Samsung forum

Alert

Samsung 2011 Plasma TV Screen Filter is Peeling Off.

by roraniel / June 2, 2011 3:54 AM PDT

There have been several reports on multiple forums of the
screen filter starting to peel off of 2001 Samsung Plasma TV's.

Through a pole being conducted over at HighDefJunkies it has been determined
that it is affecting all sizes of the D7000 & D8000 Models built in March
April & May.

This could be affecting more than these models. Please share your experiences
with this issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 2011 Plasma TV Screen Filter is Peeling Off.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 2011 Plasma TV Screen Filter is Peeling Off.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 2011 Plasma TV Screen Filter is Peeling Off.
by roraniel / June 2, 2011 3:58 AM PDT

Can a Mod change the 2001 to 2011 please?

Collapse -
Moderators can't edit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 4:06 AM PDT

We can only lock and delete. But a tip is needed here.

A pole is a stick.

And if you have this issue you call it in, get your transaction number then post here with model, transaction number for the Ambassador to look at.
Bob

Collapse -
Please delete
by roraniel / June 2, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Moderators can't edit.

if you delete the thread I will start over, Thanks

Collapse -
Too late.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Please delete

Please answer the Samsung Ambassador's questions and be sure to add that transaction number to see what can be done with your TV.
Bob

Collapse -
Does...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 4:18 AM PDT

Does anyone have pictures of this?

Collapse -
No
by roraniel / June 2, 2011 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Does...

This has not happened to my TV. Several people on the forum I participate in who have the issue will be posting info about their TV shortly.

Thanks

Collapse -
Then help them move along faster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: No

I offered what's needed above. I'm left to guess why you posted if your TV is fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Roraniel is doing people a favor.
by davidjschenk / June 2, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

Roraniel posted because a bunch of members on our forum (HDJ) requested it, and they apparently don't have accounts here. Thanks for doing this, btw, roraniel. The word over at AVS is that one owner there now has screen peeling that is encroaching onto the pixels. One way or another, Samsung had better get this fixed pronto.

Yours,

David

Collapse -
David.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

They need to do one more thing and share the tips to get the best results. It would be a shame to do otherwise.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob
by davidjschenk / June 2, 2011 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: David.

Hi Bob,

I certainly agree with that. That is what the interwebz is all about, after all--sharing information to improve our collective lot.

Yours,

David

Collapse -
This forum is a little better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob

If you follow along you discover something very nice. Let's hope between you and Chris that folk will take the tips and get some resolution.
Bob

Collapse -
Roraniel is doing people a favor.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 6:25 AM PDT

davidjschenk,

Collapse -
Hi Samsung_HD_Tech
by davidjschenk / June 2, 2011 7:20 AM PDT

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech,

I wasn't trying to be at all prickly in my posts. I am not an owner and have no dog in this fight (or in your manufacturer's fight with its various competitors, for that matter). I only meant to explain why roraniel posted what he did, as there seemed to be some early suspicions about his motives.

Anyway, while I cannot control which owners with problems over at HDJ do or do not decide to post here, I can provide you with a link to someone's photo of their troubled 59D8000, which they are having replaced. Please have a look here (just in case the hyperlink doesn't work: http://www.highdefjunkies.com/showthread.php?10444-Official-Samsung-PNxxD7000-8000-Screen-Filter-Is-Peeling-Thread&p=241059&viewfull=1#post241059).

Yours,

David

Collapse -
Hi Samsung_HD_Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Samsung_HD_Tech

davidjschenk,

Collapse -
Try to keep the clutter down?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 8:09 AM PDT

I see we have 19 posts and finally one good post with the needed details for the ambassador to take a look at.

All this clutter may slow the process down. Please help everyone along here.
Bob

Collapse -
Why the sarcasm?
by roraniel / June 2, 2011 8:40 AM PDT

Why the sarcasm?

We are consumers buying products in good faith. Pardon us if we get excited when a product that cost thousands of dollars fails. We came here for help not sarcasm.

I started this thread because I belong to a tech junkie community that tries to help each other. I am also a current Samsung customer that has delayed ordering a new D8000 specifically for this issue. I would think Samsung should be concerned that current customers are considering buying another brand because of this issue. Si I decided to take the bull by the horns and start this thread to perhaps get some resolution as opposed to jumping ship. I apologize if the thread is not moving along to your satisfaction.

Please help us help ourselves but maybe without the sarcasm.

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't see any sarcasm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Why the sarcasm?

It's a fact we are now at 26 posts and one person with the issue, the all important transaction number so let's watch what happens.

