Samsung forum

General discussion

SAMSUNG 2011 LED TV and Amazon Instant video

by bisw2000 / December 20, 2011 1:01 AM PST

Amazon prime instant video apps is not there in the new 2011 model SAMSUNG TV. In earlier models, Yahoo widget had an apps for amazon instant video. Now it is not there. Anybody know when Amazon will have a apps for Amazon instant video for new TVs. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMSUNG 2011 LED TV and Amazon Instant video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMSUNG 2011 LED TV and Amazon Instant video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung & Amazon Prime
by DBAGuy--2008 / December 20, 2011 4:25 AM PST

I've tried both Samsung and Amazon, apparently neither of them care...odd that Amazon apparently wants to challenge Netflix, but drops the ball on this. I may buy a Roku box to give me Amazon Prime capability (ironicially, will probably buy it from Amazon, lol).

Collapse -
Samsung & Amazon Prime
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2011 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung & Amazon Prime

DBAGuy--2008 -

Collapse -
2011 pn D8000 and Amazon
by spoiler1041 / December 26, 2011 8:14 AM PST

After 2 hours of online chat and on phone with supervisor for level 2 support (she was helpful) I have this.

The December 1024 firmware had support for amazon app but it is still not available.

I assume this means it is at least in the works. Look for new firmware to solve the issue.

I was also told it would still be under yahoo not smart hub.

Chat support had me hold the exit key to reset the receiver but that only deleted my settings.

Collapse -
December 1024 firmware
by MKNW / December 29, 2011 1:48 PM PST

I found the 1024 firmware for my new PN51D8000 and installed it (via the network, not USB). TV reports firmware as 1024 but not 1024.3 which is current version shown at link below.

It did not install or enable Amazon Prime video support (neither could I find it in the Yahoo widgets). I tried downloading the firmware from the website to a USB stick, but the TV would not find the update.

Interestingly, the information for the 1024 firmware DOES mention something about Amazon, but I think the Google translate of Korean to English garbled things a bit.

The firmware for PN51D8000 is here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/plasma-tv/PN51D8000FFXZA

The specific language I refer to regarding Amazon is: "- This firmware can be available Amazon app."

Entire text of what the firmware is supposed to do is:
1. Title Firmware for PDP TV D8000 series.(ver 1024.3)
2. Applicable Model 51D8000FF, 59D8000FF, 64D8000FF
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer all customers
4. Description - This firmware enhances security. - This firmware can be available Amazon app. - This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model) - Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode - Change the type of information of Info banner - Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc) - Support Remote Service - Support Netflix 3.1

Best,

Matt

Collapse -
December 1024 firmware
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 30, 2011 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: December 1024 firmware

MKNW,

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by MKNW / January 6, 2012 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: December 1024 firmware

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Too bad that you never got an update, but I'm assuming we'll find out if there is going to be a VOD app or not eventually.

Matt

Collapse -
Samsung & Amazon Prime
by Iogin / July 8, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

According to Amazon, the apps have been delivered to Samsung over a year ago and Samsung refuses to provide them on their 2011 and 2012 models.

Collapse -
You may be right!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2012 1:27 PM PDT

Amazon gets to push the makers to do this. This is not like a PC or Windows or Android where you have a choice.

Think about the Tivo and how it's locked down. This system is not about what you want. Sorry if some find this offensive.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. That other detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2012 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: You may be right!

It's possible there are other reasons such as it didn't pass a test or there is not enough memory, CPU or other issue.

Again, unlike a PC, you may never get the full story.
Bob

Collapse -
It's in Amazon's Court
by ovrdrvn / June 13, 2013 9:12 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.