any activity after enabling 3D Device.

Collapse -
Checked 3D Emitter with Cell Phone Camera -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 26, 2010 11:39 AM PDT

sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd,

Sorry to hear. It's probably best to have the unit inspected and repaired then. Did you check to see if your unit is covered under warranty?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Checked 3D Emitter with Cell Phone Camera -
by sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd / October 26, 2010 2:21 PM PDT

I called Samsung Support today. Some one will visit and check it soon.
Thanks a lot for your support. I will post the findings of Samsung Engineer.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG 3D SYNC ISSUE RESOLVED
by jibberjabber00 / October 27, 2010 7:12 AM PDT

I've been searching for an answer to the 3d sync issues I've had from the start between my UN46C8000 and my active 3d glasses. I thought it would be helpful to run down the troubleshooting list I went through to resolve as there certainly a lot of possibilities given the components, content, connections, and the opinion/misinformation that is floating around about 3d in general.

My setup:

Tivo Premiere
Denon AVR-1911 (HDMI 1.4 compliant)
PS3 (updated firmware to work with 3d content)
Samsung UN46C8000 (updated to the latest firmware to fix ghosting)
Samsung active 3d glasses x 2
1.4 HDMI interconnects between all components
40 ft 1.4 HDMI w/Ethernet from TV to AVR
A brightly lit room with windows all around (plenty of glare and interference)

I have a legacy in-the-wall homerun of cables from the wall where my old plasma was mounted to a component rack in the same room at a different location, about 12' as the crow flies, but about 35' in-the-wall. Since the house was built 7 years ago, it was time to run an HDMI cable. I went with MP cable, and had a lot of questions for them about long runs and certified high speed cables, etc. So, to clear something up about standard vs. high speed and 1.3 vs. 1.4 w/wo Ethernet: just because a cable isn't certified high speed doesn't mean that in the real world it is not capable of delivery HD 3d content. For example, the longest certified HDMI cable MP sells I believe is 25', however, in the real world, they have tested runs much longer and have been able to have HD 3d work flawlessly. Also, 1.3 cables in general should be fine too, they just won't have the return data stream wire that the new 1.4 will have.

After installation/setup, it was apparent that although my TV was receiving 3d content (double image, Samsung 3d icon), my glasses were only intermittently displaying said 3d content (they would dim the TV would display fantastic 3d content, and then quickly lighten and be back to a double image) -- a sync issue. I also noticed that if I stood within 3' of the TV at about a 45 degree angle from the IR emitter the glasses would stay synced. I wasn?t quite satisfied with that workaround, so I started at the task of eliminating potential causes.

First up, the glasses. My thought was perhaps the glasses needed new batteries (I doubted it was the IR on the glasses as both had the same problem). I took a trip down to my local BB store to test the glasses with several 3d Samsung TV's in-store and the glasses worked flawlessly. Note, I tested these out in the main part of the store under the bright fluorescent lighting with IR and flashing screens all round. The glasses never lost their sync. The glasses weren?t the issue.

My next step was to eliminate any interference that might be coming from the AVR. I didn't think this was the issue as HD and HD3D should be an all-or-nothing connection, but what the heck. So I connected the PS3 directly to the 40' HDMI cable which connects directly to the TV -- same issue. Next I connected with a 6' HDMI cable and still the same problem with syncing.

Finally, I tried different content: Monster House, MLB 3-D, How to Train a Dragon, all with the same result.

Time to call Samsung now that I had given it the good college go.

Based on what I told them they ordered a new IR emitter and motherboard and a tech came out 2 days later. The first thing he did was to take his cell phone camera to verify the IR emitter was sending a signal (apparently digital cameras are good at this, causing red eye and capturing images of ghosts in movies). Nothing. I tried with my cell phone and another DSLR to no avail. This didn't make any sense given the fact we were able to view solid 3d content at a specific position; obviously something was working, just not that effectively.

He deputized me and I helped him un-mount the TV and take off the cover. The first thing he did was replace the IR unit. Cover back on, remount, same problem

Motherboard next, rinse and repeat -- same GD problem!

Call into a super tech guy down in New Orleans who tells him that the previous 7000 series had a know issue of some tape covering the IR bezel from the side. Nada.

So he calls it quits for the day and tells me he'll call super tech guy tomorrow and get back to me.

Next day I get a call and he tells me he has it solved and we'll be out in a hour to fix. I giggle like a school girl.

He arrives, and as we are doing our master/apprentice thing for the umpteenth time, he tells me he had a job that morning to fix an 55" 8000 series IR emitter and realized that the emitter on my set was installed the opposite direction!! I spill a box of matches on the ground to see if his savant like skills work in other applications but no such luck.

So a little switcheroo, cover back on, back on the wall, system on, DVD playing, glasses on, us holding hands on the couch AND....

Wait for it.

BAM, perfect 3d content bad room lighting in all! I moved all over the room, shook my head and never lost sync. Problem solved!

So, my recommendation is to test the following before calling Samsung:

1. Find a location about 2-3' just left of the screen and loot at the IR emitter on the bottom left of the screen (while playing 3d HD content of course). Do the glasses dim and do you see a 3d image? If yes, proceed to step 2, if no, and you see a double image, it's the IR emitter or motherboard.