There's a lot of clutter in this thread which can hinder the process. Again I apologize if asking for less is offending you.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No

roraniel,

Collapse -
PN64D8000 Peeling issue
by x2c4me / June 2, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

I received my TV Friday 5/29. Have not used it to view any source material but have been running break in slides

Model: PN64D8000
Version #: I101
Manufactured: May 2011

Photo's
http://imageshack.us/g/857/img0795t.jpg/

Collapse -
PN64D8000 Peeling issue - New!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

x2c4me,

Collapse -
RE: PN64D8000 Peeling issue
by x2c4me / June 2, 2011 9:56 AM PDT

As I already mentioned, my TV was delivered Friday, May 27th. I did a quick visual inspection to make sure the TV wasn't damaged during transit and delivery. There were no apparent scuffs, scratches, nicks, dents or cracks on either side of the TV. After installing the stand, I powered it on and immediately began running the break in slides recommended on highdefjunkies (HDJ) for evenly aging the pixels.

It wasn't until Sunday that I noticed a couple of members on the HDJ Samsung PNxxD8000/D7000 Owners thread mentioning their TV's were suffering from some sort of peel. After reading the posts I performed a much more thorough inspection of the entire TV, inch by inch. This is when I noticed the peel that is visible in the attached images.

I live by myself and by extension am the only person to have touched the television. I was very careful removing the protective membrane that surrounds the bezel and have in no way, shape or form touched the screen. The spot does not appear to have grown any since discovery.

I have not called the Samsung # you provided because the issue is still in its infancy and from what I have read the
technicians are performing a swap of the panel only. I don't want to seem rude but I didn't buy a TV
with a 3,799.99 MSRP price just to have it serviced 7 days into ownership. The only acceptable option is to have the TV fully replaced. At this point I have been waiting to see the extent of the issue.

Collapse -
Interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 10:09 AM PDT

I've found it best to report such things ASAP before any exchange period runs out. I wonder what is going on here but the Ambassador is here and while the influence out side the US is limited I can only hope this turns out well for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 2, 2011 12:54 PM PDT

x2c4me,

Collapse -
PN64d8000 Update 1
by x2c4me / June 3, 2011 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay.....

I have taken your advice and contacted 800-SAMSUNG. Explained the situation to the rep and he initally said it was a physical defect that is not covered by Samsung. He encouraged me to return the TV to the retailer to have it replaced. I politely said he was WRONG and this issue is not a physical defect but a manufacturing defect that others were also experiencing. I requested to have a technician service the TV and additionally referenced another ticket to support my claim. After reviewing the other ticket he set up for an in house service call. I was told the local technician will contacted me within the next 2 business days to schedule the visit.

Ticket# 4008324446

I will provide a further update once the technician performs his inspection

Collapse -
Samsung PN screen peeling
by Colbrin / July 23, 2011 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay.....

Went to BB today and both the 59 and 64 demo models had several (ALOT) of tiny bubbles on the screen. What a shame, have done alot of research and was going to purchase the 59 when I came across this problem.

Collapse -
I have a peeler too
by JohnnyRX7 / July 5, 2011 9:59 AM PDT

Add me to the list.. June build 64D8000.. Only 1 corner (upper right) so far.. no hints of it any where else... Really hoping for some kind of in the field fix... Like remove bezel and reapply some adhesive or something.. should not be that hard. My panel does not buzz, runs luke warm to the touch, no dead pixels.. otherwise is amazing.

Collapse -
What will Samsung do.
by Extreme22 / July 21, 2011 1:00 PM PDT

So with all these complaints why is it that samsung is just sitting on there hands, i am so appalied<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> by samsungs attitude towards this issue, now I'm in canada and I'm having this issue. i have a 59inch D8000 and i am so pissed off i would never of thought that samsung would let something like this slip there quality control,
now i have advised my customers at Future shop to avoid samsung till they can fix this issue,
we had 2 demo d8000 d7000 and both had peeling, we quickly removed these models from our show room,
all i know is that i love samsung but i have stopped selling it due to the fact that we had 10 returns, and i lost good money due to it, now i have read these forums and i can clearly see that samsung has and been avoiding the answer to help us paying customers to come to some kind of resolution, and why is that samsung?

Collapse -
Let's be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: What will Samsung do.

If folk don't call it in then the issue is not logged and those that don't call in may miss out on what happens next.

As almost has been written in this discussion I have little to add but this. I've seen what happens when folk do not call it in.
Bob

Collapse -
Peeling is not affecting all sizes
by chrissaid / June 2, 2011 5:09 AM PDT

From what I've read on the boards, there is an issue with D7000s and D8000s, but not with the 51" sets, only the 59 and 64. It seems like a small group has been affected about 10-20.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.