2. Take a digital camera and with 3d content playing see if you see a flashing light coming from the IR emitter. If no, than I'd bet you a sack of 3d glasses that the emitter is installed incorrectly.

Sorry for the long diatribe, I just thought it might answer any questions that would come up.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2010 10:13 AM PDT

jibberjabber00,

This was without a doubt one of the most enjoyable reads I've seen all week.

Thanks for the in-depth feedback and taking the time to help people out.

When you say it was installed backwards, I'm not understanding how that could be. The emitter is a single emitter, one direction, and doesn't swivel. I'd be interested in hearing your take on that if you were able to watch him replace or adjust the IR.

40' cable from the PS3? That's some serious cable. Again, thanks for the information, and the chuckle. Happy

--HDTech

Collapse -
by jibberjabber00 / October 27, 2010 12:33 PM PDT

Glad you enjoyed! And I must say I was extremely pleased with the responsiveness of the Samsung call center and local tech support.

So, good question about the direction. The emitter was facing forward correctly. Now, facing forward can be right side up or upside down (pin connector on the left or on the right). In this case the pin connector was on the wrong side (so it was upside down), which in effect had the IR emitter in such a position (even though it was facing foward) that it didn't line up with the bezel, hence the reason it wasn't able to send a signal. So, there you have it, world peace, feed the hungery, and fix the economy all in a nutshell.

Do I get 2 more 3d glasses so the rest of my starving children can enjoy 3d TV Happy

Collapse -
UN55C7000
by FloridaLiving / February 5, 2011 4:06 AM PST

New out of box no 3D emitter output either. What is going on with samsung's quality control? Just got off phone with level 2 support to verifly it is a tv issue.
Same as posted above. there is no emitter seen with cell phone camera. I was unable to find a spot where glasses turned on at. Going back to the retailer!!
To make things worse the demo model at the retailer didn't work either. I hoped it was just that one and went ahead and purchased the same model anyway.
when you turned on 3D in the model next to the one not working the glasses turned on and showed 3D in both models. That tells me an external IR emitter would work too if one had one.

Collapse -
forgot to mention
by FloridaLiving / February 5, 2011 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: UN55C7000

Oh, and I am confused about the backwards emitter. The tech replaced the orginal emitter as stated and problem remained?!?! So the tech put the replacement emitter in wrong also?

Collapse -
Not backwards, upside down
by jibberjabber00 / February 6, 2011 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: forgot to mention

Just to be clear, it isn't backwards per se, but updside down. For example:

====> vs <====

Where the tip of the arrow is the emitter, the one on the left would line up with the bezel and the one on the right would not. Both are facing forward correctly, but only the left has the right positioning.

I'm suspecting when they replaced, they assumed it was installed correctly the first time and just replaced it in the same direction. If they rotate it 180 degrees it likely will work.

Collapse -
accessing emitter
by FloridaLiving / February 5, 2011 6:34 AM PST

Jibber how hard is it to get access to the emitter?

Collapse -
accessing emitter
by sdfgsdffsdfsdfsd / February 5, 2011 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: accessing emitter

Not a big issue,
Samsung Tech came to my home and put TV upside down on carpet. Unscrew couple of screw and remove back panel. There is only one mother board and simple wiring.
Still I can't risk my investment, do you?

Collapse -
very easy, but
by jibberjabber00 / February 6, 2011 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: accessing emitter

Very easy to access, however since it is under warranty I would have them do that as it would suck big time to void your warranty, right?

Collapse -
replacement tv
by FloridaLiving / February 7, 2011 12:43 PM PST
In reply to: very easy, but

I took it back to the retailer for exchange. replacement works great.

Collapse -
Great to hear
by jibberjabber00 / February 7, 2011 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: replacement tv

Glad to hear! One thing to remember -- good HD-3D is VERY dependent on the quality of the content. I've found that movies that were made specifically for 3D (i.e. how to train your dragon) are vastly superior to movies that translated 2D content (i.e. Monster House).

Enjoy!

Collapse -
Same problem, different solution
by mgbtv / February 21, 2011 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Great to hear

Exactly the same problem with my floor-model UN55C8000, and I followed your excellent tip with the digital camera and saw no emitter output. I opened the back of the TV, carefully removed the emitter pc board but didn't see any apparent issues. I traced the wires from the emitter back to the mother board and saw that the edge connector was slightly unseated. I seated the connector firmly, reinstalled everything and crossed my fingers. Voila! 3D works perfectly!

I don't recommend this for anyone who may be uncomfortable getting inside equipment or worried about future warranty issues. Plenty could go wrong and cause more trouble than you bargained for. But for me it was a calculated risk and it worked out. Thanks to you all on this forum for sharing your experiences!

Collapse -
phone number for samsung
by samsungpoorquality / March 10, 2011 10:22 AM PST

You might also try , it is another samsung help #

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove phone number that is not for public use. Please refer to 1-800-SAMSUNG. on 03/11/2011 on 10:51 AM PT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.